Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Intriguing, that a lot of the early Marvel's had a lot Anti-Communist propaganda; I can't recall many UK comic strips that had similar slants - refighting WW2 yes, but not the Soviets.
    As you bought the first issue of 2000AD then you might have noticed a 'Soviet' subtext to the Volgan army in the 'Invasion!' strip starring Bill Savage. Pat Mills originally called the 'Volgans' Russians and the first strip was drawn accordingly but at some point management decided the bad guys should be fictionalised and had the artwork altered.

Mike actually had a rather public spat with Pat Mills in the pages of The Guardian at the time of 2000AD's launch over the content of 'Invasion!', which should be documented around here somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    I will look further into those sites, David.

I lost interest in British Comics once I discovered Marvel in 1972, although, I use to read Victor before and Valiant. So I could catch those other heroes references in the early Alan Moore & Davis' Captain Britain. Then came back with 2000ad, which I still remember getting the first copy. I did read some Battle as well.

I have started to read Essential Thor Volume one and seeing how Kirby's Thor series developed. Intriguing, that a lot of the early Marvel's had a lot Anti-Communist propaganda; I can't recall many UK comic strips that had similar slants - refighting WW2 yes, but not the Soviets.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Hansen
    replied
    As usual, I'm following more titles than is really sensible so I have to pare back my pull list. What I'm probably enjoying most these days are the Green Lantern family of titles, the LSH titles (inc. R.E.B.E.L.S), Batwoman, and Doom Patrol. I used to favour Marvel over DC but I've been drifting away from them as I really haven't cared for the direction they've taken that universe in recent years. Oh, and my other fave - tho' I wait for the collected volumes - is Bill Willingham's brilliant FABLES.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Rather interested in the art work of a Warlord Strip called The Shark - which reprints 4 pages - very etching line b&w, very odd. However, I am having trouble locating anything on the web. Any one know any more?
    'Fraid not, since I only had a glancing acquaintance with Warlord (2000AD and The Crunch were more my comics), but you might try making enquiries at www.26Pigs.com , which is primarily a market place for old British comics, but also has quite a lot of information about specific titles - see http://www.26pigs.com/warlord/index.html. Nothing about The Shark there but there's an email link where you could ask if anyone else knows anything.

See also http://www.kellyscomics.com/warlord-comics.php where I found this:

(Might be related, might not. )
    Last edited by David Mosley; 12-21-2010, 01:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Comics-...uct/184596554X

Just finished reading, 'When the comics went to war'. Looking at British War comics from the early start in the late 19th Century to its decline at the end of the 20th Century. Fascinating stuff.

Rather interested in the art work of a Warlord Strip called The Shark - which reprints 4 pages - very etching line b&w, very odd. However, I am having trouble locating anything on the web. Any one know any more?

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    WhiteWolf359, did you get that black & white Dr Strange special from a few months back? Some good stuff in there.

Also the paperback Dr Strange Masterworks collection came out a few weeks ago collecting the first Lee/Ditko stories. I thoroughly enjoyed that one. Can't wait for volume 2.

On the recommendation of a couple of comics blogs I've been digging that Empowered series from Dark Horse.. I can't work out if it's sexy or sexist (it does seem somewhat self-aware) but it is rather funny and sweet.

Did anyone else get the last issue of Strange Tales II? I think that was the best issue of that series so far and the best Marvel comic of the year (imo etc). I loved the James Stokoe story and the Harvey Pekar one was sweet too. Possibly the best Machine Man story I've read too among other gems. Anyone know who did the USAgent story?

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    As usual, I'm reading about five books at once, and a few comics. I ordered "The Coming of the Terraphiles" from Amazon.com during their Black Friday free shipping sale and am enjoying it immensely so far. Also reading an odd little alternate Civil War (U.S.) novel called "Lincoln's Sword," a new Battle of Britain book, "The Most Dangerous Enemy" by Stephen Bungay (deluxe illustrated version), "Lady Death Origins," a graphic novel condensing some of the Avatar comics I missed and "Destroyer of Worlds" by Larry Niven and Edward Lerner, the third of a very good trilogy of prequels to "Ringworld" which features Nessus the Puppeteer, Louis Wu, Beowulf Schaeffer and some of the other principals. Seems the Puppeteers manipulated a lot more than was hinted at in "Ringworld." I haven't started the one yet, but the first two were great. My fiance has a subscription to Marvel Comics online. I can't even begin to catch up on all the "X-Men" titles these days, but I'm enjoying the new "Captain America" series and "The Avengers," thought I still wish they'd give Doctor Strange his own book again. And I'm going to order and read the new Vampirella series as well. I'm a big Vampy fan from way back! I read the old Warren Comics Issue No. 1 in my childhood barbershop!
    Last edited by WhiteWolf359; 12-05-2010, 04:58 AM. Reason: Forgot Vampy!

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    So I got over some of my bitterness towards comics and have upped my subscriptions, although they are still down considerably from the 14+ comics a month I was getting:

Thunderbolts
    XMen Legacy
    New Mutants
    Azrael
    Freedom Fighters

Of those, TBolts is the best, followed by XMen Legacy. The other three are still on the potential for the chopping block.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Knife
    replied
    So impressed with issue 2, I had to get hold of Issue 1 of Ultimate Thor. Excellent stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Knife
    replied
    I picked up issue 2 of Ultimate Thor. Excellent stuff, I would highly recommend it, especially if you've never read Thor and would like to get into it before the film.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    My comic book club has been reading Wonder Woman's The Rise of the Olympian, which had some good points, but felt just another 'Doomsday' type villain crashing around and destroying lots of things.

Leave a comment:

• TMP
    replied
    Sharon Webb's Earth Song Triad

I just finished re-reading Earth Child, Earth Song, and Ram Song all by Sharon Webb. These were written in the early to mid 1980s. Did anyone else read/remember them?

Leave a comment:

• opaloka
    replied
    Started getting season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The writing is most excellent. The art is... not exactly

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I just found out (with my latest shipment of comics) that Greek Street and Madame Xanadu have both been cancelled (GS as of now, MX from the next issue). I also see that Morrigan Snort is off Batman and Robin, so with my other recent cancellations I'll be down to just:

2000AD (sub)
    Judge Dredd Megazine (sub)
    Hellblazer
    glamourpuss
    R.E.B.E.L.S.
    The Unwritten
    Hellblazer: City of Demons (didn't actually request this but it's only five issues so I'll let it slide)
    DMZ (in trades)

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    I did know the owner of Odyssey 7 in the early 80s briefly, as I worked for another comic dealer at marts in Manchester and Liverpool.

I did visit the Corn Exchange shop, rather pokey. The IRA bomb was good for Manchester in that it. There were improvements to the Arndale and the other 'neglect' parts between Victoria and Piccadilly stations were used for temporary shop. Odyssey 7 sold out to Forbidden Planet and FP shop is in Oldham Street for the last few years. Not bad, two floors with books, toys and RPG stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X