Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've decided to take a punt on a new comic (mini-series) from Aspen called Jirni:

I'm not sure Aspen have a particular reputation for good comics and I won't be surprised if Jirni turns out to be just another common-or-garden T&A comic book but the 'Arabian Nights'-style elements looks like it could a bit different from the usual superhero/mutant fare pushed by the Big Two and Paolo Pantalena's artwork reminds me of Juan Jose Ryp a bit - so at least it might be decent T&A comic book.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
      Just bought Essential Fantastic Four nos 3 and 4.

Going through a Kirby phase at the moment and seeing his artwork in black and white is also a joy.
      I think FF #43-#63 - as contained in Essential Fantastic Four #3 - is my favourite ever run of that comic. Also worth getting is Essential Doctor Strange #1. This contains the entirety of Steve Ditko's work on the character and is a revelation. Ditko's early work on Doc is all moody shadows and atmosphere, work flattened and diminished by the limited colour they had to work with during their initial publication. This is one case where b&w is definitely superior to colour.

Comment

• Swamp Thing Classic from Len Wein and Wrightson! I actualyl always wanted to read this, now it is on comic stores here I just could not avoid grabbing it! Well, the text and art are superb despite some talking that sounds a bit not natural, but the whole thing has a psychedelic atmosphere mixed with EC comics. I would not say it is better than the Alan Moore books, but it is quite good despite some flaws, which I really think are due to the fact most comics were written that way back in 1972...
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Hansen View Post
          Originally posted by Pebble View Post
          Just bought Essential Fantastic Four nos 3 and 4.

Going through a Kirby phase at the moment and seeing his artwork in black and white is also a joy.
          I think FF #43-#63 - as contained in Essential Fantastic Four #3 - is my favourite ever run of that comic. Also worth getting is Essential Doctor Strange #1. This contains the entirety of Steve Ditko's work on the character and is a revelation. Ditko's early work on Doc is all moody shadows and atmosphere, work flattened and diminished by the limited colour they had to work with during their initial publication. This is one case where b&w is definitely superior to colour.
          Yep, I have the first three Doc Strange's which include the Marvel Premiere issues that rarely got over here. The first Spider-Man volume is great as it contains all Dikto's work.
          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• A book I picked up at random last year that I'm still avidly following is Matt Kindt's ultraparanoid but not humorless Mind Mgmt, which has an auteur art style that's all its own...

And as Alan Moore's melancholic and otherworldly Fashion Beast draws to a close, Matt Fraction's wizardly collaboration with Mike and Laura Allred, FF, gets better by the month. For my money, that's been the best book by the Big Two in 2013. I've alternately liked or hated Fraction's work on other books, but FF (as differentiated from the flagship title Fantastic Four, which he's also writing) is as good as anything Marvel's ever published: it features a heady mix of well-developed characters, surreal storylines and good-natured irony set in the Allreds' cartoon dreamlands. Makes you think of the Lee/Ditko era and the far future at the same time.

Comment

• This gathers a few Alan Moore stories for DC, actually two of my favorites are in this book:

What happened to the man of tomorrow ?
              And
              For The man who has everything

Finally have this on hardcover and actual size!
              9 US Dollars that were really worth!

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• I was reading Gaiman's Mister Punch, I had it for a while, but postponed reading it because I found it a bit disturbing, but I decided to go ahead and I am actually loving it. Coincidentally today I bought Gaiman's Ocean At The end of lane and found them both similar because they deal with childhood memories from an adult perspective..

Comment

• I did get myself a copy of, The Best of Alf Tupper: The Tough of the Track, which I thoroughly enjoyed. A jobbing welder and Olympic gold medalist track champion, Alf was one of the few non-war related characters in D.C. Thomsons' The Victor comic and is now virtually a piece of Britain's industrial heritage. Not just a wallow in nostalgia.

Finally got round to getting the first three collected, softcover, Buffy tVS [Season 9] books. Season 8 went a bit awry and although Season 9 has had its moments, so far there does seem to be a danger of it losing focus.

Will get the rest, if I can, though and I'm tempted to get the Angel & Faith, season too, which has been much better received.

Not very alternative, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Captain America and New Avengers. I recommend both of these great books.

Comment

• I grabbed a hard cover version of Neil Gaiman's "Books Of Magic" with a preface by Roger Zelazny!

// Actually it was released here a month ago, but only now I acquired it
                      Last edited by zlogdan; 09-03-2013, 04:25 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

JH Williams III has just announced that he and his co-writer Haldeman are both off Batwoman as of #26 due to repeated last-minute editorial interference, the final straw being they aren't being allowed to have Kathy Kane & Maggie Sawyer getting married (despite Kathy's proposal to Maggie being a significant plot strand of the last few issues).

The upshot of this will be that come 2014 the only DC New 52 title I'll still be buying will be Animal Man, and the only other DC titles I expect to be pre-ordering are The Unwritten v2 & Sandman Overture. And yet, I'm the exact 45-yo demographic that DC (that is, Dan Didio) says they're publishing comics for.

Irrespective whether DC are specifically anti-gay marriage or just anti-marriage in general, someone in DC Senior Management needs their ass seriously kicking because unless they're deliberately trying to drive their target demographic away this business plan isn't working.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Strange, because DC has made some male characters out, it is quite weird that they censor female gay marriage.

Comment

• Couldn't agree more, Dave. I'm in your demo, and I'm down to 1 N52 title myself, and that's The Flash. My early optimism about the relaunch was totally misplaced. The number of artists who have baled out over the past year or so surely seems to indicate that DC Entertainment is less concerned with art than it is with product.

Comment

• They're certainly not concerned with Entertainment as far as I can tell.

Comment

• As Dial H has now finished my regular buying of DC in a floppy format has now ceased.

I'm presently (finally) working through my X-Statix omnibus. I'm really impressed. I think this is the first X-boo I've genuinely liked since Jeff Parker's series with the old team.

Also reading the Saturn Apartments and Knights of Sidonia manga series.

Comment

Working...
                                X