Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    Back to my hometown I went to a used book/comics store ( we call it Tallow here because the books are supposed to gather a lot of it when they get old ) and I left the place with:

Alan Moore/Alan Davis The Complete D.R. and Quinch
    Howard Chaykin Black Hawk
    Grant Morisson Zenith

Yeah yeah, Zenith is GOOD. Thanks David, EA.

PS: I forgot to tell you I paid 15 dollars for the whole thing!

I love DR & Quinch... I often forget it when I think of Alan Moore, but it's one of the best comics 2000ad ever produced imo!
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

• En retard

I just begin to read : The Hobbit !
      Papi

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
        Amazon are doing The Spectre vol. 1 at £7.50 and I couldn't resist.
        Faced with great choices recently provided to me by a Lexington (Kentucky) comic seller, neither could I!

Comment

• Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
          What a scrap!!!
          forum

Comment

• This last weekend I went to a bookstore here in Crapland ( They are a French chain store ) called FNAC. They had lots of Alan Moore, hardcovers, but the cheapest was costing 50 US Dollars ( Tom Strong vol1 and vol2 ). Alan Moore complete DC special stories, around 65. I know I am unemployed and I was weak: I bought a Will Eisner paperback ( Brazilian edition with nice packing ) Life In The Big city for 20 dollars. To my defense, I have wanted to buy this for ages and I could not resist.
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• You have to treat yourself sometimes, Zlogdan!!! Will Eisner is one of the greats! I never owned much by him, but I've always loved his work.
              forum

Comment

• I had bought it a year ago and always meant to read it but only now I am starting reading Gaiman's "Signal To Noise"... Dave McKean's art is impressive!
                "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Will Eisner is definitely one of the true artists in the comic books field.

I'm just thinking about ordering a copy of, Victor: The Best of Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track, to add to my British comics collection.

Comment

• Just bought Essential Fantastic Four nos 3 and 4.

Going through a Kirby phase at the moment and seeing his artwork in black and white is also a joy.

Really only getting Hawkeye as a monthly title and that as a digital download.

Zogldan - Never got to meet Dave McKean as he came to our printing company one time as we printed his early books, which I did get file copies.
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Until it stopped, the Boys by Garth Ennis was my favorite ongoing series, doing for the superhero genre today what Watchmen did decades ago. Some people are turned off by Ennis's liberal use of violence but he's a master at character development. In an age where comic book movies (perhaps the most public face of the comic industry) focus so heavily - to my great annoyance - on origin stories rather than character development, Ennis's writing is really refreshing. For anyone who hasn't read the Boys, I highly recommend it. Few comics do such a good job at subverting our expectations from the superhero genre and telling superhero stories in such a surprising way.

Likewise, Mard Waid's recent Irredeemable was quite good - for a number of similar reasons.

For comics still running, I'm really enjoying Chew by John Layman, Sweet Tooth by Jeff Lemire, Locke and Key by Joe Hill, American Vampire by Scott Snyder, Morning Glories by Nick Spencer, Powers by Brian Michael Bendis, and the Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. Kirkman's Invincible is also pretty much at the top of my list despite the fact that I expected it to be completely uninteresting and starting reading as a fluke. To my great surprise, it's bar none the greatest neo-Silver book that I've read.

Dan the Unharmable by David Lapham is interesting but I don't know where it's going to develop as a story. I'm also reading Hell Yeah by Joe Keatinge, which isn't far enough into the story to show whether it's going to be something worth pulling or not.

I'm not reading much of anything by Marvel at the moment and the only new 52 stuff by DC which really caught my interest is Lemire's run on Animal Man and Snyder's work on Swamp Thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedBstrd View Post
                        Few comics do such a good job at subverting our expectations from the superhero genre and telling superhero stories in such a surprising way.
                        Hey I really recommend you J.M DeMatteis and Mark Cavallaro "The Life and Times of Savior 28" if you have not read it yet! Best super hero story since Watchmen IMO.

Comment

• Thank you for the suggestion. I'll add it to my list of things to read or catch up on, like the Unwritten by Mike Carey.

Some day I'll get through all of the books I have to read. I'm also trying to work my way through the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft as well as Fritz Leiber.

Comment

• I've been buying heaps of graphic novels and trades (some floppies too) but I'm currently obsessed with Mike Baron's The Badger via the not so recent IDW reprints. It's goofy comic book action with half a brain. And like all my tragic obsessions the reprints stop at volume 4...

Similarly I got Garth Ennis' Complete Battlefields volume 1 in paperback, loved it and now I discover volume 2 is only available in hardback...
                            (vol 1 is only available in paperback, of course!)

Comment

• my goodreads profile, it is all there...

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4695052

Comment

• OK now I just read Grandville for the first time... Whoa, so good!

And I didn't realise it was in colour.. I bought it on spec due to you guys talking about it here. Never judge a book by it's cover..

(and another badger! ha)

Comment

Working...
                                X