Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree with you on both points, Pebble. Aparo's art is what got me reading Detective, The Brave & The Bold...a bunch of stuff. I had decent copies of some of his Stranger issues, but I got rid of them because of flood damage. After that incident, I haven't kept comics in a basement.

Comment

• Back in 2005 I sold my 76 Sandman issues - plus special editions- because I needed money and I thought I would not regret. 2 months later I started regretting. In 2008 I got a paperback issue of Preludes and Nocturnes part 1 issue. In 2010, part 2. This year I have got a few of the paperback collections:

- Doll's House
      - A game of you
      - Seasons of Mist
      - World's End
      - the kindly ones

Last two were Doll's House and my favorite: World's End.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
        Back in 2005 I sold my 76 Sandman issues - plus special editions- because I needed money and I thought I would not regret. 2 months later I started regretting. In 2008 I got a paperback issue of Preludes and Nocturnes part 1 issue. In 2010, part 2. This year I have got a few of the paperback collections:

- Doll's House
        - A game of you
        - Seasons of Mist
        - World's End
        - the kindly ones

Last two were Doll's House and my favorite: World's End.
        I'm currently reading Sandman Volume 6 fables and reflections

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
          I'm currently reading Sandman Volume 6 fables and reflections
          Probably, at least in my opinion the second best arc of issues. Just after World's End.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Currently on Sandman Volume 7: Brief Lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
              Currently on Sandman Volume 7: Brief Lives.
              You are almost reaching issues 50-56, my all time favorite comics probably.

Comment

• Amazon are doing The Spectre vol. 1 at £7.50 and I couldn't resist.
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I'm not a huge comic fan but I just ordered the second collection of Fletcher Hanks. Only old comics interest me these days, back before the dreaded comic code, when true auteurs and mavericks were allowed to create their own rules in a new format. If you've not read it, I can truly recommend checking out Hanks' first collection.
                  forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                  2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                  3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

• I've been meaning to get those Fletcher Hanks collections for ages... The odd Fletcher Hanks stories I've found on blogs are pretty mental.

Those Adventure Comics Spectre images look great. I'd love to see that stuff reprinted.

The two things I bought are the Metabarons omnibus and the American Flagg vol 1 hardcover.

Anyone else following the Dungeon Quest books by Joe Daly? I love them. It's like a comic book adaptation your daft school D&D campaign but better.

I really like those Richard Corben Edgar Allen Poe adaptations that Dark Horse are putting out. Are these new or reprints? I might stump up for the hardcover collection of stories from Eerie magazine.

Comment

• The Life And Times Of Savior 28, JM DeMatteis and Mike Cavallaro. Superb story so far ( I am on volume 1 ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris T View Post
                        I've been meaning to get those Fletcher Hanks collections for ages... The odd Fletcher Hanks stories I've found on blogs are pretty mental.
                        I really recommend them. I've just finished the second collection and I have no qualms in saying that this man is a genius! It's made me hungry for more old golden age comic book fun. I've been thinking that this might hit the mark!
                        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

• Today I finished the Penny Century volume of the Love & Rockets reissues. So good...

One more volume and I can start the "New Stories" series..

Comment

• Got some second hand, almost new comics:

Gotham City 1889 Brian Augustyn
                            Batman master of the future the same
                            tom strong , two of them. One looks like volume 1 of the saga and the other is something with ants.
                            Deep Blue ( not sure if this is title this way in English) Warren Ellis
                            terminal city Dean Motter

I am also re-reading The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 and 2.

Last edited by zlogdan; 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Back to my hometown I went to a used book/comics store ( we call it Tallow here because the books are supposed to gather a lot of it when they get old ) and I left the place with:

Alan Moore/Alan Davis The Complete D.R. and Quinch
                              Howard Chaykin Black Hawk
                              Grant Morisson Zenith

Yeah yeah, Zenith is GOOD. Thanks David, EA.

PS: I forgot to tell you I paid 15 dollars for the whole thing!

Last edited by zlogdan; 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

At the risk of getting slightly ahead of myself, in a few short weeks my pull list is going to look like this:
                                • 2000AD (weekly newsagent purchase)
                                • The Unwritten
                                • Batwoman
                                • Justice League Dark
                                • Animal Man
                                • Fury Max: My War Gone By
                                • Hellblazer - cancelled as of #300
                                • Red Lanterns - dropping 'cos Peter Milligan's off it as of #20
                                • Red Hood and the Outlaws -dropped 'cos Kenneth Rocafort left as of #13
                                • Swamp Thing - dropping 'cos Scott Snyder & Yanick Panquette are both off it as of #18
                                • Judge Dredd Megazine - no longer worth the money to buy regularly, from now on it's going on an ad hoc purchase schedule dependant largely on the 'free' reprint floppy that gets bagged with each issue

So, with the exception of Tooth, that just five comics a month I'm getting. I guess without the New 52 it could be just three but on the whole I think the New 52 has been something of a damp squib in the main. DC need to let of this obsession with '52' and concentrate on producing less titles but more better written/drawn comics. IMO there just isn't enough talent out there to support the number of comics DC are pumping out. As it is, with the tonne of Bat-titles and John Constantine guest appearances coming out each month DC looks more and more like the woeful Marvel of the '90s with its obsession with multiple X-Men comics and Wolverine guest-appearances aimed at inflating under-performing titles. Given that the people running DC now are the same people who were working at/running Marvel in the '90s I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise. :(

(I still need to get round to picking up a copy of Elric: The Balance Lost #12 (preferably with Cover B) sometime; after all the 'hype' at the launch this did kinda fizzle out in the end it seems. (Not a reflection on the quality of the comic, btw just that most online retailers didn't seem to get the final issues in (at least, not at reasonable prices, that is).)
                                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                                X