Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I've just read 'Space, Time and Nathaniel', by Brian Aldiss. Excellent early SF stories by one of the true modern masters of the short story, as well as being one of the great exponents of the paragraph.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Picked up a copy of Essential Man-Thing volume 1.

All those odd comics that I missed or found stories elsewhere. Intriguingly Gray Morrow drew the first Man-Thing story, must look him on the web. Another similar artist, is Tony Salmon.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I bought a bunch of stuff since I last updated here but one that really impressed me recently is the Beast of Burden: Animal Rites hardcover from Dark Horse, which I must confess I only got because it was on special...

Whoa.. This is a great comic book. I highly recommend it.

Not exactly suitable for the young ones even though it contains talking animals.

Leave a comment:

• Draggg
    replied
    Savage Dragon
    Invincible
    and some other indies.

Leave a comment:

• Vazkar Asquinol
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
    Just dug up a comic whose hero is a 1930's pilot called January Jones (!), a great looking blonde who gets into all sorts of trouble. And of course she's giving the Nazis a hard time ...
    By Eric Heuvel and Martin Lodewijk (Texts) from the Netherlands.
    No idea if it ever managed to get translated into English...

Might add the book was published 1988, so a good deal of time before the actress became known or stopped playing with dolls for that matter.
    January Jones gets a mention by Gareth Ewing.

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/blog/blog.php

Ewing's work is Claire ligne as well in The Rainbow Orchid and is worth getting LE.

January Jones?

This January Jones?

The Madd Men January Jones?

hummana hummana hummana!

Scrumptious!
    Last edited by Vazkar Asquinol; 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Another thing I got last week was the first issue of the new Dark Horse Presents anthology series. Excellent stuff: I particularly liked the Chaykin and Corben contributions. I'll definitely be following this series.

It also included an interview with Frank Miller about his new Xerxes project. I like how he's getting into Classical Greek history and putting his own spin on it. But I'm not sure I can agree with his assessment of Spartan warriors as "heroes" though. The battle of Thermopylae was definitely heroic but Spartan society... hmm. I wonder if he's read about the helots yet. It should be interesting when he gets up to the Peloponnesian War.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I got the latest issue of the Deadpool MAX series: is it just me or does it seem like Kyle Baker is doing his version of Elektra Assassin? Not that that is a bad thing. The colours esp. are reminiscent.

I got the second issue of Who Is Jake Ellis? Not bad but it might read better as a trade.

I bought the first volume of the Superman Chronicles trades reprinting the earliest Superman stories in chronoligical order. I'd heard a lot about how 1930s Superman was more fun. So far I'm enjoying the kinda scratchy art and how he only has super strength, leaping and running and not 100 other powers. Lois Lane is the star of course.

I've started on volume one of the Marvel Masterworks reprints of The Fantastic Four, reading these stories in order for the first time ever. Jack Kirby rules.

And I just put in an order for the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus. I was going to hunt down the missing issues from my collection from when I was a kid but I was sold on the new colouring in this edition.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    By the way, you might already have seen this, but Sean Phillips also recently illustrated a short noiry story for the LA Times magazine.

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2011/...on-sunset.html
    I'd heard of it but didn't realise you could actually read it online... Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris T View Post
    Tom Murphy, thanks for the tip re Sweet Tooth! I have now read both trades and can't wait for Part 3 in June.
    Phew - I felt terribly responsible after you said you'd bought the first volume

I also got the last issue of the recent Incognito series and read all five issues in a row. Another great super-science noir pulp adventure. It didn't blow me away as the first trade did, but art and writing were solid nonetheless. Lots of hints/teasers for the inevitable third part next year.
    I've also been piling those up for a splurge!

By the way, you might already have seen this, but Sean Phillips also recently illustrated a short noiry story for the LA Times magazine.

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2011/...on-sunset.html

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    OK I read the last issue of Neonomicon. I loved this series. It's classic Alan Moore. The ending was great too.
    Now I want to reread my Lovecraft books. David, I really do hope that there is a part three in the Moore Cthulhu cycle.

Tom Murphy, thanks for the tip re Sweet Tooth! I have now read both trades and can't wait for Part 3 in June. The art is great: it has a kind of naive, dreamy style which fits the story perfectly. Brilliant

I also got the last issue of the recent Incognito series and read all five issues in a row. Another great super-science noir pulp adventure. It didn't blow me away as the first trade did, but art and writing were solid nonetheless. Lots of hints/teasers for the inevitable third part next year.
    Last edited by Chris T; 04-13-2011, 02:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Ok I just got back from the shops. A quick list of what I got:

Sweet Tooth TBP no 1
    Orc Stain #6
    Jennifer Blood #2
    Nonplayer #1 whose art look spectacular.

(no Marvel or DC capes this week!)

David M, I've got the last issue of Neonomicon last week which I'll read along with my other recent comics when I'm well enough again for my usual comic reading ritual I'll respond to your comments then.

I did read Wilson. I didn't quite get why
    . Maybe it's something I'll pick up on a reread...

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Alan Moore's Neonomicon #4 was finally published the other week. After the 'extremes' of #2-3 this was a much more low key finale.

Which leaves everything on a bit of a cliffhanger, but by not tying all the loose ends up neatly with a pretty bow Moore allows those loose ends burrow into your mind (like tentacles?) after the story ends and gives it an edge I don't think it would have if it was resolved cleanly. Throughout the story I felt there was a sense of being not quite able to see the entire picture, that something was just outside your field of vision, but maybe you might catch it out of the corner of your eye if you turned your head just so....

There's definitely scope for a third part to Moore's Cthulhu mythos comics (The Courtyard being the first) but given how long ago Neonomicon was written (and the circumstances of it being written in the first place) I suspect there won't be. At least not by Moore. Neonomicon isn't one of Moore's great masterpieces by any stretch, but it's nonetheless quite a respectable little tale, and certainly more memorable than some of the WildCATS/Spawn stuff he wrote for Image Comics in the '90s.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Thanks for the tip, Tom. I'll check out a Sweet Tooth trade next time I'm at the bookshop.

Re Deadpool: I am loving the new Deadpool MAX series by Kyle Baker and David Lapham. This is also the first comic I've read and bought with Deadpool in it. So I can easily recommend it as a jump on point the the uninitiated like me, although I hasten to add that all the action occurs in another alternate "MAX" universe kind of thing.

I relented and picked up a copy of Daniel Clowes' Wilson the other day when I was really grumpy. I started reading it on the bus and actually laughed out loud a few times. I've been "saving it up" but I might just read it now.

I nearly read Grandville as Glandville...

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    I managed to have an early night last night and vowed to make a start on my ginormous backlog of unread comics.

I started off with going back to the beginning of Sweet Tooth - Jeff Lemire's book for Vertigo. I'd read the first couple of issues when they came out, but had been stockpiling it since them.

It's set in rural America after some unspecified pandemic has wiped out most of the population. Most of the few remaining children seem to be human/animal hybrids; the main character, Gus, is a nine-year old boy with antlers who has been raised in total isolation but has to venture out into the wider world when his father dies.

Lemire's got a lovely scratchy art style and a fantastic grasp of timing and pacing. I really enjoyed the first five issues and I'm looking forward to ploughing through the rest (I think it's up to about ish 20 now).

As with a lot of Vertigo books, you can download a PDF of the first issue. There are also - I think - three collections out so far, starting with Out of the Woods.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
    Just dug up a comic whose hero is a 1930's pilot called January Jones (!), a great looking blonde who gets into all sorts of trouble. And of course she's giving the Nazis a hard time ...
    By Eric Heuvel and Martin Lodewijk (Texts) from the Netherlands.
    No idea if it ever managed to get translated into English...

Might add the book was published 1988, so a good deal of time before the actress became known or stopped playing with dolls for that matter.
    January Jones gets a mention by Gareth Ewing.

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/blog/blog.php

Ewing's work is Claire ligne as well in The Rainbow Orchid and is worth getting LE.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X