Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rothgo
    replied
    Tried American Vampire David? I've only read the first volume, but as good as The Unwritten is/was*, I still preferred a bunch of biters.

*Note; I've only read vol. two of the unwritten.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Updating my current regulars:
    • The Unwritten (the best comic of the last two years)
    • glamourpuss (the second best comic of the last two years)
    • Hellblazer (for as long as Milligan writes it)
    • 2000AD
    • Judge Dredd Megazine
    • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (as and when it comes out)
    • Elric: The Balance Lost
    • Jennifer Blood
    • Batwoman (whenever it eventually comes out)

Plus Dodgem Logic (seriously the best magazine of the last two years) which doesn't really count as a 'comic' (and is currently on hiatus) but it will be a 'regular title' for as long as Alan decides to publish it.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Picked up Showcase present Enemy Ace.

Even though, it is in b&w, there is some fantastic Joe Kubert artwork, this is definitely worth the money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...=1AAWIKYT44I5T

Interestingly, Amazon is showing that the Doc Savage marvel magazine are now in reprint.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Originally posted by Chris T View Post
    I'm hanging out for the Man-Thing Omnibus so I can read them in colour. <insert Man-Thing size related joke here>
    Intriguingly, some of them are in B&W from Marvel Magazine line, some interesting work, there like the Doc Savage, which worked well and the Incredible Hulk.
    Dammit. That complicates things a bit.

Stuff that's been floating my boat recently:

DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore
    Continuing my Alan Moore kick since the Neonomicon series finished, this is great. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I had not read 'For the Man who has Everything' before.

Reid Fleming: World's Toughest Milkman
    I got an issue of this when I was a kid and loved it, although looking back I'm sure I didn't get half the jokes. I love this collection so much I've stopped reading it and am 'saving it up' (I know, it's mental).

New floppies I'm getting:

X-Men (2010)
    Mainly because I'm a sucker for stories with the original team

Elric: The Balance Lost
    I usually avoid comics based on books or TV shows but I'm a Moorcock tragic (shocking revelation, I'm sure) and this one turned out to be rather good. It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

Leave a comment:

• JonnyMagus
    replied
    Just got the first graphic novel of Scalped by Jason Aaron. The most full on in-yer-face comic I've read in ages.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris T View Post
    I'm hanging out for the Man-Thing Omnibus so I can read them in colour. <insert Man-Thing size related joke here>
    Intriguingly, some of them are in B&W from Marvel Magazine line, some interesting work, there like the Doc Savage, which worked well and the Incredible Hulk.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Picked up a copy of Essential Man-Thing volume 1.

All those odd comics that I missed or found stories elsewhere. Intriguingly Gray Morrow drew the first Man-Thing story, must look him on the web. Another similar artist, is Tony Salmon.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I've just read 'Space, Time and Nathaniel', by Brian Aldiss. Excellent early SF stories by one of the true modern masters of the short story, as well as being one of the great exponents of the paragraph.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Picked up a copy of Essential Man-Thing volume 1.

All those odd comics that I missed or found stories elsewhere. Intriguingly Gray Morrow drew the first Man-Thing story, must look him on the web. Another similar artist, is Tony Salmon.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I bought a bunch of stuff since I last updated here but one that really impressed me recently is the Beast of Burden: Animal Rites hardcover from Dark Horse, which I must confess I only got because it was on special...

Whoa.. This is a great comic book. I highly recommend it.

Not exactly suitable for the young ones even though it contains talking animals.

Leave a comment:

• Draggg
    replied
    Savage Dragon
    Invincible
    and some other indies.

Leave a comment:

• Vazkar Asquinol
    replied
    Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
    Just dug up a comic whose hero is a 1930's pilot called January Jones (!), a great looking blonde who gets into all sorts of trouble. And of course she's giving the Nazis a hard time ...
    By Eric Heuvel and Martin Lodewijk (Texts) from the Netherlands.
    No idea if it ever managed to get translated into English...

Might add the book was published 1988, so a good deal of time before the actress became known or stopped playing with dolls for that matter.
    January Jones gets a mention by Gareth Ewing.

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/blog/blog.php

Ewing's work is Claire ligne as well in The Rainbow Orchid and is worth getting LE.

January Jones?

This January Jones?

The Madd Men January Jones?

hummana hummana hummana!

Scrumptious!
    Last edited by Vazkar Asquinol; 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Another thing I got last week was the first issue of the new Dark Horse Presents anthology series. Excellent stuff: I particularly liked the Chaykin and Corben contributions. I'll definitely be following this series.

It also included an interview with Frank Miller about his new Xerxes project. I like how he's getting into Classical Greek history and putting his own spin on it. But I'm not sure I can agree with his assessment of Spartan warriors as "heroes" though. The battle of Thermopylae was definitely heroic but Spartan society... hmm. I wonder if he's read about the helots yet. It should be interesting when he gets up to the Peloponnesian War.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I got the latest issue of the Deadpool MAX series: is it just me or does it seem like Kyle Baker is doing his version of Elektra Assassin? Not that that is a bad thing. The colours esp. are reminiscent.

I got the second issue of Who Is Jake Ellis? Not bad but it might read better as a trade.

I bought the first volume of the Superman Chronicles trades reprinting the earliest Superman stories in chronoligical order. I'd heard a lot about how 1930s Superman was more fun. So far I'm enjoying the kinda scratchy art and how he only has super strength, leaping and running and not 100 other powers. Lois Lane is the star of course.

I've started on volume one of the Marvel Masterworks reprints of The Fantastic Four, reading these stories in order for the first time ever. Jack Kirby rules.

And I just put in an order for the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus. I was going to hunt down the missing issues from my collection from when I was a kid but I was sold on the new colouring in this edition.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    By the way, you might already have seen this, but Sean Phillips also recently illustrated a short noiry story for the LA Times magazine.

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2011/...on-sunset.html
    I'd heard of it but didn't realise you could actually read it online... Cheers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X