Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought N°1 son a copy of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 2009, so he's got the set. Reading it myself, I began to wonder how much of Moore's alternate timeline and layering technique (the references to oh so similar wars in the Near East, a popular song adding plot details, etc.), might actually have been influenced by Mike's techniques, particularly as used in the various Cornelius chronicles.

We're both looking forward to reading the first volume in the Buffy (Series 9) collected ed. I'll have to go trawling the comic bookshops f Utrecht, this week, for that one. Son's still trying to work out what's supposed to be going on in Season 8.

I'm still getting the fortnightly strip magazine, Eppo. Predominantly Dutch and European strips, like Haas, Franka, January Jones, Largo Winch, XIII, and the occasional blast from the past, with new strips of Storm, Blueberry (The Early Years), or Virl. Beetle Bailey appears in a Dutch incarnation as, Flippie Flink and Liberty Meadows is also a regular.

Franka and January Jones are two of my favourite strips. Most of these strips are later collected together in book format. The fortnightly strips can sometimes seem a little static, less action more dialogue exposition, I suspect the slow burn effect is the result of the need to split up a single volume into fortnightly episodes.

I've been reading, The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century again and it strikes me that, given the right artist, it would make a marvellous European style strip. Maybe a bit too raunchy for the Eppo, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
      I liked the ending of the new BSG! lol
      Me too, although you can call me religious, I was sometime in the series thinking everything was to be scientifically explained. However, I figured it out that one of the layers of the show was based on religious aspects, so I just liked it better after these years...

ps: Sorry getting off topic of course... Check the TV show forum please, I started a new thread there...
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
        I never thought it would happen but Chaykin's only gone and delivered on Black Kiss 2!
        But just before we start imagining that we're living in the 21st Century in Britain...

Diamond Comics Bans Black Kiss 2 In Britain Permanently For Fear Of Customs

The following letter has been sent by Diamond UK to British comic retailers and reported exclusively [at Bleeding Cool];
        Retailers will be aware that the first issue of Howard Chaykin’s Black Kiss II was rather explicit compared to other comics distributed by Diamond UK. We at Diamond have now had the opportunity to review the second issue and the explicitness has not diminished at all! In fact there are scenes depicted which may fall foul of UK Customs’ regulations on the importing of indecent and obscene material. Consequently Diamond has taken the decision not to distribute any further issues of Black Kiss II in the UK.
        Had Diamond UK continued to import this title and encountered problems with Customs, it could have had a knock-on effect on the timely distribution of all titles in the UK. A situation wanted by no one.
        All orders for Black Kiss II #2 along with Black Kiss II #1, have been cancelled by Diamond UK. Black Kiss II #1 will be made returnable at a later date. Please look out for details in Discussions.
        Retailers wishing to read more on Customs’ regulations should check the HMRC website:
        Black Kiss 2 is published by Image Comics, who have an exclusive distribution deal with Diamond, so they are unable to sell it to another distributor, who might be willing to take a chance. Image trade paperbacks are also distributed in the UK through Diamond, so it is unlikely the trade paperback will make it through that way.

As a result, the grey market will most likely take up the challenge, with certain US stores sub-distrubuting to UK stores, against Diamond’s guidelines but not against the law. So copies will be available, but later, and at greater expense.

Or you could download it. Neither Diamond nor Customs would be able to stop that…
        Oh,
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
          I never thought it would happen but Chaykin's only gone and delivered on Black Kiss 2!
          But just before we start imagining that we're living in the 21st Century in Britain...

Diamond Comics Bans Black Kiss 2 In Britain Permanently For Fear Of Customs

The following letter has been sent by Diamond UK to British comic retailers and reported exclusively [at Bleeding Cool];
          Retailers will be aware that the first issue of Howard Chaykin’s Black Kiss II was rather explicit compared to other comics distributed by Diamond UK. We at Diamond have now had the opportunity to review the second issue and the explicitness has not diminished at all! In fact there are scenes depicted which may fall foul of UK Customs’ regulations on the importing of indecent and obscene material. Consequently Diamond has taken the decision not to distribute any further issues of Black Kiss II in the UK.
          Had Diamond UK continued to import this title and encountered problems with Customs, it could have had a knock-on effect on the timely distribution of all titles in the UK. A situation wanted by no one.
          All orders for Black Kiss II #2 along with Black Kiss II #1, have been cancelled by Diamond UK. Black Kiss II #1 will be made returnable at a later date. Please look out for details in Discussions.
          Retailers wishing to read more on Customs’ regulations should check the HMRC website:
          Black Kiss 2 is published by Image Comics, who have an exclusive distribution deal with Diamond, so they are unable to sell it to another distributor, who might be willing to take a chance. Image trade paperbacks are also distributed in the UK through Diamond, so it is unlikely the trade paperback will make it through that way.

As a result, the grey market will most likely take up the challenge, with certain US stores sub-distrubuting to UK stores, against Diamond’s guidelines but not against the law. So copies will be available, but later, and at greater expense.

Or you could download it. Neither Diamond nor Customs would be able to stop that…
          Oh,
          So it is somehow more explicit than Crossed: Family Values, Caligula and Neonomicon? Or is it just Diamond being selective. Either way, fucking assholes taking it upon themselves to decide what is and isn't suitable for the British public.

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
            So it is somehow more explicit than Crossed: Family Values, Caligula and Neonomicon? Or is it just Diamond being selective. Either way, fucking assholes taking it upon themselves to decide what is and isn't suitable for the British public.
            You ain't kidding. This is what a monopolistic distribution system will get 'ya. Dame Darcy's new comic Handbook for Hot Witches went undistributed by Diamond in the US for reasons that I cannot fathom--other than perhaps the wrong palm wasn't greased or the wrong ass went unkissed--while legions of books glorifying slaughter--particularly the slaughter of women--fall from the trees over here. I hope Chaykin makes a zillion bucks off of the controversy.

Meanwhile, if anybody's interested, here are a few really good genre-blending series: the Image comic Saga, which is a beautifully-rendered, purely romantic adventure, and the staunchly independent Rachel Rising by Terry Moore, which mixes fantasy, horror and comedy. I've been collecting both since they came out, and they're both well-designed artworks worth reading.

Comment

• I bought Hakweye no. 1 digital to read on my phone and a hard copy to see the different. Digital is was OK, but I think I need a tablet as the first splash page looked so small on the screen.

The new run of Defenders is good as well.

My copy of Essential Warlock has turned up containting those early 8 issues of Warlock, then the Starlin Magus run and ending with the big Thanos battle in the Avengers annual.
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
                Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                You ain't kidding. This is what a monopolistic distribution system will get 'ya. Dame Darcy's new comic Handbook for Hot Witches went undistributed by Diamond in the US for reasons that I cannot fathom--other than perhaps the wrong palm wasn't greased or the wrong ass went unkissed--while legions of books glorifying slaughter--particularly the slaughter of women--fall from the trees over here. I hope Chaykin makes a zillion bucks off of the controversy.
                Black Kiss 2 has been 'banned' in Canada now. (We should note that 'banned' in this context simply means that the distributor (Diamond) are refusing to carry the comic, not that there's been any sort of official sanction from the jurisdictions affected.)

Despite the 'ban' my copy of BK2 #2 arrived in the post this weekend.

Storywise, there's a little deviation (no pun intended) from history as established in BK1* and Chaykin seems to be amending the supernatural elements of the original by identifying BK1's 'vampires' more accurately as succubi, which could be seen as simply a matter of clarification (since 'vampire' was a word conspicuous by its absence in the original). But as it says in the issue itself, "who truly gives a shit what they're called?".

In chapter three (set in 1919) we're introduced to Eunice MacAvoy, who will go on to be known first as 'Ilona Fontaine' and later as 'Beverley Grove' (and possibly other nom de plumes in the intervening years?), and witness her transformation from ambitious starlet to demonic succubus.

More intriguingly, in chapter 4 (set in 1931) a 'Miss Dagmar Laine' appears on the scene, which either means there's been more than one transsexual 'biggest fan' known as 'Dagmar Laine' in Eunice/Ilona/Beverley's life or BK1's Dagmar Laine is much, much older that s/he looks. (The implication in BK1 was that Dagmar was a retro-fan of Beverley's rather than a contemporary of hers but if the latter's the case then there's a helluva good plastic surgeon in LA 'cos s/he's gotta be pushing 75+!)

So far, BK2 is shaping up to be a worthy 'successor' to the original Black Kiss; revisiting that earlier work it's interesting to see how well integrated the latter is with the former; with minor characters in BK1 being shown as being more significant in BK2.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Picked up hawkeye no. 2 and showcase presents The Atom volume 2, a complete volume of Gil Kane's artwork for £12.99, but they rung it through as £9.99, so perhaps there was an offer on I did see......

Comment

Black Kiss 2 has been 'banned' in Canada now. (We should note that 'banned' in this context simply means that the distributor (Diamond) are refusing to carry the comic, not that there's been any sort of official sanction from the jurisdictions affected.)
                    Couldn't UK and Canadian readers just download the series through a licensed digital distributor like Comixology in the USA (or from some other place where Diamond knees haven't knocked)?

Edit: Also, there's Image's own site for its digital downloads, including BK2: https://comics.imagecomics.com/
                    Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM. Reason: Shouldn't've kept typing during the Broncos game last night.

Comment

• Recent reads:
                      • the 2000AD Stainless Steel Rat reprint
                      • the first volume of the Strontium Dog trade/reprint
                      • B Graham's Prophet reprint/trade
                      • the first two Cinebooks Valerian reprints
                      • A Moore & I Gibson's The Ballad of Halo Jones reprint
                      • C Mieville's Dial H
                      • the recoloured Walt Simonson Thor omnibus and
                      • more Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four reprints
                      Last edited by Chris T; 09-24-2012, 04:32 AM. Reason: I forgot a couple

Comment

• I have just sold my issues of V For Vendetta and Watchmen. I am not crazy, I have just sold the 5 and 12 editions respectively of those series and bought the single issues paperbacks. Easier to keep in the shelf and read.
                        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• I recently picked up Red Range, story by Joe Lansdale and art by Sam Glanzman. Lots of violence and twisted humor. I need to check out Lansdale's Jonah Hex stuff some time.

I also got a hold of Jack Jackson's Lost Cause. It's a history of the Sutton-Taylor feud & the life of John Wesley Hardin. If there's any Jaxon fans out there, he needs his own thread. It stirred a bit of controversy when it was published. I have been collecting his Texas history graphic novels fro years now. He got me interested in Texas History Movies, a cartoon history of Texas done back in the 1920s.
                          Dave Hardy
                          http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

• I have just finished The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen century vol 2 1969. I am completely amazed by this story, a lot more than I was by Century part I: 1910. It was quite hard to go through that complex mobster talking.

I am also working my way on the black dossier, reading it slowly. I actually read everything in comics format and I am reading read all the text-based stuff in small doses. The Black Dossier is not that easy to go through, although it is quite good and mandatory for grasping the new Century series.

Edit: I have just finished Century 2009 and it was superb.

I actually think Moore was less bitter this time.
                            Last edited by zlogdan; 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• This week, I finally completed collecting the set of Jim Aparo and Michael Fleisher's "Wrath of The Spectre" series in DC's Adventure Comics. I've always liked how that run resurrected images and story types from Weird Tales and other Great Depression-era pulps.

Comment

• Jim Aparo is an under rated artist and his work on the Phantom Stranger is also very good as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X