Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nalga
    replied
    Elric The Balance lost# 3!

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Just finished Day Tripper by Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba.

It is a masterpiece!

This is what comics is all about.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I haven't got the new League of Gentlemen yet as I'm still up to 'The Black Dossier'.

Of the New 52 from DC Animal Man and OMAC stand out way above the rest so far.

I'm slowly working my way through the Grant Morrison X-Men trades.

Also I have also started reading, for the first time ever, the Love & Rockets trades from Fantagraphics with 'Maggie The Mechanic'. This is an excellent comic! My new favourite. Why haven't I read this before?? How come nobody said it had a science fictional setting??

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    I'm reading the new Lady Death series by Boundless Comics. At first, I did not like the writing or the artwork, but the story hooked me and I must admit that the inking is gorgeous. The current artist, Marcelo Mueller, clearly studied the old Stephen Hughes series, as his LD looks a lot like those older series, though there is some reflection of the look of Medieval Lady Death as well.

I haven't bought Elric: The Balance Lost, but I previewed the art and it looks good, so I'll get those soon.

There are too many X-Men titles for me to keep up with. I'm still stunned at how amazingly good January Jones looked as Emma Frost, and I LOVE that they wrote her as the older "Hellfire Club" Emma, not the new goody-two shoes version. Let's face it, nobody but January has Emma's remarkable hourglass figure!

Leave a comment:

• Guzzlecrank
    replied
    In terms of writing quality, the comic that I've read that has surprised me the most so far this year has been Boom's Planet of the Apes series by Darryl Gregory. It's a well-crafted, thoughtful study of both sides of a "war on terror" that found a home in a highly unlikely place. I'm more than a little surprised, too, that 20th Century Fox has put its logo on the inside covers. The plotting, pacing, and characters are all clearly drawn, and the art by Carlos Magno is equal to the script.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    One new comic I've been enjoying is The Red Wing (Image), a four-parter written by Jonathan Hickman and drawn by Nick Pitarra

It's an intelligently handled story of trans-temporal fighter pilots: while we follow a couple of rookies earning their wings in the 'present', we also go back and see the mystery surrounding the fate of one of their fathers - a pilot who disappeared.

I've never read any of Hickman's stuff before, but he seems to be making a name for himself at Marvel. It's nicely paced and constructed, and the artwork's got a similar feel to Frank Quietly. Worth a look, I reckon.

Here's a little teaser from No.1: http://tiny.cc/ykw73
    Last edited by Tom Murphy; 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Superheroes don't really do much for me, but I will be picking up at least the first couple of issues of the following from the DC "New 52", based on their writers:
    • Stormwatch and Demon Knights (Paul Cornell)
    • Justice League Dark (Pete Milligan)
    • Animal Man and Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE (Jeff Lemire)
    • Action Comics (Grant Morrison)
    • Swamp Thing (Scott Snyder)

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Marvel:
    Thunderbolts (consistently good)
    X-Men Legacy (consistently good)
    FF (giving this a shot. it's a bit heavy, but not bad.)
    Cloak & Dagger limited. (brilliant!!!)

DC: Well, with the new 52 titles, this is what I am down for:
    Green Lantern: new Guardians (because I like Glomulus and St. Walker, and i want to find out what's up with Larfleeze)
    Suicide Squad (I like King Shark, and the rest of the team aint bad)
    Justice League Dark (Constantine and Shade on the same team? Win!)
    Justice League International (great line-up, other than Batman, who suffers from Wolverine syndrome and is in too many places at once)

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Zatanna issue 15, which I picked up on Sunday at FP.

Lovely covers and thankfully the interior art is good as well. Just a good solid read without a lot of continuity.

Leave a comment:

• Wolfshead
    replied
    Just ordered the Witchblade Compendiums, Vols 1 & 2. Enjoyed the show and the anime so figured I'd give the base material a try. Also reading various maga laying around here among them Bleach, FMA, Claymore and Cowboy Bebop Finally got around to finishing my Essential Dr Strange a few weeks ago. Still sorry I didn't look for a color version of that, the psychedelic artwork being half the joy of reading that series
    Last edited by Wolfshead; 08-27-2011, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    I have ordered Elric, The Balance Lost, issues one and two. I should have them very soon. I plan to really enjoy them.

Leave a comment:

• Nalga
    replied
    I'm reading 1969 by Alan Moore, and Elric, the Balance Lost #2, by BOOM! comics.
    Last edited by Nalga; 09-14-2011, 04:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    I'm going to re-read it along with 1910 as the read felt disjointed at first. It was ticking all the boxes, colouring was superb, O'neil artwork great, spotting characters and thinking was Berwick street really like that, but could just can't put my finger on why.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I don't know, what didn't work for you exactly? Myself, I liked it better than the 1910 episode, which didn't really seem to go anywhere (being mostly about the setting up the pieces on the board for the next two episodes) and the ending was very dark and downbeat (though the transition from 1969 to 1977 was actually very effective imo) so I can see how one might feel 'down' after finishing it.

There have been a few online reviews that have somehow failed to fall fawning at Big Al's feet so, no, not everyone has been unanimous in their reception of Century: 1969. Some have even called it 'The Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy', though they don't seem to mean that as a compliment.

'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century, 1969': The Story Isn't There
    Last edited by David Mosley; 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Am I the only one to be disappointed by LOEG - 1969

Leave a comment:

Working...
X