Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octo Seven
    replied
    I just started re-reading Promethea again. I loved it first time but second time it's even more enjoyable, now that I have read everything from ABC, the backstories of the other Prometheas are really familiar to me, little Margie and Grace Brannagh etc. I will probably re-read all of the ABC comics again this year.

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Uncanny X-Men
    Wolverine And The X-Men
    Justice Leauge
    Action Comics
    FF
    Fantastic Four
    Planetery
    Lucifer
    Universe X
    Avengers Sanction
    The Mighty Thor
    New Mutants
    Journey Into Mystery
    Secret Wars 2
    Incredible Hercules
    New Avengers
    JLA
    Warlock Original Series
    Mighty Aveners
    Legion Lost
    Last edited by flutegirlrockz; 02-27-2012, 01:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Seem to be going through a phase of getting hold of comics that I might have briefly seen in one off issues or seen the covers for in old fanzines.

Finished reading Essential Hulk one and bought volume two, just to see where it would go.

Having watched the film Captain America picked up Kirby's run on Essential Volumes 1 and 2 with the bonus of Strenako's Madame Hydra issuses.

Just spotted that this year, there will be Essential Warlock - Marvel Premier issues, all Warlock title with strange tales including the Gem stone- Starlin run
    and the Black Panther - Jungle Action series and Kirby's run - King Solomon's Frog, any one?

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Here's my current pull-list (inflated at the moment as I dip my toes into the New 52)
    • The Unwritten
    • DMZ
    • Hellblazer
    • Sweet Tooth
    • Infinite Vacation
    • Powers (on the rare occasions it's published)
    • Casanova

• Swamp Thing
    • Animal Man
    • Justice League Dark
    • Stormwatch
    • Demon Knights
    • Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE
    • Action Comics

(I did a bit of a catch-up on Sweet Tooth last week: it really is the strongest book I'm reading at the moment. Jeff Lemire packs a real emotional wallop and uses the form magnificently. I hope his DCU writing duties don't detract from his 'real' work.)

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Bought Showcase presents The Phantom Stranger volumes one and two.

It has been a long time since I bought PS and these are some fascinating stories from the long lost days of comics. Also some interesting artwork from top name artists.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Off the back of DC's The New 52, my current pull list looks like:
    • The Unwritten
    • Hellblazer
    • glamourpuss (when my LCS remembers to order it )
    • Batwoman
    • Red Lanterns
    • Justice League Dark
    • Animal Man
    • Red Hood and the Outlaws
    • Avengers: 1959
    • Elric: The Balance Lost
    • Jennifer Blood
    • 2000AD
    • Judge Dredd Megazine
    Last edited by David Mosley; 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Kamandi was definitely under rated at the time. Those superb flash pages 2-3 in most of Kirby's issues. One to look out for.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Originally posted by Dhama View Post
    i thought love and rockets was one of those serious black and white comics about cool peoples relationships that indie comics seem to churn out so often, would give it a try though.
    L&R has been many wonderful things down the years, but if you're going to it looking for SF you might come away a bit disappointed - there were a few pulpy trappings round some of the stories for the first few years, but they faded away to focus on the more mainstream aspects of the stories.
    Yeah I could see that happening in the first volume. But the SFish trappings are well done and a great hook. The art and writing are so charming; it just great comics.

It might be interesting to compare it (or at least the one volume I've read so far) with Scott McCloud's Zot! which has SF/super-hero trappings but becomes more interested in the relationship of the leads--towards the end, also, it kinda feels as though he's painted himself/the story in a corner.

Anyway I finished the first volume and Hearbreak Soup is up next.

Speaking of the New Mutants, I also read my old copies of the first 40 or so issues of the original run, basically up to where Kyle Baker stops inking. The art on that series was the best thing about it. Bill Sienkiewicz's departure leaves a big hole which is never really filled afterwards IMHO although there's one issue drawn Jon J Muth which was beautiful. Comics are full of these brilliant moments and short bursts where things just work as if by accident or in spite of the corporate shenanigans (i.e. Bill Sienkiewicz's run on NM generally and the Simonson's Thor).

Anyway the best thing I bought since the last time I logged in has to be the new Kamandi Omnibus. Solid gold.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    In a couple of spare hours over the past couple of days I've been lounging in the oul' (repro) Eames chair and enjoying the first few issues of the Walt Simonson Thor omnibus.

I'd forgotten how much fun the sometimes-slightly-cheesy narration is, as well as how dynamic the artwork is - helped along by John Workman's lettering.

(That run was one of the first comics that really grabbed my attention: I remember getting excited by both that and Bill Sienkiewicz's work on New Mutants, which were clearly a cut above the more functional stuff that filled the spin-racks at the Chorley bus station paper kiosk.)

Leave a comment:

• Dhama
    replied
    Yeah i saw them in the Works too. speaking of which, the Works is selling Marvel Comics pocket books that reprint classic stories in tiny size cheap. Also a big works of Tezuka (astro boy) book.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris T View Post
    Also I have also started reading, for the first time ever, the Love & Rockets trades from Fantagraphics with 'Maggie The Mechanic'. This is an excellent comic! My new favourite. Why haven't I read this before?? How come nobody said it had a science fictional setting??
    Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    i thought love and rockets was one of those serious black and white comics about cool peoples relationships that indie comics seem to churn out so often, would give it a try though.
    L&R has been many wonderful things down the years, but if you're going to it looking for SF you might come away a bit disappointed - there were a few pulpy trappings round some of the stories for the first few years, but they faded away to focus on the more mainstream aspects of the stories.
    Probably just reiterating what Tom says above, but also remember that L&R is mostly the work of two separate creators: Jaime & Gilbert Hernandez (their brother Mario also contributes but isn't as well known). Jaime did/does the Maggie the Mechanic ('Hoppers 13') stories while Gilbert did/does the Palomar stories, which iirc were more rooted in 'reality' but it's a long time since I followed L&R (even from a distance) so I don't really know how the separate narratives have evolved.

A couple of years ago, I picked up Vols 1 & 3 of the 'phonebook' L&R collections ('Maggie the Mechanic' and 'Heartbreak Soup' respectively) for a few quid each in The Works. Typically, when I went back the next week for Vol. 2 ('The Girl from HOPPERS') they'd all gone.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Just finished Day Tripper by Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba.

It is a masterpiece!

This is what comics is all about.
    I read Daytripper in the monthly issues, but I probably need to read it again as a whole.

It is a cracking bit of work, though - one of those all-too-rare comics you could heartily recommend to a non-comic-reading friend.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied

After the best part of 30 years, it might be worth checking out this quick guide to the series:

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.p...=76&Itemid=135

Leave a comment:

• Dhama
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dhama
    replied
    Current wants to get into are Astro Boy and Ignition City.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X