Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Not sure if you're a fan of HG Wells, if you are, you're really in for a treat in volume two! Well either way, you're in for a treat. :D .

A word of warning, you probably should read the Black Dossier before moving on to the 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century' trilogy. I'd also advise trying to get the hardcover if you can, it's probably near the same price as the paperback and it's a really really REALLY beautiful book, it's nicer than the Absolute Edition too, DC messed that up big-time.
    Last edited by Octo Seven; 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I ordered the whole League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen paperbacks ( except the Black Dossier ). I already put my hands at volume 1 and 2, I am almost done with the spectacular volume one of series. Definitely one of the best things ever written. Moore rocks.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    Has anybody been reading Bat Woman? I am tempted to by the first trade, simply because JH Williams is the artist, if the script was good too it would definitely be an incentive for me to buy it.
    I'd say Batwoman is definitely worth trying; it's a different sort of Bat-comic to the usual Bat-titles having a more supernatural tone (some readers have suggestion that Kate Kane wouldn't be out of place in Justice League Dark) than the sort of things Batman deals with. JHW3's art is a significant factor for many people and possibly over-shadows the character (i.e. if JHW3 quit a lot of people might/would drop the book); Amy Reeder was slated to draw alternate storylines with JHW3 but she was dropped/quit after two (three?) issues; I haven't seen her replacement (Trevor McCarthy)'s stuff yet.
    Thanks for the info. Upgrading my Promethea to Absolute editions, going to buy Book 2 today and will probably pick up the first Batwoman trade while I'm there!

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    Has anybody been reading Bat Woman? I am tempted to by the first trade, simply because JH Williams is the artist, if the script was good too it would definitely be an incentive for me to buy it.
    I'd say Batwoman is definitely worth trying; it's a different sort of Bat-comic to the usual Bat-titles having a more supernatural tone (some readers have suggestion that Kate Kane wouldn't be out of place in Justice League Dark) than the sort of things Batman deals with. JHW3's art is a significant factor for many people and possibly over-shadows the character (i.e. if JHW3 quit a lot of people might/would drop the book); Amy Reeder was slated to draw alternate storylines with JHW3 but she was dropped/quit after two (three?) issues; I haven't seen her replacement (Trevor McCarthy)'s stuff yet.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    Still catching up on new Lady Death series. Fell behind at Issue 10.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Justice League International is ending. Good riddance.
    Still thinking of dropping Green Lantern New Guardians.
    Interested in seeing if JLDark goes anywhere. It's okay, but I'm still waiting for it to find it's legs.
    Aquaman is of course well written, but again, it feels like it's floundering. (Yeah, I know. bad pun.)

Just put myself down for the new Marvel comics of Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, and Gambit. Here's hoping.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    The Stuff of Legend. It's about some toys doing battle with the boogeyman and his minions.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I'm enjoying Garth Ennis' new Nick Fury comic - Fury: My War Gone By - with Govan Parlov on art chores:

I hadn't actually realised that this isn't Ennis' first time writing Fury Max - apparently there's been two previous mini-series - but I prefer Parlov's slightly rawer art to Derrick Robertson's super-clean, hyper-realistic style, which he also uses on Ennis' The Boys (which I don't read). Have to say Nick's current squeeze, Shirley Defabio, is one super-smokin' hot woman.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    While we're at it, here's my current pull-list:
    • Animal Man
    • Swamp Thing
    • 2000AD
    • Powers
    • Manhattan Projects
    • The Unwritten
    • Sweet Tooth
    • Spaceman
    • Hellblazer
    • The Secret Service (Millar/Gibbons)
    • Secret (Hickman/Bodenheim)
    • Fatale
    • Saucer County
    • New Deadwardians
    • Justice League Dark
    • Mind MGMT

(Yikes - I didn't think I was buying *that* much...)

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    I don't think I've seen it mentioned on here, but one series that might appeal to Miscellanists is Manhattan Projects (Image) by Jonathan Hickman & Nick Pitarra.

It's got Big Ideas, clear and gripping storytelling and a very nice sense of design.

Here's the Image pitch...
    What if the research and development department created to produce the first atomic bomb was a front for a series of other, more unusual, programs? What if the union of a generation's brightest minds was not a signal for optimism, but foreboding? What if everything... went wrong?
    ...and there's a closer look and an interview with Hickman in Wired

It's currently at issue 3 but has been selling out, so you might be as well to wait for the first collection

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Marvel:
    Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers - TBolts is turning into the Dark Avengers but keeping the numbering. I'm not thrilled by this, but as Paler is a great writer, I'm certainly going to stick with it. It's a great series, and I suspect that if anybody wanted to jump on, Dark Avengers 175 would be a good place.
    New Mutants - a really great "team" comic in a day when there just aren't a whole lot of those, when it seems chic to have every team falling apart at the seams. Abnett and Lanning are writing it, and it's really well done.
    X-Men Legacy - After Carey's staggeringly long and magnificent run, Gage has big shoes to fill, but he's off to a good start. Now we just gotta get past this AvX stuff.
    X-Factor - I'll be honest, I like the characters, but not the writing. And for heaven's sake, a team of 15 is too big. Time to cut some people.
    Captain America & Hawkeye - I'm curious. 2 good characters if someone would just write them well. Let's see what happens. This lineup just started.

DC
    Justice League Dark - By Peter Milligan (Hellblazer). I'm groovin' on it, but I like Milligan's bizarre style.
    Aquaman - Geoff Johns knows how to write a great story. It's worth the read just because Johns is writing it.
    Green Lantern: New Guardians - I'm sticking with it, but have yet to be impressed.
    Justice League International - Not impressed. They killed off Rocket Red and replaced him with Omac. This one is on my chopping block most likely.

IDW
    Doctor Who - It's hard to write a good spin-off of a current show, since you cannot do much that changes things. But on the whole, the DW comic has been pretty good. It captures the feel of the show. He had a Tyrannosaurus named Kevin for a companion for a bit, and I thought that was well written.

Leave a comment:

• Guzzlecrank
    replied
    Anyone who likes sword & sorcery comics might want to check out Dark Horse's new Conan the Barbarian series, which is "Queen of the Black Coast." I think it's going to run for a year. The second issue comes out this Wednesday, and the first was quite good. The interior artist is Becky Cloonan, and I wonder if she might be the first female artist to work on a Conan title since the Margaret Brundage era with Weird Tales...anyway, here 'tis:

Leave a comment:

• Kamelion
    replied
    I'm getting the Balance Lost trades, but for some reason, Amazon UK isn't releasing the first one until next month! Also getting the new Hellraiser trades from Boom. Was also collecting the Gunslinger and The Stand but sort of let those slide. Still, mostly all still available on eBay...

(Would love to get all the old Elric graphic novels, but they're a bugger to find and don't look like they're being reprinted any time soon. Have MMM, MoaS and Stormbringer but none of the earlier ones.)

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    I'm a fickle collector these days, with a tepid interest in the combination of modern prices with mostly mediocre artwork*. In general, however, I find the writing to be above-average*. I have over 1,000 comic books in my closet (all "readers copies"), and the vast majority of them were created before 1985. I guess that makes me an "old school" collector?

At the moment, there are only three titles that I'm following:

Elric: The Balance Lost (naturally)
    Crimson Empire III (Paul Gulacy)
    and
    The Outlaw Prince (Outlaw of Torn) graphic novel.

I should note that TOP last came out in April, 2011. They appear to be taking their sweet time finishing the series.

There are other series that I pick up off and on, but whenever I find one that grabs my attention, they always seem to change the artist/writer and it all goes to hell.

*it should go without saying, but these are merely my opinions. Also, I should point out that I'm not sure if the * goes before the qualified statement, or after.
    Last edited by Brian; 04-25-2013, 01:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X