Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris T
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    J.M DeMatteis, Brooklyn Dreams and Mercy, quite awesome writer, and simply one of the coolest guys in the comics means.
    I found a copy of the first Hero Squared trade cheap and that was excellent. Unfortunately vol 2 is out of print..?

Leave a comment:

• Kymba334
    replied

Re-reading Watchmen for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I've almost stopped buying floppies since my return to buying comics with the DC Wednesday Comics series... Probably down two one or two titles from "the big two". I think it's mainly the new Aquaman and Defenders series.. I think those Marvel Masterworks reprints are my favourite Marvel comics right now..

I've gotten into Kentaro Miura's Berserk manga series in a big way.. The first few volumes were actually horrific and the monsters/demons are quite well designed—a good sense for the surreal. I'm almost up to date and it's a bit D&D now, which is not a bad thing, esp. when the sandbox is so well designed. I defintely recommend it if this is your bag. There's definitely a heavy Moorcock vibe going on. Has anyone else checked this out?

On the opposite end of the spectrum I've also gotten into Yotsuba&! which is very sweet and actually laugh-out-loud funny.

Other stuff I've been digging since I last dropped in (off the top of my head) are Prison Pit, Dungeon Quest, those Jacques Tardi reprints, that recent King City trade and Garth Ennis's Hitman trades.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    The titles I'm enjoying most at the moment are:
    • Mind MGMT (Dark Horse)
    • Fatale (Image)
    • Manhattan Projects (Image)
    • Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE (DC)
    • Saucer County (Vertigo)

I'm also looking forward to the closing chapters of Sweet Tooth (Jeff Lemire, Vertigo)

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    J.M DeMatteis, Brooklyn Dreams and Mercy, quite awesome writer, and simply one of the coolest guys in the comics means.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
    Copyright issues mean the Black Dossier is not available in Canada.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen it waiting for me to rustle up the money to buy one, though.
    Yeah I bought it in Ireland years ago even though it wasn't legally supposed to be available here until recently, you could also order it from amazon.com from pretty much anywhere in the world, it seems the ban was never really enforced.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Copyright issues mean the Black Dossier is not available in Canada.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen it waiting for me to rustle up the money to buy one, though.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Excellent review! I am going to read the extra text on volumes 1 and 2. I really liked the texts based parts of Watchmen. Moore is a hell of a writer just O'Neill is a superb artist. I think that I will have to read about the background of Black Dossier on the internet though!

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Here's my amazon review if you're interested.

A Book Lover's Dream

The hardcover edition of this book is simply beautiful. First the presentation: black cover with embossed MI5 insignia with a wrap-around dust-jacket, fabric bookmark attached to the book. Some sections of the book are printed on different types of paper in order to give individual stories their own unique charm and sense of place. The final chapter is in 3D and the book contains a free pair of 3D glasses provided in the jacket.

Now the content; This one is not for everybody. Even those who read and enjoyed volumes one and two may be a bit put off by the shift in style of the narrative. If, like me, you really enjoyed the short story at the end of League Volume 1 and the Traveller's Almanac at the end of Volume 2; you will love this. It's dense, very text-heavy and extremely varied from chapter to chapter. It opens with a comic, then turns to text, then back to a comic, then more text etc. The artwork is stunningly detailed and varied, possibly Kevin O'Neil's best work to date and that's a big deal. The overall tone has changed quite drastically, even more noticebly than volume 2 did from volume 1. There is a lot of nudity this-time round, also the setting has changed to 1958 so the language and aesthetic have all shifted too. Also, if you didn't bother to read the New Traveller's Almanac at the end of Volume 2 you will probably be highly confused about Allan Quatermaine's appearance and the fact Miss Murray is as youthful and attractive as ever even though the story takes place 70 years after the events of Volume 1.

All in all I would recommend this book to open-minded fans of Alan Moore and fiction in general. Don't buy this expecting a graphic novel or a Victorian adventure-yarn for boys, this one is more cerebral and requires an enthusiastic reader who can handle a bit of meat with their veggies.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Yeah, I was researching the releases of Black Dossier. It seems vol1, vol2, and century 1910 and 1969 were translated. I actually bought the American versions because it was cheaper. But if I were to buy them in Portuguese, I'd miss the Black Dossier...

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Totally agree with Dave.

You need to have read the Black Dossier first before the 1910, etc. Just read the BD and it made the other more accessible. I have 2009 waiting to read, Evanier's Kirby book and the Chaykin one recommended for birthday reading.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I looks like I will have to postpone my possible reading of the century volumes until I read the Black Dossier....

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    In recent weeks/months, Ty Templeton has been ragging on Moore over his attitude to Before Watchmen and Moore's (as Templeton saw it) hypocrisy on using public domain characters in ways their creators never envisaged. Well, that's all changed now...

Presenting Ty Templeton's Bun Toons:

Here Templeton explains why Black Dossier is so good:
    The Black Dossier is the unified field theory of fiction. Unlike the first two volumes of LOEG, the Black Dossier is more interested in the world of LOEG than the characters themselves, and the multiple fictional lineages that intertwine in Black Dossier includes, well…the entirety of fiction. It includes a lost Shakespearean play, a Tiajuana Bible from Orwell’s 1984, a Kerouac Beat Novel, plus so, so, so much more. It’s part comics (very entertaining comics) featuring members of our regular cast, and a mind-bogglingly complex set of pastiches interweaving themselves into a narrative that slowly dawns on you as you piece the puzzle together. And finally, it wraps up in a way you absolutely don’t see coming, but it actually “wraps” up in a very satisfying way…a way that seems to include Promethea and hints of the Watchmen as part of the narrative. Plus: The cameos…oh the cameos.

Unfortunately, none of the three parts of “Century” (including 1910) really make sense unless you’ve read Black Dossier (especially the lengthy story of Jenni Diver which takes up much of 1910) as Century is a direct sequel to the Dossier, far more than it’s a sequel to the first two volumes of LOEG. As much as I enjoyed the first two LOEG stories (and to some extent, the unrelated film), the Black Dossier and Century are a completely different animal, one more focused on the concepts of the human relationship to fiction and imagination.

It does require a fairly decent familiarity with multiple sources, including, but not limited to British Boy’s Comics, Television of the 50s, American Beat poetry, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, Ian Fleming, Mesopotamian mythology, Homer’s poetry, Noir Film and the history of animation, just to scratch the surface of a very thick and rich tapestry, but OH BOY is it worth it.
    I suspect the mixed reviews come from people who simply aren’t able to follow what’s going on. This is a Gordian Knot of a story…a story that actually involves the Gordian Knot and Alexander.

Much like the clockwork mechanism that is behind Watchmen was completely missed by everyone involved in both the film and “Before Watchmen” projects, there is SO much roiling below the surface of Black Dossier that has to be worked at to appreciate.

This is the work of a creative genius who is not stooping to pander.
    I hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    Octo: yeah, I dig Wells, though I have never read the books, I saw many films based on his books. I actually could not avoid reading summaries of the volume II.
    I know that Alan Moore hates fans that consider him a God, so he probably hates me :-) I should consider the Black Dossier in the future. Right now, all my funds are over :-( I know I can count on Wikipedia though! Kevin O'Neill rocks. What an artist. I had read many of works before, for example his Mezozoic age graphic novel, yet at this League he goes wilder! Did you read Anubis Gates by Tim Powers ? One of my all time favorite books, which action goes in the 1800s London, perhaps one the most fascinating fictional fantasy worlds ever conceived.
    By the way, century trilogy was bought from Amazon and it took less than week to get down here in crapland! I am almost done with the Swords of Corum book, which now is a personal favorite, next will come the league!
    Swords of Corum is awesome. Haven't read Anubis Gates! I will eventually. I don't think Alan Moore hates any of his fans :D , well except maybe the ones who bought Before Watchmen lol. You might find some parts of the Century Trilogy a bit confusing without some backstory, mainly regarding who some of the new characters are, but I'm sure google or myself can fill you in.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Octo: yeah, I dig Wells, though I have never read the books, I saw many films based on his books. I actually could not avoid reading summaries of the volume II.
    I know that Alan Moore hates fans that consider him a God, so he probably hates me :-) I should consider the Black Dossier in the future. Right now, all my funds are over :-( I know I can count on Wikipedia though! Kevin O'Neill rocks. What an artist. I had read many of works before, for example his Mezozoic age graphic novel, yet at this League he goes wilder! Did you read Anubis Gates by Tim Powers ? One of my all time favorite books, which action goes in the 1800s London, perhaps one the most fascinating fictional fantasy worlds ever conceived.
    By the way, century trilogy was bought from Amazon and it took less than week to get down here in crapland! I am almost done with the Swords of Corum book, which now is a personal favorite, next will come the league!
    Last edited by zlogdan; 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X