Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebble
    replied
    Picked up hawkeye no. 2 and showcase presents The Atom volume 2, a complete volume of Gil Kane's artwork for £12.99, but they rung it through as £9.99, so perhaps there was an offer on I did see......

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    So it is somehow more explicit than Crossed: Family Values, Caligula and Neonomicon? Or is it just Diamond being selective. Either way, fucking assholes taking it upon themselves to decide what is and isn't suitable for the British public.
    You ain't kidding. This is what a monopolistic distribution system will get 'ya. Dame Darcy's new comic Handbook for Hot Witches went undistributed by Diamond in the US for reasons that I cannot fathom--other than perhaps the wrong palm wasn't greased or the wrong ass went unkissed--while legions of books glorifying slaughter--particularly the slaughter of women--fall from the trees over here. I hope Chaykin makes a zillion bucks off of the controversy.
    Black Kiss 2 has been 'banned' in Canada now. (We should note that 'banned' in this context simply means that the distributor (Diamond) are refusing to carry the comic, not that there's been any sort of official sanction from the jurisdictions affected.)

Despite the 'ban' my copy of BK2 #2 arrived in the post this weekend.

Storywise, there's a little deviation (no pun intended) from history as established in BK1* and Chaykin seems to be amending the supernatural elements of the original by identifying BK1's 'vampires' more accurately as succubi, which could be seen as simply a matter of clarification (since 'vampire' was a word conspicuous by its absence in the original). But as it says in the issue itself, "who truly gives a shit what they're called?".

In chapter three (set in 1919) we're introduced to Eunice MacAvoy, who will go on to be known first as 'Ilona Fontaine' and later as 'Beverley Grove' (and possibly other nom de plumes in the intervening years?), and witness her transformation from ambitious starlet to demonic succubus.

More intriguingly, in chapter 4 (set in 1931) a 'Miss Dagmar Laine' appears on the scene, which either means there's been more than one transsexual 'biggest fan' known as 'Dagmar Laine' in Eunice/Ilona/Beverley's life or BK1's Dagmar Laine is much, much older that s/he looks. (The implication in BK1 was that Dagmar was a retro-fan of Beverley's rather than a contemporary of hers but if the latter's the case then there's a helluva good plastic surgeon in LA 'cos s/he's gotta be pushing 75+!)

So far, BK2 is shaping up to be a worthy 'successor' to the original Black Kiss; revisiting that earlier work it's interesting to see how well integrated the latter is with the former; with minor characters in BK1 being shown as being more significant in BK2.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    I bought Hakweye no. 1 digital to read on my phone and a hard copy to see the different. Digital is was OK, but I think I need a tablet as the first splash page looked so small on the screen.

The new run of Defenders is good as well.

My copy of Essential Warlock has turned up containting those early 8 issues of Warlock, then the Starlin Magus run and ending with the big Thanos battle in the Avengers annual.

Leave a comment:

• Guzzlecrank
    replied
    So it is somehow more explicit than Crossed: Family Values, Caligula and Neonomicon? Or is it just Diamond being selective. Either way, fucking assholes taking it upon themselves to decide what is and isn't suitable for the British public.
    You ain't kidding. This is what a monopolistic distribution system will get 'ya. Dame Darcy's new comic Handbook for Hot Witches went undistributed by Diamond in the US for reasons that I cannot fathom--other than perhaps the wrong palm wasn't greased or the wrong ass went unkissed--while legions of books glorifying slaughter--particularly the slaughter of women--fall from the trees over here. I hope Chaykin makes a zillion bucks off of the controversy.

Meanwhile, if anybody's interested, here are a few really good genre-blending series: the Image comic Saga, which is a beautifully-rendered, purely romantic adventure, and the staunchly independent Rachel Rising by Terry Moore, which mixes fantasy, horror and comedy. I've been collecting both since they came out, and they're both well-designed artworks worth reading.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    I never thought it would happen but Chaykin's only gone and delivered on Black Kiss 2!
    But just before we start imagining that we're living in the 21st Century in Britain...

Diamond Comics Bans Black Kiss 2 In Britain Permanently For Fear Of Customs

The following letter has been sent by Diamond UK to British comic retailers and reported exclusively [at Bleeding Cool];
    Retailers will be aware that the first issue of Howard Chaykin’s Black Kiss II was rather explicit compared to other comics distributed by Diamond UK. We at Diamond have now had the opportunity to review the second issue and the explicitness has not diminished at all! In fact there are scenes depicted which may fall foul of UK Customs’ regulations on the importing of indecent and obscene material. Consequently Diamond has taken the decision not to distribute any further issues of Black Kiss II in the UK.
    Had Diamond UK continued to import this title and encountered problems with Customs, it could have had a knock-on effect on the timely distribution of all titles in the UK. A situation wanted by no one.
    All orders for Black Kiss II #2 along with Black Kiss II #1, have been cancelled by Diamond UK. Black Kiss II #1 will be made returnable at a later date. Please look out for details in Discussions.
    Retailers wishing to read more on Customs’ regulations should check the HMRC website:
    Black Kiss 2 is published by Image Comics, who have an exclusive distribution deal with Diamond, so they are unable to sell it to another distributor, who might be willing to take a chance. Image trade paperbacks are also distributed in the UK through Diamond, so it is unlikely the trade paperback will make it through that way.

As a result, the grey market will most likely take up the challenge, with certain US stores sub-distrubuting to UK stores, against Diamond’s guidelines but not against the law. So copies will be available, but later, and at greater expense.

Or you could download it. Neither Diamond nor Customs would be able to stop that…
    Oh,

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I never thought it would happen but Chaykin's only gone and delivered on Black Kiss 2!
    But just before we start imagining that we're living in the 21st Century in Britain...

Diamond Comics Bans Black Kiss 2 In Britain Permanently For Fear Of Customs

The following letter has been sent by Diamond UK to British comic retailers and reported exclusively [at Bleeding Cool];
    Retailers will be aware that the first issue of Howard Chaykin’s Black Kiss II was rather explicit compared to other comics distributed by Diamond UK. We at Diamond have now had the opportunity to review the second issue and the explicitness has not diminished at all! In fact there are scenes depicted which may fall foul of UK Customs’ regulations on the importing of indecent and obscene material. Consequently Diamond has taken the decision not to distribute any further issues of Black Kiss II in the UK.
    Had Diamond UK continued to import this title and encountered problems with Customs, it could have had a knock-on effect on the timely distribution of all titles in the UK. A situation wanted by no one.
    All orders for Black Kiss II #2 along with Black Kiss II #1, have been cancelled by Diamond UK. Black Kiss II #1 will be made returnable at a later date. Please look out for details in Discussions.
    Retailers wishing to read more on Customs’ regulations should check the HMRC website:
    Black Kiss 2 is published by Image Comics, who have an exclusive distribution deal with Diamond, so they are unable to sell it to another distributor, who might be willing to take a chance. Image trade paperbacks are also distributed in the UK through Diamond, so it is unlikely the trade paperback will make it through that way.

As a result, the grey market will most likely take up the challenge, with certain US stores sub-distrubuting to UK stores, against Diamond’s guidelines but not against the law. So copies will be available, but later, and at greater expense.

Or you could download it. Neither Diamond nor Customs would be able to stop that…
    Oh,

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I liked the ending of the new BSG! lol
    Me too, although you can call me religious, I was sometime in the series thinking everything was to be scientifically explained. However, I figured it out that one of the layers of the show was based on religious aspects, so I just liked it better after these years...

ps: Sorry getting off topic of course... Check the TV show forum please, I started a new thread there...

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I bought N°1 son a copy of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 2009, so he's got the set. Reading it myself, I began to wonder how much of Moore's alternate timeline and layering technique (the references to oh so similar wars in the Near East, a popular song adding plot details, etc.), might actually have been influenced by Mike's techniques, particularly as used in the various Cornelius chronicles.

We're both looking forward to reading the first volume in the Buffy (Series 9) collected ed. I'll have to go trawling the comic bookshops f Utrecht, this week, for that one. Son's still trying to work out what's supposed to be going on in Season 8.

I'm still getting the fortnightly strip magazine, Eppo. Predominantly Dutch and European strips, like Haas, Franka, January Jones, Largo Winch, XIII, and the occasional blast from the past, with new strips of Storm, Blueberry (The Early Years), or Virl. Beetle Bailey appears in a Dutch incarnation as, Flippie Flink and Liberty Meadows is also a regular.

Franka and January Jones are two of my favourite strips. Most of these strips are later collected together in book format. The fortnightly strips can sometimes seem a little static, less action more dialogue exposition, I suspect the slow burn effect is the result of the need to split up a single volume into fortnightly episodes.

I've been reading, The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century again and it strikes me that, given the right artist, it would make a marvellous European style strip. Maybe a bit too raunchy for the Eppo, though.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    I liked the ending of the new BSG! lol

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    Well, so far the Silk Spectre comic and the Roarshack one are pretty lame. Doctor Manhattan is due out next month, and I assume there will be a Comedian one too. Straczynski's writing is always superb. I really liked the new Doctor Strange origin series he did a few years back, just titled Strange.

I still miss Babylon 5. With the exception of Firefly, there's been nothing as good on SF tv since. The cop-out ending of the new Battlestar Galactica ruined the whole thing for me. Just ran out of steam, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by WhiteWolf359 View Post
    I'm reading all of the "Before the Watchmen" stuff. Best so far are Nite Owl
    Well this was written by J.M Straczynski, this could be the only title in this series I would read! Still, a before watchmen series sounds pointless to me if not written by Alan Moore...

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    I'm reading all of the "Before the Watchmen" stuff. Best so far are Nite Owl and Ozymandius. I'd like to see some of the MinuteMen characters given their own books too, so we get more of the "back story" for them.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris T View Post
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    J.M DeMatteis, Brooklyn Dreams and Mercy, quite awesome writer, and simply one of the coolest guys in the comics means.
    I found a copy of the first Hero Squared trade cheap and that was excellent. Unfortunately vol 2 is out of print..?
    I don't know. I have read Moonshadow, Justice League, Blood, the Martian Hunter Saga written by him. This last year I found out his blog and even talked to him through posting messages. I started to look for some of his comics.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
    Re-reading Watchmen for the first time.
    I cannot remember how many times I read it. When It was issued here starting in November 1988, in 6 issues ( unlike the #12 original ), I think I read every issue 3 times. Then a few years later I read it again twice or three times. Then in 1999 the 12 issues were released here and I read again every issue 2 times. I got OCD you know, but I was heavily obsessed with Watchmen because it is so frakkin good! The best part is: every new time you read you always find something new about it. I like to think about it like the counterpoint technique used in music ( or in terms of tempo polyrhythms ), many layers at once.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied

Chaykin revisits sex, death and movies with 'Black Kiss 2'

Howard Chaykin understands there is a certain irony in being a guy who creates comic-book erotica but also watches Bunheads and has a serious love for musical comedy.

An icon in the comics industry with an impressively diverse resume, Chaykin returns to the controversial world he created in the 1980s in the six-issue miniseries Black Kiss 2, with the first issue in comic shops today from Image Comics.

It's a book that's definitely not for kids or the overly prim.

"It's all about the three things that matter most: sex, death and the movies," says Chaykin, well known for his American Flagg! series. "It starts in a nickelodeon and ends in the Internet."

The original Black Kiss followed vampires in hard-boiled Hollywood and, due to the explicit sex and brutal violence, was sold in sealed plastic bags by Vortex Press. The new six-issue series revisits characters such as Beverly Grove and Charles "Bubba" Kenton while also looking at eroticism in each decade from the beginning of the 20th century to today.

Chaykin also admits that Black Kiss 2 is "considerably filthier" than the original. Then again, books such as Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin were all the rage in 1988 when Black Kiss first debuted, while today E.L. James' three erotica-filled Fifty Shades of Grey novels have steamed up pop culture.

The first Black Kiss series is very much of its time, Chaykin says, and was a reaction to comic-book publishers colluding to create a ratings system and reinvigorate the ages-old Comics Code Authority.

"Those of us who were loudmouth cranks like me and Frank Miller and Alan Moore all made noise about that," he recalls. "I set out to do an incredibly offensive comic book just because I felt I could."

However, he also wanted it to have some genuine laughs along with being dirty and violent. "It's offensive and horrible but very funny."

And it found fans.

Much to Chaykin's continued surprise, the original Black Kiss proved immediately popular when it was released to the "fairly conservative" comic-book crowd, and it remains the second highest-paying gig he has ever had per page in his long career.

"Most comic-book readers tend to prefer pinups to erotica, and I'm not a pinup guy," Chaykin, 61, says.

When he started in comics in the early 1970s, he and his peers "looked like stoners," with leftist leanings and long hair as products of the '60s. What followed his, though, was a much more conservative generation of comic creators who wanted to draw superheroes unlike Chaykin, who was more interested in horror, crime, sword-and-sorcery and pulp-y period tales.

While the media features "guys showing up in Mardi Gras outfits" when covering comic conventions, Chaykin says, comics is more of a "laddie" culture for the most part. "It has more to do with FHM than it does with Wizard magazine. It's very much a cigar-smoking, Rat Pack-y sensibility, which is not my world."

Publishers have been soliciting Chaykin to do a Black Kiss sequel for the past 20 years, while he has had his hand in every genre, from the superheroes in Challengers of the Unknown and Avengers 1959 to the futuristic noir City of Tomorrow and gangster vampires of Bite Club. (On tap: Writing and drawing Buck Rogers for Hermes Press, and teaming with writer Matt Fraction for Image's Satellite Sam, a pulp take on an erotic crime thriller set in the world of 1950s children television.)

"If all he did was American Flagg!, he would still be ranked amongst our industry's best," says Image publisher Eric Stephenson. "He's a master artist, a master storyteller, and he has just about as unique a voice as you're likely to find in comics. The original Black Kiss is one of the best examples of that."

Chaykin had the itch to do another Black Kiss, too, but just couldn't find a hook to hang a franchise on until he found inspiration in musical-theater songsmith Stephen Sondheim. ("I'm sure he's thrilled about being referenced in this context," Chaykin quips.)

He was reading Finishing the Hat, Sondheim's first collection of lyrics, and in writing about the anthemic tune I'm Still Here from the musical Follies, Sondheim's allusion that it was a fictional pastiche of Joan Crawford's movie career caused Chaykin to realize he should make Black Kiss 2 a picaresque through history.

So, he created 12 10-page stories that span just as many decades, throwing in events and places such as the 1912 sinking of the Titanic, the 1977 New York City Blackout and Mardi Gras in 1962 New Orleans, and moving characters — "Some of whom are immortal, some of whom aren't," Chaykin says — through that time.

He's a guy who's done a lot of sexually tinged material in his own history, but when it comes to adult entertainment, Chaykin likes it in the abstract.
    Playboy magazine was the first adult material he ever saw, but has no clue what it's about these days. He also has never been to a gentlemen's club, so he has to interview people about what that kind of experience is like, or set foot in an adult-oriented convention.

"Ugh. I can't imagine going, in the same way I never went to a comic-book convention before I became a professional because I had seen them on television," Chaykin says. "I was not up to the task and I was embarrassed to be seen with a lot of those people."

Chaykin has even tried to read some of his wife's "bodice-ripper" books, yet can only get through the first couple of chapters.

"I wish I got it. I just don't. It's beyond my grasp," he says. "Someone once said, of all the popular genres, romance fiction was the one that had yet to have a transcendent author the way, say, crime fiction has Elmore Leonard and Ed McBain and Lawrence Block."

Still, he adds, "the things sell like crazy."

When it comes to sex, Chaykin has found American culture to wax and wane in how proper it is over his lifetime, mostly on a case-by-case basis.

"I was born out of wedlock and I in turn have a daughter born out of wedlock. These were enormous, huge scandals," he says. "Today? Who gives a (expletive)? And I remain mindboggled occasionally how little of a (expletive) anybody gives about that stuff. It's astonishing to me."

Chaykin also lived with his wife for 10 years before they finally were married, without a moment's hesitation on the subject, he says. "In my parents' generation, that would have been utterly unacceptable but there was still an underground of sexual behavior going on that you had to basically dig around and unearth to find out its existence.

"Let us take a look at the hard fact that all those red states that espouse piety and deeply held religion are hotbeds of adultery and divorce," he adds. "Maybe it's not a lack of Puritanism but it's an evolving relationship with hypocrisy."

During a recent trip to visit family, he noticed Fifty Shades of Grey was on his daughter-in-law's night table, and she was embarrassed to admit she was reading the popular book.

"She actually put her hand on top of it and looked away, like I wouldn't notice," says Chaykin, adding that, even though she never has read comics in her life, his daughter-in-law's up to date on Black Kiss.

"She said, 'You must be really proud and really ashamed at the same time,' which I thought was one of the best reviews I've ever had."
    I also got The Art of Howard Chaykin for my birthday this morning as I'd hoped and with BK2 #1 waiting at home for me it's a doubleplusgood day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X