Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

We have one of these threads in other forums so I thought we might as well have one here as well. :)

Currently my 'Standing Order' list looks something like this:
    • 2000AD [on subscription]
    • Judge Dredd Megazine [on subscription]
    • All-Star Superman (Morrigan Snort/Frank Quitely)
    • Hawkgirl (Walt Simonson/Howard Chaykin)
    • Thrud the Barbarian* (Carl Critchlow)
    • Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer (MM/Walt Simonson)
    • A Man Called Kev (Garth Ennis/Carlos Ezquerra) [due July]
    • WildCATS: Worldstorm (Morrigan Snort/Jim Lee) [due Sept]
    • Wonder Woman (Allan Heinberg/Terry Dodson)
    • Hellboy* (Mike Mignola)
    • The Eternals (Neil Gaiman/John Romita Jr.)
    • League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier [due Sept]
    * Whenever a new issue/mini-series comes out. ;)

I've got Alan Moore's Lost Girls on order from Amazon US, 'cos I'm not yet convinced it's going to get a distribution deal in the UK (due to Gt. Ormand Street's copyright deal).

When I compare what I'm buying now with what I used to get 10+ years ago there's quite a difference. Back then I was getting all the Superman titles, the main Batman titles, Wonder Woman, Sandman, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Cerebus, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, The Spectre, The Flash, JLA, Spawn, WildCATS, Supreme, Danger Girl, and a slew of other titles. A decision to cut back on comics has meant that the number of ongoing titles I buy now are few and far between and on the whole my preference is for mini- or finite series.

What are other people reading at the moment? Is there anything you'd recommend to others?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

I'm trying to get back into comics at the moment and the two notable titles I've picked up are:
    • Conan
    • V for Vendetta
    • Shrugged
    I guess V is a graphic novel. Conan looked interesting, but I was disappointed. Shrugged looks great and seems like it has some potential. Just like the decisions decisions smilie , a baby is born and is assigned an angel and devil to influence his life. I read issue 0 and plan to get 1 & 2.

I'm investigating stuff I've never read before, because the Hulk and Spiderman stories just look weak to me. I'm up for reccommendations. I need some reading material for the train.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I've slowly being getting into comics ever since I got V for Vendetta, after seeing the movie version (mainly because it had Natalie Portman in it). I've also started collecting the Rurouni Kenshin manga series about a retired samurai assassin in late 19th century Japan. Yesterday, I found a RK wall calender, so I decided to get the first volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman as well, which I've wanted to read since I got Good Omens, a novel co-authored by Gaiman and another of my favourite authors, Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Heroes #s 1, 2, & 3.

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I have recently discovered the wonder that is Transmetropolitan. I am now in the process of gathering all volumnes to me, as well as everything else by Warren Ellis.

Comment

2000AD and Judge Dredd, The Megazine. Both on subscription. Every week since Feb 1977. (Not the big Meg of course!).
            Any other squaxx out there?

Goodness! It's all gone quiet out there! So far, I know that David Mosely and myself are the 'inner fanbase' !
            Last edited by Kipper; 12-11-2006, 12:48 PM.
            He's well smoked

Comment

Fantastic Four
              Uncanny X-Men
              Astonishing X-Men
              Superman
              Action Comics
              Countdown
              Kev comics, Authority and Ultimates whenever they come out
              Midnighter

Comment

Also in adition to those comics I'm reading in TPB Squadron Supreme, JLA Year One, Starman To Reach The Stars, Perter Parker Spider-Man Trials And Tibulations and Superman Unonventional Warfare and I'm reading the Fantasic Four/Silver DVD ROM The Avengers DVD ROM and The Ultimate X-Men CD-ROM.
                Last edited by flutegirlrockz; 02-01-2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawksun View Post
                  I decided to get the first volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman as well, which I've wanted to read since I got Good Omens, a novel co-authored by Gaiman and another of my favourite authors, Terry Pratchett.
                  Sandman is great, and gets even better the further in with it you go.

At the moment I'm obsessed with a manga called XXXholic, created by the very talented ladies at CLAMP. The art is just incredible, and the stories aren't half bad either, if you like a bit of japanese horror
                  "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

I was sorting through my collection and I found 'The Bozz Chronicles', it came out on Marvel's Epic imprint (creator controlled) and qualifies as early steampunk (time travelling locomotives in victorian London qualifies I think!). They're as good as I remember, and like all the stuff on Epic they can be had for a song.

Comment

X-Factor continues to be brilliantly written. Best X title out there by a mile, maybe best overall.
                      Looking farward to the new Excalibur, to be written by Paul Cornell (Wisdom limited series, Doctor Who).
                      Nicieza is supposed to be returning to Thunderbolts, which has always been one of the best titles Marvel has going. Warren Ellis didn't do bad with it, but the style changed so dramatically, and then it felt like he had to start backtracking to get the thing back in line with the original concept of redemption. Since Nicieza once wrote New Warriors, I'm curious to see how he handles the Penance character.
                      Oh, and New Warriors. Off to a slow start, but the characters are such fun and have such backgrounds. Any fan of the minor X-Men teens, including Jubilee and Chamber, Beak and his wife Angel, should without doubt pick it up.
                      Ms. Marvel is the guilty pleasure these days. Surprisingly fun, and they brought in Sleepwalker and Machine Man. Nothing screams flashback to my favorite early 90's comics like Sleepwalker.
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Currently, I am collecting:

Monthlies -
                        Captain America
                        New Avengers
                        Avengers: Initiative
                        Wolverine
                        Invincible Iron Man
                        Thunderbolts

Minis -
                        Secret Invasion
                        Dark Tower: Long Road Home
                        Avengers/Invaders
                        Young Avengers Presents

I'm also slowly building my Gaiman's Sandman collection, one volume at a time.

Comment

Stickman (when it comes out)
                          Doctor Who (waiting for it to get good. Probably never happen)
                          X-Factor (brilliant)
                          Uncanny X-Men (waiting on issue 500)
                          X-Men Legacy (still waiting to see if its good)
                          New Exiles (hoping someone else starts writing it, as it is not good)
                          X-Force (not bad so far, good art)
                          Captain Britain and MI13 (Paul Cornell writes it. Looks to be great. Basically Excalibur)
                          Miss Marvel (surprisingly fun)
                          New Warriors (also surprisingly fun)
                          Thunderbolts (I miss Nicieza. Ellis is leaving... we'll see what happens).
                          Guardians of the Galaxy (Infinity Watch redux. Cool so far. A shame Rocket Raccoon didn't get his team name, Asskickers of the Fantastic.)
                          Last edited by J-Sun; 05-21-2008, 11:35 AM.
                          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Just revising my current reading list:
                            • 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine [on subscription] - bit of a dry patch at the moment, but hopefully the Summer Offensive will bring some good stuff.
                            • All-Star Superman (Morrigan Snort/Frank Quitely) - Winner of Eisner Best Continuing Series
                            • Thrud the Barbarian* (Carl Critchlow) - need to order #5 sometime
                            • War is Hell: The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle (Garth Ennis/Howard Chaykin) - 5-issue mini from Marvel Max.
                            • Punisher War Journal (Matt Fraction/Howard Chaykin) - short run by Chaykin similar to his recent post-Blade stint on Wolverine
                            • Wonder Woman (Gail Simone/Various) - will probably drop this as Terry Dodson doesn't seem to be drawing it very much as present. Will give it to #25 and then see.
                            • The Clandestine (Alan Davis) - 5-issue sequel to his '90s series, Davis' stories are always a lotta fun.
                            Might pick up Morrigan Snort's Final Crisis series from DC but we'll have to see. I haven't followed any of the other Crisis/Countdown comics that DC produced in the past couple of years so as long as FC is fairly self-contained (like Crisis on Infinite Earths was) I'll give it go.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

200AD
                              JD The Megazine

Graphic Novels

Hellboy
                              BPRD
                              SS of Conan Omnibus
                              All the Dungeon books by Lewis Trondheim (Hilarious)

Comment

Working...
                              X