Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Conan and Dark Horse Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan and Dark Horse Comics

Hello,

Here is a link for some Conan comic news:

http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/conan/index.php

How are these comics?, I never got any of them. :D

Thanks,

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

I think they are excellent . I'll miss Kurt on the book but Tim Truman is a big Howard fan so hopefully things will work out fine . The first two arcs are availbale in trade paperbacks and hardcovers though the first HC was a limited signed edition and might be hard to get hold of.

Cary Nord's unpencilled art does have it's lovers and haters . Some panels are very Frazetta ish while the detail in others makes one wish for an inker but Dave Stewart's colouring saves the day in most cases.

Generally reckoned by many fans to be at least as good as Thomas' version at his best , or even better by some.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
    The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

Comment

ahh,very cool, thanks alot Terry! :D

I'll check into picking them up at the local shoppe.

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The only Conan comics I've bought from DH were the P. Craig Russell ones: Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur:

I must admit I did buy them more for the art than the story, although it was decent enough. I might pick up the Kelly Jones' "Book of Thoth" and Mike Mignola's "Hall of the Dead" though.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

very interesting, the comic looks really good. :D

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
            Hello,

How are these comics?, I never got any of them. :D

Thanks,

-Lemec
            All the Conan Comics Published by Dark Horse are great and very well made.
            I was in my town comics shop in italy 6 months ago when I my hands stumbled on a english copy of the first dark horse book collectin the first iussues of the new conan series. I was impressed with the work of Cary Nord; I think he is one of the best artist I've seen and for sure is pencil is made for drawing the Conan character.

Now I have ordered all the conan books from US and I suggest you to do the same. They are really worth to have in a library!
            - Emrys -

Comment

My only real problem is that DH started with the idea of adapting the Howard stories, and they are doing an excellent job at that. But I'm worried that they are flooding the market with these side stories.
              Best/Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
                My only real problem is that DH started with the idea of adapting the Howard stories, and they are doing an excellent job at that. But I'm worried that they are flooding the market with these side stories.
                Sorry, didn't undestood your point...

With side stories you mean those not included in the regular series? If so do you mean that there are too many of those?

I think that those side stories are a nice add to the regular series...expeccially those involving the young Conan or the origin of Thoth Amon. (Didn't like much the jewels of gwalur, I would have liked it much if contained in the original series)

Have you ever heard about Redhand? Its a (new) comic by busiek and Alberti
                - Emrys -

Comment

I like that they are true to the Howard stories themselves - and for the most part they do perhaps the best job I've seen of storyboarding Howard's work. The adaptation of The God in the Bowl in particular featured a fight scene that was exactly as Howard described it.

I like too that they create these side stories to add depth to the original tales - its doesn't always work unfortunately. The Frost Giant's Daughter - was very good IMO, but the latest effort for The Tower Of The Elephant (aside from the excellent work on the source material) featured a prologue that wasn't even Howard, but appeared to have been taken from the Clark Ashton Smith story "The Charnel God".
                  Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Hi guys , for those of you that haven't heard DH are going to be doing a number of other REH comics . King Kull , Solomon Kane , an anthology title called Robert E Howard's Savage Tales and a graphic novel adaptation of Pigeons from Hell . No creator details yet apart from Joe Lansdale is writing Pigeons . He's currently writing the Conan and the Songs of the Dead series.

Terry
                    The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

Comment

Originally posted by terryallenuk
                      Hi guys , for those of you that haven't heard DH are going to be doing a number of other REH comics . King Kull , Solomon Kane , an anthology title called Robert E Howard's Savage Tales and a graphic novel adaptation of Pigeons from Hell . No creator details yet apart from Joe Lansdale is writing Pigeons . He's currently writing the Conan and the Songs of the Dead series.

Terry
                      Thank for the great news!!

Didn't Know that...It would be a must to have!

I have read something about King Kull when I was young but nothing about Salomon Kane!

I have a collection of R.E. Howard stories about Conan (adapted by De Champ & Carter) in my bookshelf and I was planning to buy the new Conan Centenary Edition to read (english) untouched Howard stories...Do you think that is worth book to buy?
                      - Emrys -

Comment

Originally posted by Emrys
                        Sorry, didn't undestood your point...

With side stories you mean those not included in the regular series? If so do you mean that there are too many of those?
                        Basically, yeah.

Have you ever heard about Redhand? Its a (new) comic by busiek and Alberti
                        Yeah, it was announced a while ago. Unfortunately, I don't read French, and Humanoids doesn't have an English distributor.
                        Best/Mario

Comment

I've got vols. 1-3 of the collections. I could make some gripes, but overall I think they're well worth getting. There is new stuff to pad out the Howard tales, but that's inevitable as the aim is to have a continuous narrative, and Conan just wasn't written like that.

Personally I probably wouldn't bother if they just stuck to illustrating the Howard tales - it's like "Give me more Conan, please!" And why not? There have been pastiches of varying quality for decades.
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Emrys
                            ...I was planning to buy the new Conan Centenary Edition to read (english) untouched Howard stories...Do you think that is worth book to buy?
                            I too have been looking at this Centenary Edition and as an utter Howard novice - I've only read the Conan/Elric and Jewels of Gwalhir comics - would like to know if this is the one to pick up or are there better editions (ideally in the UK) worth looking at?
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Apparently that's worth getting - although I don't believe you can get the illustrated Del Rey trades in the UK yet (I could be wrong of course) - those are very nice. Not having the HC I can't say what the differences are (other than its hardcover).

Wildside press has some nice (expensive) Howard volumes - and are currently reprinting all of his Weird Tales output in a 10 book series.
                              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
                              X