Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Re-reading Sandman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re-reading Sandman

    Re-reading Sandman, it's probably as good to me as anything Alan Moore has written, I would not say that lightly. The art though... let's just say I am spoiled by European and South American standards from reading lots of Humanoids comics. The inking seems to destroy the pencils sometimes instead of accentuate them, there's a lot of inconsistency of faces between panels too etc. But the story and the world make up for it. Don't get me wrong, the odd issue has brilliant art as well and it's unfair to expect too much from a monthly comic of the late 80's/early 90's, it definitely does the job. I'd still like a peak into some alternate universe where JH Williams did the art of the original comics. Or Moebius, now that would be something.

  • #2
    I agree some issues had nearly cartoon like drawings, sketches nearly unfinished. The best art was always the cover and when an invited artist came in to draw ( Bryan Talbot, P. Craig Russell, Shawn McManus, Kelley Jones, Charles Vess to name a few ). I suspect "someone" at DC thought probably the art should not obfuscate the writing on Sandman but then - as I said - we had some issues where the art was outstanding. It was not a surprise that Gaiman moved to books - because his stories fit better in books.

    I had a friend in college who once pointed me that - he was not even a fan of comics - and I said I read it because the text was great.

    Octo, are you reading the ultimate editions or the paperback collections?
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

    Comment


    • #3
      Love the Sandman. Agree about the varying quality of the art, although the only stuff that I had any real issues with was The Kindly Ones. The Wake, by comparison, was sublime. Overall, though, I didn't mind - the art remained representative of the story... and the story was just fantastic. Still miles better than much literature.
      The name that can be named is not the true name.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
        I agree some issues had nearly cartoon like drawings, sketches nearly unfinished. The best art was always the cover and when an invited artist came in to draw ( Bryan Talbot, P. Craig Russell, Shawn McManus, Kelley Jones, Charles Vess to name a few ). I suspect "someone" at DC thought probably the art should not obfuscate the writing on Sandman but then - as I said - we had some issues where the art was outstanding. It was not a surprise that Gaiman moved to books - because his stories fit better in books.

        I had a friend in college who once pointed me that - he was not even a fan of comics - and I said I read it because the text was great.

        Octo, are you reading the ultimate editions or the paperback collections?
        I have an odd collection of the ten volumes, some remastered and some in the original format, the remastered ones have a problem with stretching the art to the edges of the pages meaning you have to mess the binding up pretty badly if you wanted to see every detail. I also have the Death Deluxe Edition hardcvover. I have the Binder which came with book ten but it barely holds the books because the remastered ones are thinner and some of mine are originals. I'm also collecting Sandman Overture in individual issues as its being released.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post

          I have an odd collection of the ten volumes, some remastered and some in the original format, the remastered ones have a problem with stretching the art to the edges of the pages meaning you have to mess the binding up pretty badly if you wanted to see every detail. I also have the Death Deluxe Edition hardcvover. I have the Binder which came with book ten but it barely holds the books because the remastered ones are thinner and some of mine are originals. I'm also collecting Sandman Overture in individual issues as its being released.
          Just like me. I actually had bought all 76 issues as they were released in comic stores in Brazil but I sold them all in 2005.

          I have been buying an odd collection of hardcovers, Brazilian editions, non remastered, remastered etc. I only don't have the Brief Lives and The Wake arcs.

          I was reading about Sandman today and I remember that the least enjoyable art is at the issues of the Kindly Ones ark, still I cannot remember this affecting my appreciation.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
            Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post

            I have an odd collection of the ten volumes, some remastered and some in the original format, the remastered ones have a problem with stretching the art to the edges of the pages meaning you have to mess the binding up pretty badly if you wanted to see every detail. I also have the Death Deluxe Edition hardcvover. I have the Binder which came with book ten but it barely holds the books because the remastered ones are thinner and some of mine are originals. I'm also collecting Sandman Overture in individual issues as its being released.
            Just like me. I actually had bought all 76 issues as they were released in comic stores in Brazil but I sold them all in 2005.

            I have been buying an odd collection of hardcovers, Brazilian editions, non remastered, remastered etc. I only don't have the Brief Lives and The Wake arcs.

            I was reading about Sandman today and I remember that the least enjoyable art is at the issues of the Kindly Ones ark, still I cannot remember this affecting my appreciation.
            I've never picked up Endless Nights have you? That one looks interesting. he could have done a series for each of the Endless as long as Sandman and it probably would have maintained that quality due to the world and lore being so rich, but I respect him moving on to new things.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
              I've never picked up Endless Nights have you? That one looks interesting. he could have done a series for each of the Endless as long as Sandman and it probably would have maintained that quality due to the world and lore being so rich, but I respect him moving on to new things.
              No I did not . I think Gaiman did want to become a book author rather than comics author although loving the genre....
              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish he'd gotten a chance to do a few issues of Swamp Thing but it was a bit before his time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                  I wish he'd gotten a chance to do a few issues of Swamp Thing but it was a bit before his time.
                  I remember two and half years ago my wife and I were ( well my wife was actually I was just waiting her ;-) ) buying the school things for the kids and I was suddenly amazed when looking at things randomly I saw a two Swamp Thing stories written by Gaiman . I bought them and read , they were not quite good. I read somewhere else that these stories fit in one of the gazillion arcs that followed after Alan Moore stories ...
                  "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                  "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                    I wish he'd gotten a chance to do a few issues of Swamp Thing but it was a bit before his time.
                    I remember two and half years ago my wife and I were ( well my wife was actually I was just waiting her ;-) ) buying the school things for the kids and I was suddenly amazed when looking at things randomly I saw a two Swamp Thing stories written by Gaiman . I bought them and read , they were not quite good. I read somewhere else that these stories fit in one of the gazillion arcs that followed after Alan Moore stories ...
                    oh wow. maybe from that bloke, ehh, whats his name.. from Kickass oh yeah Mark Millar lol he had an arc, so did his buddy Grant Morison, was it during their era? they sunk the title

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree that Sandman was one of the break through titles that carried a lot of people with it. Also Gaiman seems a canny business person and learnt from other people's mistakes.

                      You can see him growing up as a writer through out the series. I do find that the story rambled at times, some of the one off issues were stunning. I felt the last volume The Wake was highly poignant and worked superbly.

                      Even thought DC has tried to relaunch Swamp Thing several times since Moore left. It has never quite worked, perhaps time to a big break from Alec Holland and total break.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have bought many of the omnibuses but from different pressings. Now the 30 years issues are being published here I am buying them again.
                        I have all of them digital bought from Comixology.
                        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm just reading the Sandman for the first time. I have the first two absolute editions. The first I have read and loved it. Now I need a little break then I will start the second.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fammann View Post
                            I'm just reading the Sandman for the first time. I have the first two absolute editions. The first I have read and loved it. Now I need a little break then I will start the second.
                            Hahaha I envy you twice:

                            You got these amazing omnibuses
                            You are reading The Sandman for the first time

                            :-)
                            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X