Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Superheroes & Realism (Batman, Superman, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday in one of the blogs I follow the author Andre Barcinski completely demolished Nolan's "Interstellar" ( needless to say that Nolan is one my favorite directors but I need to say that I haven't seen this film yet ) which is completely understandable from an aesthetic point of view. But a few commentators have migrated the discussion to the validity of comics as a form of art.

Someone there replied a comment made by me:

Uau! Citar Alan Moore e Eisner é prova cabal de alto grau de inteligência! Para que discutir se gostar de quadrinhos é infantilidade ou leve esquizofrenia?
    or

"Quoting Alan Moore or Eisner is the ultimate proof of high level of intelligence! Why to discuss that enjoying comics is childish or schizophrenia?"
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I'm a recovering snob.

"Camp" can be tubs of fun. So can professional wrestling, children's TV and the Commedia del Arte.

Likewise the comics. The best are very good, the rest are also-rans.

It is what it is, when it is.

Enjoy it.

Comment

"Quoting Alan Moore or Eisner is the ultimate proof of high level of intelligence!"
        Because parroting someone else's ideas marks you out as a real deep thinker?

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, but in short, a commentator said that "comics readers are rather infantile" specially super-heroes readers and I did mention him some counter examples like the works of Alan Moore. But you are right about what you said David. In the end at least I convinced the commentator to read "From Hell"...
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
            In the end at least I convinced the commentator to read "From Hell"...
            Job done!
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Titan magically terraformed

Not exactly superheroes, but same technique could apply when talking of bringing realism:

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2014/1...kind-of-magic/

We have stuff like the time turner. We could prevent catastrophes... But no! Let's give that to kids, to help them with their homework!

Comment

Working...
              X