Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Brett Ewins arrested and injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett Ewins arrested and injured

Here's some distressing news - Brett Ewins (2000AD, Skreemer, Johnny Nemo, Deadline) has been hospitalised after a stand-off in which he apparently stabbed a policeman.

Fortunately the copper wasn't too badly hurt, but along the way Brett picked up a serious-sounding head injury, and is currently in St Mary's, Paddington.

It's very sad; I loved his work when I was younger - especially his collaborations with Pete Milligan and Brendan McCarthy; the three issues of Strange Days would probably be among my Desert Island Comics.

Former 2000AD editor David Bishop tweeted a link to this local newspaper story earlier this evening: http://tiny.cc/ixo9c

Very sad news indeed. There was an interview with Ewins in The Judge Dredd Megazine last year which went into some of the problems he's been through since he had a breakdown in the '90s/'00s brought on from overwork. He's had a hard time of it since then and has apparently found it very hard (if not impossible) to get drawing again, at least to the standard of work we know him for from Johnny Nemo, 'Bad Company' and Skreemer. Here's hoping that out of all this he'll be able to get the help he needs.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Nasty indeed. Seems to be a man in clear need of help; let's hope he can find it (in a manner he can accept). And best wishes for the copper too.

Comment

I'm with Rothgo. This is awful news indeed and i must add,too close to the bone.
        I feel obliged to state here that the majority of people with mental illnesses usually harm no one but themselves.
        Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

There's an update on Brett's current condition and circumstances, as well as more details of the incident itself, posted by Tony V. Wright on his blog here. Makes for rather despondent reading.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

How absolutely awful.

He should perhaps be in a closed psychiatric ward, getting some of the help that he obviously needs, but Wormwood Scrubs?

It's downright inhumane.

Comment

Here are the contact details for Brett Ewins' local MP, Steve Pound.

http://stevepound.org.uk/stevepound/contact/

You might want to send him an e-mail, asking for his intervention in Brett Ewins' case:

[email protected]

Like I've just done.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                Here are the contact details for Brett Ewins' local MP, Steve Pound.

http://stevepound.org.uk/stevepound/contact/

You might want to send him an e-mail, asking for his intervention in Brett Ewins' case:

[email protected]

Like I've just done.
                I remember the artwork with great fondness ... I think I'll join you in firing off a few emails there P-M.
                Twitter: The system that put paid to the old adage 'politicians only lie when their lips start moving'

Comment

This came out a few days ago - things are sounding a bit more positive:

When Stephen Pound MP visited Brett Ewins

"I visited Brett in Wormwood Scrubs this morning and although it took some time for me to get used to his new heavily bearded appearance I was greatly relieved to find him in far better spirits than when we last spoke.

"He is receiving nearly all his medication and lacking only one particular tranquiliser but I’ll do what I can to sort this out.

"Brett now has his own cell and is producing a huge quantity of writing including work on his novel and many songs and poems."

Comment

Ewins' GBH case has gone to court:

2000AD Judge Dredd artist stabbed policeman, court told
                    London comic artist was 'sprayed with CS spray, hit twice with a truncheon and struck in the head as he resisted arrest'

An acclaimed comic strip artist who drew 2000AD’s Judge Dredd stabbed a police officer with a kitchen knife after being sprayed with CS spray, hit twice with a truncheon and struck in the head as he resisted arrest, a court heard.

Brett Ewins, 56, spent three weeks in hospital after collapsing from a cardiac arrest when he was eventually restrained at his home in Hanwell, west London.

Two police officers attending an incident at a neighbouring property on January 14 entered his house to prevent a breach of the peace after hearing “shouting and ranting”, Isleworth Crown Court was told.

They were confronted by Ewins allegedly wielding a four-inch kitchen knife.

To defend themselves PC Andrew McKelvie and his partner Matthew Harries sprayed Ewins with pepper spray and hit him twice on the arm but he kept coming at them, a jury heard.

Fearing for their lives one of the officer’s struck Ewins around the head with his baton but still Ewins came at them, the court was told.

David Allan, prosecuting, said: “The officers sprayed him with CS spray but it had no effect. One of the officers then struck him on the arm twice with his asp but still it did not stop him.

“When the officer thought he was in imminent danger of being stabbed he struck him on the head.

“Mr Ewins stabbed towards his neck, but the officer put his arm up to try and protect himself and the knife plunged into his arm.

“It was with such force the knife was buried right up to the handle inside the officer’s arm.”

The court heard the injured officer was able to escape and PC Harries restrained Ewins on the floor until back up arrived.

Mr Allan continued: “As a result of that Mr Ewins suffered a cardiac arrest outside the property.

“He was given CPR by the police officers and paramedics and taken to hospital where he remained for three weeks until he made a recovery.”

When Ewins, who now uses a walking stick, was interviewed about the incident he said he could not remember any of it.

The artist, who has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and is on medication, is charged with grievous bodily harm with intent. He admits stabbing the officer, but claims he was acting involuntarily after being struck on the head.

An expert witness for the defence will say the blow sent him into a state of unconsciousness similar to sleepwalking so he did not know what he was doing.

Mr Allan told the jury: “The defence are not going to be suggesting that he was insane rather he did not know what he was doing.

“We say you can infer from the way he was behaving and common sense that when he stabbed this officer in the arm he intended to cause him really serious bodily harm.”

The trial continues.

Comment

Sad news indeed! Like others here, his artwork has left a defining imprint upon my brain, especially Bad Company! I wish him well and better luck in the future.
                      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Just heard the terribly sad news that Brett has passed away, aged 59.

2000 AD released the following statement about Ewins’ passing on its Facebook page:
                        We are very saddened to hear of the death of artist Brett Ewins.

Throughout his years of working for 2000 AD, Brett was responsible for some truly unmissable art – from Judge Dredd and Anderson Psi Division to Rogue Trooper and his incredible work on Bad Company with Peter Milligan and Jim McCarthy.

He was also a hugely influential figure in British comics thanks to his founding of Deadline with Steve Dillon in 1988, something that changed the face of the industry forever.

Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Brett’s family and friends.
                        2000AD Online forum thread

RIP Brett.

Comment

Hello from France

RIP Brett
                          Papi

Comment

Working...
                          X