Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Superman: True Brit (Fawlty Powers!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman: True Brit (Fawlty Powers!)

Has anyone seen the preview for the new hardcover graphic novel Superman: True Brit, which will be written by John Cleese, among others?

(http://www.comicon.com/pulse/images_2/1tbrit.jpg)

"In this veddy British tale, the Last Son of Krypton's rocket ship crash-lands in an English town even smaller than Smallville, where the infant Kal-El is taken in by adoptive parents -- the Clarks -- who raise their son Colin to hide his powers, because the worst thing anyone can do is stand out in a crowd. But when Colin grows up to become a mild-mannered reporter working for the Daily Smear... he finds that the key to his success may be in going public. What will the neighbors think? "

There is a three-page sample in my July PREVIEWS catalog. It looks pretty funny, actually. Car's falling over an embankment. British Superman swoops up and catches it. Brit reporter says, "I can't believe what I'm seeing! A man in a cape and rather garish tights has just caught it! Gentle as a baby in arms! That should earn him some Rutles autographs! Well done, Superman! Jolly good!"

I'm especially looking forward to what Duncan has to say about this... :P

Superman: True Brit
    Written by Kim "Howard" Johnson & John Cleese
    Art and cover by John Byrne and Mark Farmer
    96 Pages, $24.95 US
    ON SALE October 13

http://www.dailyllama.com/news/2004/llama244.html
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Re: Superman: True Brit (Fawlty Powers!)

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    Has anyone seen the preview for the new hardcover graphic novel Superman: True Brit, which will be written by John Cleese, among others?]
    Well, I hadn't before, but I have now!

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    I'm especially looking forward to what Duncan has to say about this... :P
    Er... um... as long as I'm not under any pressure or anything!

The preview looks very funny. I especially liked the line about him being a "very super man". Jolly good show, and all that. It reminded me of a character from Justice League International, based on a Beefeater (the chaps who "guard" the Tower of London) who was basically Basil Fawlty in a superhero costume. Very funny at the time, and I have no doubt that an English Superman in the same vein would be worth a read. Not quite sure how many people will get the "Rutles" reference, but it warms the heart of an aging comedy fan. Bless you for posting the link PWV. I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time that any Python has ventured into the world of comic books... seems odd that Cleese should beat Gilliam to it, but there we are.

I was talking to a friend only this afternoon about the strange humour divide between Americans and the English. On the one hand we (as English writers) feel a constant pressure to write "mid-Atlantic" material, which won't alienate a potential American market, and on the other hand we see very "English" shows such as Monty Python and The Office warmly embraced by our cousins across the ocean. Obviously we're all here because of an English author, whose books often contain rather "English" characters and references, so I won't insult anyone's intelligence by expressing surprise that such jokes and concepts could "travel". I just wish that more companies and producers in this country had faith in the intelligence of other nations to appreciate what we, as a nation, have to offer... whatever that may be. Richard Curtis aside, of course.

Er... that was what I had to say about it. Sorry to disappoint you. Still, stiff upper lip and all that... chin chin, toodle-pip, etc.

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I can just see Superman and Lex Luthor stopping in the middle of a battle for tea time :D

Comment

No disappointment here, Dee. Precisely the response I had hoped for from MWM's quintessential Brit.

I admit I had to look up what the blazes a Rutle was, but the research turned out to be quite a hoot!

"Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, piggy in the middle, doo-a-poo-poo."

I LOVE British humor (even if I do misspell it), especially if it isn't watered down. Monty Python is pure genius, as is Black Adder. It seems the more English the humor is, the more I like it -- dry as a bone and with a heaping dose of silly!

Originally posted by Kitsune
        I can just see Superman and Lex Luthor stopping in the middle of a battle for tea time :D
        Yeah, I can see it now.

"I say there, Supes, it's half past four. Might you be persuaded to lay aside the fisticuffs long enough to enjoy a spot of tea and perhaps a nice crumpet?"

"But of course, noble Luther. My drawing room or yours?"
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
        X