Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Gov, I just finished up The Sleeping Sorceress. I caught something this time around on one of the tales that I missed before (likely because I hadn't read JC before). Let me know when you finish and I'll drop you a line. Right now I'm just finishing up Michael Moorcock's Multiverse, a graphic novel I got some time back.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Will do Kevin.

I know you enjoyed the Barrytown trilogy but what did you think of 'A Star Called Henry'?
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• First Rate! Thanks for introducing me to Roddy Doyle (and, for that matter, for introducing me to Len Deighton).
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• You know Gov,i have a copy of Haggards She in my old bookcase in the loft but have never gotten around to reading it.
          Would you recommend breaking out the ladder?
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• If you enjoy extremely verbose dialogue done in an archaic style, then yes.

It was an enjoyable tale though, and Haggard knows how to wring every last ounce of drama out of a scene. It was rather hard to put down (but perhaps because I wanted to read one page more to see if he got to the point!)
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• You can leave the ladder where it is and read She online, tf.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I've got a 19th century job of King Solomon's Mines, I think, but it is certifiably a second edition 19th century job so it's a musty old book rather than an investment. Speaking of Haggard, at any rate. She has been recommended before.
                Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Cheers for that link David!!
                  Youve saved me a quite perilous expedition.Im going to give it a go tonight!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Had to pause in John Le Carre's A Most Wanted Man due to work, tax and music (shame about the first two but the last one has been fun and productive). So just about to restart!
                    Last edited by Groakes; 02-22-2009, 09:09 PM. Reason: forgot to enter book title!!!
                    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                    Bakunin

Comment

• Finished MM's Multiverse, moving on to complete Oswald Bastable's monograph as set forth by Mike's grandfather.
                      Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Just starting The Long Trial of Nolan Dugatti by Stephen Graham Jones on the recommendation of a friend who shares some of my literary sensibilities (or lack thereof ).

Anyone ever read him? He goes to some pretty dark places.

Comment

• Doc i've read Bleed Into Me by him and loved it.
                          Its a collection of short stories mostly involving the lives of native americans(if i remember right he is one himself).
                          Every story has a very dark but real feel.
                          Cheers for reminding me of him as i never got round to getting more of his stuff.
                          Something im away to put right straight away!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• My friend who made the recommendation knows him a little, and interviewed him on raintaxi.com. He seems remarkably well-adjusted for someone with an imagination so disturbing.

Before starting this, my experience with his work consisted of reading two of his short stories. While I'm reading his latest novel as my first, many people tell me Demon Theory is the best starting point for his novels.

I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

Comment

• Cheers Doc.
                              Think i'll get Demon Theory first.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I did finish The Truelove. Just when you might start to feel that O'Brian's characters are Mary Sues, he gives you a story like the bit about Clarissa Oakes. She seemed very true to life.

I've also read a bit of non-fiction.
                                A Decent Orderly Lynching. Conclusion: Henry Plummer was an unsuitable sheriff, but probably not the head of a super-secret Mafia of stage robbers.

Lightning Meets the West Wind: the Malaita massacre. Ultra-hard bounty-hunting traditionalists meet British colonialism head on in the Solomon Islands. The colonialists "win."

Last of the Old Time Outlaws: the George West Musgrave story. A Texas train robber heads south to become a boss rustler in Paraguay.

The Travels of Marco Polo. What can I say, the dude got around.

I took some time to read some short stories and novellas from the old Saturday Evening Post. I have PDFs of these. I read The Chisolm Trail (the basis for Red River, directed by Howard Hawks, starring John Wayne & Montgomery Clift) by Borden Chase. I wasn't that impressed. Also some stuff by Louis L'Amour & James Warner Bellah. Today I got back to Patrick O'Brian and started on The Wine Dark Sea.
                                Dave Hardy
                                http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X