Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well. Hmm...
    I read "Swords of Lankhmar" years and years ago. I could never find the first 4 volumes and I have been itching to read them for... oh, I dunno... 30 years? I kept checking and checking used book stores, new book stores, etc. (I'm not much for buying online as I like to "hold a book in my hands")
    I did find a copy of "Swords Against Wizardry" a few years ago, which I have refused to read until I could get the first 3 books.
    Well, last week I was at B&N. While I was there I picking up the first three Ballantine "Elric" books: "The Stealer of Souls", "The Quest for Tanelorn" and "The Sleeping Sorceress". Just to add those to my collection... Mind you.
    Then!
    BAM!
    Loe and behold I notice that Fritz Leiber is back in print!!!!
    I picked up new copies of "Swords and Deviltry", "Swords against Death" "Swords in the Mist"!

Anyways, I am reading "Swords and Deviltry" now.

I guess this could also go in the "What books have you recently bought" thread as well eh?
    Naaaaw... here is good enough methinks.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by "TheDoctor" View Post
      Just finished Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Brilliant. Utterly brilliant.
      One of the best comic books EVER!
      "The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so." - don Juan

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
        Currently reading David Mitchel's Cloud Atlas and enjoying it very much. I've even managed to ignore the fact that Richard and Judy (allegedly) liked it.

This was a classic example of a book hyped to the gills by the British literary establishment. Readers used to more challenging narrative structures tended to enjoy it, but I can confirm that despite its huge sales, a vast number of buyers despised it and didn't finish the book - so much so that his next novel was a commercial flop by comparison (this is a common occurrence). I heard from a friend that Oxfam told staff to stop taking copies of the book being donated as they had so many unsold copies. Not read it myself - I tend to have a blind spot with bestsellers much of the time, even if they are good. I have to wait years until the fuss has died down to get any objectivity.

In my experience as a bookseller, I've seen prizewinning/widely acclaimed novels sell really well, then afterward the authors' career return to its previous situation - and the conclusion I've come to is that many of the poeple who buy books because the cabal of critics and media luvvies go on about them don't like a lot of what gets raved about. Take Ballard - Empire of the Sun sold to an audience who wouldn't look at Crash or an SF novel by J.G. - none of his books were bestsellers before and the title that followed (The Day of Creation) wasn't a runaway commercial success.

Rant over. This week, I am mostly reading The Running of Beasts by the amazing Barry N. Malzberg & Bill Pronzini. I like a bit of American crime fiction now and then.
        2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

Hawkwind: Sonic Assasins by Abrahams!
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
            True, but The Poison Belt and When the World Screamed are still very fine imho.
            'The Disintegration Machine' was very steampunk, too. But 'The Land of Mist' left such a lingering bad taste I forgot the others' qualities. There are some books by other authors, too, featuring or mentioning Challenger, which might be worth a perusal. Quite like the look of the Manly Wade Wellman story.

Just realised the Lanier book and She both feature swamps rather prominently. Is my subconscious trying to tell me something?
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Well Julia and the Bazooka pretty much blew me away!
              Im now away to start one of Annas earlier books from the early 30s called The Dark Sisters when she was known as Helen Ferguson
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
                Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                Moved onto 'Hiero's Journey' by Sterling Lanier. Read it before, but that was at least twenty years ago. There is another one to go with it, as well. More Post-Apocalyptic action!
                Yeah, The Unforsaken Hiero. Read 'em both a couple a'years back. Very good.
                That's the one, DF. I'm sure I read that one too.

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
                There wasn't a third book, was there? The second doesn't quite wrap everything up, I thought, and it seemed like there might have been more, but I've never seen a third.
                Couldn't find any info on a third book on Wikipedia or the Fantastic fiction site but did find mention of an omnibus ('Hiero Desteen') on the ISFDB. Nothing else though.
                Just looked for Hiero Desteen on ABE http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...teen&x=21&y=15

The sellers just list 'Journey' and 'Unforsaken.'

Hasn't written a third.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still wandering in Andre norton's Witch World. Year of the Unicorn.

And a Space opera omnibus form Edmond Hamilton Starwolf.
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Since my last update, I've finished The Nutmeg of Consolation (any Patrick O'Brian fans out there?). Also Island of the Lost, a true story about two shipwrecks on Aukland Island. The End of the Trail, Westerns by Robert E. Howard. The Beautiful Cigar Girl, about the Mary Rogers murder and Edgar Allen Poe. Darkness Weaves by Karl Edward Wagner. Currently I'm switching between The Truelove by PO'B and A Decent, Orderly Lynching, an account of Sheriff Henry Plummer and the Montana Vigilantes. I started Marco Polo's travels, but got sidetracked a bit.
                  Last edited by Dave Hardy; 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM.
                  Dave Hardy
                  http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hardy View Post
                    ... I started Marco Polo's travels, but got sidetracked a bit.
                    No wonder, given the immensity of the rest of it: you'll be giving ThingFish a run for his money at that rate!

Comment

Nah Daves reading activity there makes me look like a sluggish sluggishly thing!!
                      Still on Anna.
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I found I had more time for reading once I stopped talking to friends or family!
                        Dave Hardy
                        http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

HaHa
                          That'll do it Dave

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hardy View Post
                            Since my last update, I've finished The Nutmeg of Consolation (any Patrick O'Brian fans out there?).
                            Absolutely, DH! I have a big treat planned for myself someday soon, to start at the top and reread them all straight through.

For the nonce, though, started "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett and have been laughing out loud.
                            McN

"I learned: the first lesson of my life: nobody can face the world with his eyes open all the time." Salman Rushdie, 'Midnight's Children'

Comment

Just opened 'Earth' by David Brin

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                                Just opened 'Earth' by David Brin
                                Ah, that's the last science fiction book by Brin that I have to read before he simply has to write more. I really need to get to it!
                                My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Working...
                                X