Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished reading the Gollancz anthology of the Von Bek books, which was amazing! I've just started reading M. John Harrison's "Things that Never Happen" anthology, after which I'll be reading the Fantasy Masterworks collected edition of his "Viriconium" books. I've read them all before, and know I'll thoroughly enjoy them again!

Comment

• Finished The Rose by Charles L. Harness, and I can see why Mike and all the others liked it so much. It doesn't read like the other SF of the time and would have been a shining example of how good it could be. There were two other stories collected with it; 'The Chessplayers' and 'The New Reality'. The first was a pretty throwaway story, not really SF, well done but not up the standard of the title story and the second started from a very good premise and built an entertaining story around it. Mike says in the introduction that Harness' stories nearly always reflect the human condition and that can be seen in all the stories, to greater or lesser degrees.

Just been reading the stories in The Best of MM that I hadn't read before, and thought 'A Portrait in Ivory' was very good. Nice to own 'The Visible Men', although I've read it before, and I couldn't resist reading the novella of 'Behold the Man' again either.

Later I'll be starting A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin and if it's half as good as the first one I know I'll love it!
      Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 12-27-2009, 09:07 AM. Reason: Punc.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Just finished The Many Colored Land by Julian May - I'd like to read the rest of the series but had to gift my collection to a friend some years ago and have not replenished it, so instead I'm reading Children of Dune. Pretty much comfort reading really.

Would anyone like to read one of my own humble efforts? I could use input/reassurance that it's 'good.' am selling a few copies on smashwords and can post a 'free copy' code if anyone expresses an interest. It's a fantasy novel - The Last King's Amulet.
        Considering it has taken 49 years to become 'not a complete ass,' I wonder if I shall ever become 'wise?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy View Post
          Right now, I'm reading Dancers at the End of Time - The End of all Songs.

Still haven't found the others in the series
          Katy, I have SFBC editions of the original trilogy around somewhere. Am going to start work on rearranging my library/office sometime in the week or 3. If I come across them I'll let you know and maybe we can arrange a swap or something if you are interested.

Chris, might give reading your story a try tho I can't guarantee anything. Never was much of one for reading electronically and that's gotten even less since I can't lay in bed, my favorite reading position, and hold my laptop. I can lean back in my lounge chair tho and put the laptop on my side table which isn't too bad. Problem with that however is my chair is in the familoy room which isn't a spot most condusive to relaxing reading when everyone is home <G>. If a number of people make it worth your while to make it available you can count me in to make a go of it.

Just finished Night and Day by Parker, his Jesse Stone series. Parker's a nice read when you don't wish to tie yourself up. His stories flow along fairly quickly and are fairly straightforeward so you aren't having to think or go back to try and figure out whys and wherefores and did I miss something. Good reads when you need what was described as "comfort reading" in an earlier post. Now I have to decide which direction to take next.

herb
          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Finished reading Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy plus "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case", in paperback anthology form. That'll be a tough review as it will cover a lot of material but I certainly can't complain about the content.

I had a couple of choices and went with Gloriana for my current read, the last unread thing I shipped to Canada from Minotaur in Melbourne.
            Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
              Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 1. It's always good to read a good space-time re-telling of Ragnarok after watching a good space-time re-telling of Hawkeye.
              Did you spot Thor's Hammer on page 2 - double page spread of issue 1?
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I've put 'Retief and the PPP' up for a while, and started The Armageddon Crazy by Mick Farren.
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Herb, I decided that any interest is enough. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/2299 - this link will take you to the page... or if you prefer goto smashowrds.com and search by name or title - The Last King's Amulet. The coupon number is JQ82L (not case sensitive) and that'll get you a free copy.

Just started reading OSC's Intergalactic medicine show on my laptop and I thought I'd hate it (not the mag') but when the work is good I'm happy enough. Maybe I'll investigate an ereader after all.

Out of context, this random thought fo the day. There are people who don't think Family Guy is funny. They are the same species as me. i find that hard to believe.
                  Considering it has taken 49 years to become 'not a complete ass,' I wonder if I shall ever become 'wise?'

Comment

• No Chris they are aliens who can only be exposed by this bizarre trait!
                    Or,of course,by a pair of those shades that 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper wears on They Live!!
                    Your book looks good by the way.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Thanks Chris, I'll give it a look. Have my daughter this week so don't know how much reading will get done but we'll get there sometime.

As for those who don't find Family Guy funny I guess we are just divirgent as hell as a species. After all, I find it hard to believe that Will Ferrell is considered funny but they keep making movies with him as the star so someone must like him.

herb
                      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Night Singer: The Collected Poems of Frank D. Moore. Poems from 1995 through 2005 about the author's experiences in KY, PA & NM.

Comment

• I just finish "The art of war" of Sun Tzu : interresting.
                          Papi

Comment

• Next up for me is The Visitor by Sherri S Tepper
                            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                              No Chris they are aliens who can only be exposed by this bizarre trait!
                              Or,of course,by a pair of those shades that 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper wears on They Live!!
                              Your book looks good by the way.

The Live is one of those movies I plan to catch sometime - it can take a while as I no longer track things down, having learned patience. Just watched Aeon Flux which I 'planned to catch sometime' four years ago. I thought it would be good. I was wrong. If anyone can think of any redeeming features please point them out.

Thanks for the comment, hope you still think so if/when you finish. I know I'm offering to a pretty discerning audience.

Comment

• Just finished Beechcombing - Narrative of Trees as I was intrigued whilst reading an acquiantance/mate/friendly artist who used it a lot in her thesis. The idea of romanticism and how it effects the viewer looking at paintings, in particular our interest in trees.

Picked up Fun House by Alison Bechdel - who I have never heard of and then maybe Hav by Jan Morris. That I have been saving and think I should get round to reading sooner rather than later.
                                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Working...
                                X