Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers Kevin,im going to ask at my library tomorrow about it.
    Reading Beyond Armageddon and England Invaded perked my interest in those writers.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• For me, it was a rough exchange on the Turpin thread between some person and the (rightfully) peeved author. Did a little research and found that Nevins is the pro from Dover on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Then, I was off and running!
      Last edited by Kevin McCabe; 12-20-2009, 03:32 PM.
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
        It's also really expensive - 327 pounds at amazon.uk.
        That's because it's OOP. The original list price was $50.00(!) when it was published in 2005.

Kev, would you be able to photocopy/scan Mike's introduction at all?
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Reading The Second Book of Fritz Leiber.
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
            Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
            It's also really expensive - 327 pounds at amazon.uk.
            That's because it's OOP. The original list price was $50.00(!) when it was published in 2005.

Kev, would you be able to photocopy/scan Mike's introduction at all?
            I'm technologically challenged. Not so, the kid! And, given that Christmas is lierally just around the corner, I'm sure she will accomodate.
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• That would be great, Kevin; thanks.

We have a section of the Image Hive for Mike's Introductions to other peoples' books that aren't so easy to get hold of, so I'm sure others would be interested in seeing it.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• At the doc's his morning for my bi monthly IV so started The Professional by R.B. Parker. Newest Spenser. About halfway through and book has taken an interesting twist.

herb
                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Recently finished Mission to the Stars by A.E van Vogt. Then I discovered that I already had this book stowed in my boxes.

Didn't remember any of it, so, apparently, I never read the first copy I had.

Now reading an older Star Trek book, #81, Mudd in Your Eye by Jerry Oltion.

Also Keith Laumer's Retief and the Pangalactic Pageant of Pulchritude
                  Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• 1/2 way through Mr. M's The Revenge of The Rose. First time I've read this; I found a hardback copy with a somewhat beaten paper cover still on it--and I believe it is 1st edition US--in a used book & record store in Kentucky (along with a Hawkwind CD).

Comment

• Not read his Mission to the Stars DF but i recently read Moonbeast which was excellent!
                      Just finished the Vance earlier and it was another excellent yarn from the great man!
                      Still find myself in sci-fi mode so its a bit of Brian Aldiss next,Space,Time and Nathaniel.
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• A reprint of Sherlock Holmes as he appeared serialized in the Strand magazine; intending to read Charles Dickens' Christmas Book.
                        sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                        And incense the power of man with God
                        But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                        And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                        by Peter Cape

Comment

• Finished Hawksmoor and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants something a bit different and very well written. Moved onto The Rose by Charles l. Harness, which has a foreword by Mike. Nice!
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Next on the agenda for me is-

The Art of Seeing-Aldous Huxley

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Right now, I'm reading Dancers at the End of Time - The End of all Songs.

Still haven't found the others in the series

Comment

• Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 1. It's always good to read a good space-time re-telling of Ragnarok after watching a good space-time re-telling of Hawkeye.
                                Kevin McCabe

Comment

Working...
                                X