Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion L. Idriess' Flynn of the inland: Man of Vision. It's about the man who set up the Flying Doctor service in Central Australia. (FWIW, I grew up knowing quite a bit about the Flying Doctor service, and in fact, quite a bit about Australia, since the Commonwealth had charge of all schools in PNG that the various churches already didn't run. Albert Namatjira? Of course! )

It's a very interesting read - Ion L. Idriess skips very closely by the attitudes Mike takes satirical aim at in Warlord of the Air with one Scout leader Ronlad Reagan, and only avoids them through basically ignoring half the population of the Outback, the Australian aborigines.
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Comment

• Just started Black Elk Speaks by John G. Neihardt
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• The other day finished The Count of Monte Cristo and started Soldier of the Mist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamont Cranston View Post
          The other day finished The Count of Monte Cristo and started Soldier of the Mist.
          LC, the abridged or unabriged Monte Cristo? I had copies of both the Count and the 3 Musketeers I had gotten in high school and always felt that some things were missing in the stories. They read well but sometimes it seemed things happened without proper explanation. As I got older I started reading the title pages and finally realized they were abridged copies. When my uncle died when I was in my 20s I inherited a large number of books from him, most not really worth anything as they were reprints and the subjects didn't interest me, but there were a few gems, worth reading if not collecting. I found unabridged copies of Monte Cristo, the Musketeers, Scaramouche, Captain Blood and a few other adventure novels. The difference in them vs the abridged copies was amazing. In Monte Cristo there is much more story and back story on Haydee than you get in the abridged version just to name one thing. So just thought I'ld check and see what you had read since most paperbacks in the stores are abridged.

herb
          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Just started Silks by Dick and Felix Francis. Behind that are Mirror of Worlds and The Gods Return, the final two books in David Drake's Lord of the Isles series. If I can remember where I put Mirror that is. It came in just after I had my stroke so didn't get read and things ot mixed around at that time so it's strayed.

Following that, The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano. Just replaced my old paperback of that, which fell apart on me, with a first printing hardcover. Book is in near fine shape, almost new, yet the jacket is crap. Can't figure out how that happened.

herb
            herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comment

• Finished Lucifer's Hammer and enjoyed it a lot. Could see where the authors saw the world from, though, and it did detract a little from the overall experience. Still worth a read though.

Started Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd straight after. I'm in as far as the third chapter and haven't a clue what's going on yet. It's very well done, though.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Never read any Peter Ackroyd Gov,what kind of stuff does he do?
                I just finished the three Rose Von Bek books and loved them.
                Am now away to start Iron Council by China Mieville.
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The man is a star tf: quality multi-temporal narrative with real point behind it. Plus some darn good bits of historical (English) work. I've bought more than I've read 'cos the positives vibes from those I have: oh for the time!

Comment

• Thats good enough for me Rothgo.
                    Im off to have a look for some.
                    Any recs for a first read?
                    Know what you mean about time,my to read pile is getting silly!!
                    My new years resolution is to have it whittled down by February.
                    We'll see!
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Ira Progoff's Jung, Synchronicity, and Human Destiny. Concise, clearly-written text that is very helpful in understanding the history and structure of the Synchronicity principle. It was written by a psychologist who was famous in his own right, and who studied with Jung.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                        Originally posted by Lamont Cranston View Post
                        The other day finished The Count of Monte Cristo and started Soldier of the Mist.
                        LC, the abridged or unabriged Monte Cristo? I had copies of both the Count and the 3 Musketeers I had gotten in high school and always felt that some things were missing in the stories. They read well but sometimes it seemed things happened without proper explanation. As I got older I started reading the title pages and finally realized they were abridged copies. When my uncle died when I was in my 20s I inherited a large number of books from him, most not really worth anything as they were reprints and the subjects didn't interest me, but there were a few gems, worth reading if not collecting. I found unabridged copies of Monte Cristo, the Musketeers, Scaramouche, Captain Blood and a few other adventure novels. The difference in them vs the abridged copies was amazing. In Monte Cristo there is much more story and back story on Haydee than you get in the abridged version just to name one thing. So just thought I'ld check and see what you had read since most paperbacks in the stores are abridged.

herb
                        Penguin Classics, translated by Robin Buss. It was 1,243 pages so I damn well hope it was unabridged.
                        Yeah there was a lot of history provided for Haydee and a chapter devoted to Danglers lesbian daughter.

Comment

• Yup, the unabridged edition <G> That's one they don't put in the abridged editions.

herb
                          herb

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Never read any Peter Ackroyd Gov,what kind of stuff does he do?
                            I reckon you'll love Hawksmoor, tf. It's unlike anything I've read before, with a very distinctive feel. Can't speak for any of his other work, 'cos I don't have any. And, I'm with Rothgo: I'll certainly be looking out for more.
                            Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Cheers Gov!
                              Hawksmoor it is.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• All right fellows. I feeling a little inferior here. I'll admit it, I've read the Musketeers, but not Monte Cristo. I've been meaning to get around to Jung ever since I got here and heard Mike talk about archetypes. And, I've tried locate Ackroyd locally, but its a slim and expensive selection. (It's like that with all the London authors. I haven't found Scarlet Tracings for less than fifty bucks). Plus, the truth is I'm just plain addicted. Finished Game of Thrones last night and hit the bookstore at 9:00 (late night at work) and got A Clash of Kings. So, I'm not going to be measuring up for quite some time.
                                Kevin McCabe
                                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                                X