Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two at once

I've jumped into Illywhacker, by Peter Carey - a sort of Australian classic, a gentle cocking of the snout at various probities ... and Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence, in one volume, courtesy of Puffin Books.

Illywhacker's hilarious - I can see why shortly after its publication Australians gave it an unofficial "classic" status.
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Comment

• The bodley head h/b edition is a stormer: my best buy last year (or was it the year before?)

Comment

• Finished A Game of Thrones, and very much enjoyed it. Definitely be reading the others, when I get them. Rothgo, was there any particular reason why you didn't like it? Or did it just not grab you?

Going to start Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven next. Read it once before, years ago, and fancied it again. Plus, I'm still on my long drawn out (post-)apocalyptic SF kick.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• I loved Lucifers Hammer Gov-Enjoy!
          Just finished Hothouse this afternoon and cant recommend it enough so its some more Aldiss for me next-The Saliva Tree.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• TF, I read Lucifer's Hammer years ago and loved it, also Footfall was a good read by the same authors, Niven and Pournelle, along with The Mote In God's eye and it's sequel. Last night I opened, after over thirty years, my copy of Elric of Melnibone, wrapped in plastic and the sellotape had faded badly. It still has has white pages and I'm being very careful reading it again, enjoying it loads!!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• I never knew there was a sequel to The Mote in Gods Eye WW.
              Can you remember the title?
              This book would be an instant buy as i loved Mote.
              I read their Burning City which was ok but not as good as their earlier stuff.
              Enjoy yer Elriccing!!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The sequel was The Moat around Murcheson's Eye tf; still good, but not the splendid outing of the first.

Comment

• Cheers Rothgo!
                  Its a very high mark to follow right enough but im away on to Ebay and Abe to have a wee skeck.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                    I never knew there was a sequel to The Mote in Gods Eye WW.
                    Can you remember the title?
                    This book would be an instant buy as i loved Mote.
                    I read their Burning City which was ok but not as good as their earlier stuff.
                    Enjoy yer Elriccing!!
                    Seriously, the sequel to The Mote In God's Eye is 1994's The Gripping Hand. As I recall, it wasn't half as good as the original, but still worth reading.
                    Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

• I just scored The Moat Around Murchisons Eye from Abe books for£3.15 all in!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I finished James Ellroys three-part American Underworld the other day, 'physically drained' is the only way I can describe how it left me.
                        Going in an entirely different direction, today I started Ursula Le Guins The Dispossessed. Through my own inclinations I'm already familiar with the politics but its still proving to be very interesting.
                        Last edited by Lamont Cranston; 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• "Blood's a Rover" huh? I'm keen to pick up a copy of that in Hardback as I have all the Ellroy novels since Black Dahlia in HB.

Have just started a rerun of Mark Chadbourn's "Age of Misrule" to see if it was as good as I thought when I first read it in 07.
                          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                          Bakunin

Comment

• Finished The Dispossessed. Rather quick ending.

On to the Tiptree short story collection Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                              Finished A Game of Thrones, and very much enjoyed it. Definitely be reading the others, when I get them. Rothgo, was there any particular reason why you didn't like it? Or did it just not grab you?

Going to start Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven next. Read it once before, years ago, and fancied it again. Plus, I'm still on my long drawn out (post-)apocalyptic SF kick.
                              The other Thrones books are great.

OK now you guys are making me want to check out these Niven books. I read Ringworld last year and quite enjoyed it.

Presently I'm up to the 2nd in Harry Harrison's Deathworld series which is a fun read so far.

Before that was The Warhound and the World's Pain by Mike as inspired by a recent thread here.

And before that I read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole 13¾ by Sue Townsend which was surprisingly really funny: ie. I actually laughed out loud more than a few times. I dimly remember a sequel. Was that as/any good?
                              Last edited by Chris T; 11-20-2009, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                                Finished A Game of Thrones, and very much enjoyed it... Rothgo, was there any particular reason why you didn't like it? Or did it just not grab you?
                                I thought a great number of characters were fodder and starkly (boom boom?) unrealistic. It read like an exercise in world-building with a only a small small story underneath. As for the dragon girl and her brother: please. Sure she'll come back yada yada. If not for the dwarf, I'd have never read the sequel. With the dwarf, two of them is as far as I'll go: there isn't the payback for the effort put in.

Comment

Working...
                                X