Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started the omnibus, Von Bek. Picked up an signed copy. As a collector I like to have at least one signed work by an author in my collections of his work and finally got Mike's. Just wish it was on an Elric book. Still on the first story, Warhound ...,. For all the reading of Mike's works I've only read one Von Beck story.

herb
    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• You're in for a treat there Herb!
      Im away to start Hot Sky at Midnight by Robert Silverberg.
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• All Quiet on the Western Front

Just finished All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque.

The writer's a genius. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

Heartily recommended.
        sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
        And incense the power of man with God
        But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
        And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
        by Peter Cape

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
          Started the omnibus, Von Bek. Picked up an signed copy. As a collector I like to have at least one signed work by an author in my collections of his work and finally got Mike's. Just wish it was on an Elric book. Still on the first story, Warhound ...,. For all the reading of Mike's works I've only read one Von Beck story.

herb
          Von Bek is one of my personal favourites in the entire Eternal Champion series. Jherek Carnelian and Corum are two of my other favourites - Erekose and the Prince of Ruins himself, Elric of Melnibone, are my other two.

I think you'll love Von Bek. it gets gloriously baroque at the ending - kind of like a Mother London chronicled by Elric and edited by Jherek Carnelian, subedited by Moonglum.

From my POV, you're lucky getting a signed copy of Von Bek - cherish it.
          sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
          And incense the power of man with God
          But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
          And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
          by Peter Cape

Comment

• The Last Stand of the DNA Cowboys by Mick Farren. As yet, it doesn't seem to be a direct sequel to the previous three. Doesn't pick up where the last left off. Still good, though.

Was reading Elminster in Myth Dranor by Ed Greenwood, but it's sort of boring at the moment, so I picked up my copy of Elric in the Dream Realms. Read 'Earl Aubec of Malador.' Too bad that series was never written. Sounds really good.
            Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• I am reading Skrayling Tree. For some time, I have had a bookcase dedicated solely to Mike's books. Granted, it is thin but has a quite a few of his books. With recent purchases, however, I am going to have to change things up a bit. I think I will move his books to the top of my large bookcase and transfer selected SciFi/Fantasy classics to the smaller case. A few books and authors (their works, not bodies) to find a new place to rest include Dune, Weis/Hickman, Salvatore, Robert Heinlein, Lanark: a life in 4 books, Craig Shaw Gardner, the Dark Tower and several others.

Lee

Comment

• It's been a while since I checked in, so I have gotten through rather a few. Read Revenge of the Rose, The Cornelius Chronicles & The Wrecks of Time. It may have been a mistake to tackle Cornelius straight through. The Final Programme & Condition of Muzak made the biggest impressions on me.

Also read Cahena (Manly Wade Wellman), a very good historical novel, Why Not You and I? (stories by Karl Edward Wagner), Black Alibi (Cornell Woolrich, a 1940s eraNoir-thriller, the crime is almost peripheral to the characterization, terrific stuff), and Set the Seas on Fire (a Nelsonic fantasy-swashbuckler by Chris Roberson). I had rather a bit of free time recently. I recommend all of the above.
                Dave Hardy
                http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

• I'm re-reading Bester's "Stars My Destination" - great stuff, of course. I'm not sure about the Chris Moore cover though with a rather calm, peaceful looking Gully Foyle.

Yeah I love the Von Bek stuff too, esp. the first one. I might bump that omnibus up the re-read pile next.

Comment

• Finished Warhound. Thoroughly enjoyed it tho wonder why most major religions haven't conducted heresy trials on Mike by now <G>. Ready to move on to the next story. That's the problem with this damned weak arm. Would have been finished the book by now but can only get through a few chapters at a time with something as heavy as the omnibus editions before the arm is too tired to continue. Even more annoying since I have started back at the gym to try to strengthen it, it's tired before I even start right now. Even worse, the Elric and Corum omnibus editions have arrived and so are sitting on the to read list. At least them I've read most of the stories tho there is a tale or two in the Elric volume I don't think I've read.

herb
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Away to start The Executioners Song by Norman Mailer.
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Hardy View Post
                        It's been a while since I checked in, so I have gotten through rather a few. Read Revenge of the Rose, The Cornelius Chronicles & The Wrecks of Time. It may have been a mistake to tackle Cornelius straight through. The Final Programme & Condition of Muzak made the biggest impressions on me.

Also read Cahena (Manly Wade Wellman), a very good historical novel, Why Not You and I? (stories by Karl Edward Wagner), Black Alibi (Cornell Woolrich, a 1940s eraNoir-thriller, the crime is almost peripheral to the characterization, terrific stuff), and Set the Seas on Fire (a Nelsonic fantasy-swashbuckler by Chris Roberson). I had rather a bit of free time recently. I recommend all of the above.
                        I did the Quartet straight through. I'm probably permanently dented, but it's a good kind. One of these days I'm going to go back and re-read ACFC.
                        Kevin McCabe
                        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• I read the Quartet, the Calendar, The New Nature of the Catastrophe, Firing The Cathdral, and any other uncollected stories I had, one after the other, a few years back. I still don't know who I am!

Still plowing through AGoT. Up to page 600 or so now. And the last 100 pages have been something else. If you think it's been good so far, Kevin, wait till you get to about page 500. It really kicks off then!

Just read a story ('The Ring of Thoth') from Tales of Unease by A. C. Doyle, before putting it in my work bag. Building up quite a collection of his work. I have the complete Sherlock Holmes tales, complete Professor Challenger, complete Brigadier Gerard, and now this. I'd imagine it will be quite difficult to track down his lesser known works. Not been too impressed with his stories dealing with spirirualism though, so I wouldn't be too worried if I didn't get hold of many of them.

I have to admit that I am struggling with The Shores of Death. I've been trying to work on some stuff for the Wikiverse, but I really can't get into the book. Not sure if it's the story or just the fact that I haven't been able to devote any decent amounts of time to it in any one go. I've read it before and it didn't strike me as particularly hard to engage with, so I'm thinking it's the latter. Times and tastes change though, so...
                          Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 11-07-2009, 06:18 AM.
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• With Blood's A Rover published recently I am now reading James Ellroys American Underworld series in one go.
                            I began American Tabloid on the 1st and finished on the 7th, The Cold Six Thousand finished on the 11th, started Blood's A Rover today.

Comment

• Am away to open Hothouse by Brian Aldiss

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I picked up a copy of Ian Sinclair's 'London Orbital', from the Oxfam bookshop, in Bloomsbury Street, last time I was in London. So, I´ve made a start on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X