Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting A Game of Thrones. I'll be down with the flu (likely H1N1, as my kid has it) for five days. So I may make some headway, depending on how the fevers go/stay.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• You'll have to let us know what you think of that, Kevin. I'm up to page 200-something and loving every minute. (Sorry, Toe.) Seems like something happens in every chapter a la the Lester Dent formula, and that keeps you racing on through it. Be intersting to see if the quality falters over the course of the other books. (When I get them!)
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Even I liked the dwarf. But the rest... arrg!

Comment

• Almost through The Neural Atrocity by Mick Farren and am half-way through Elminster: The Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood.
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
            You'll have to let us know what you think of that, Kevin. I'm up to page 200-something and loving every minute. (Sorry, Toe.) Seems like something happens in every chapter a la the Lester Dent formula, and that keeps you racing on through it. Be intersting to see if the quality falters over the course of the other books. (When I get them!)
            Just turned past 200 myself. Same effect on me. Gotta say, the guy does not seem too troubled by breaking taboos left and right.

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
            Even I liked the dwarf. But the rest... arrg!
            My only whine so far is

Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Reading three books at once, as usual. I'm re-reading Edgar Rice Burroughs "A Princess of Mars," (Penguin Classics edition), also "Isis Rising" by Jean Stewart and "Destiny's Forge" by Ed Chafe and Larry Niven. My copy of "Elric-In The Dream Realms" just arrived yesterday from Amazon.com, so I guess it's really four. I first met MM at a signing for "Fortress of the Pearl" at the now defunct "Dangerous Visions" bookstore in LA (it still exists online), so I guess this Elric collection has special meaning for me.

Blood and Souls, Arioch!

Happy Halloween. Be ware pale trick or treaters with long black runeswords and moody crimson eyes.

Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

• Up to page 400+ now, Kevin. Didn't really draw the parallel with the dragons myself, but in a story this big there are bound to be echoes of Mike's creations and devices.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Only at 260 myself, Gov. Great book, literal page turner. As to Mike's stuff:

Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Well, when you put it like that...

Comment

• Golem 100 was an astounding novel, a proto-type for cyber punk?

Now on to The Island of Doctor Moreau by H G Wells.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Just finished The Pyat Quartet for the second time and once again was simply blown away by all four of them.
                        Am away to join Pebble in some Wellsian activity with The New Machiavelli.
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Finished The Inheritors a few days ago. I can see now why I didn't get a lot out of it when I was a teenager. But I can also see why it was on the curriculum. Very different from what I was reading at the time, I got a lot more out of it this time round.

Comment

• Wow, Gov, you really sat down and made short work of AGOT. So, what's The Inheritors? TF, good on you for the second read through! I'm still muddling through my first.
                            Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Kevin, The Inheritors is by William Golding. I had it in my work bag and decided to finish it last week while I was off.

Still got AGoT on the go. Up to page 460+.

Comment

• Thanks Gov, that looks like a good book. I'm still pluggin' along on AGOT, page 330.
                                Kevin McCabe

Comment

Working...
                                X