Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlike the main protagonist, it's guaranteed not to send you to sleep! Nice choice Herb!

Comment

• Reading: "The Cleric Quintet" by R.A. Salvatore and "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob
      "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
        Unlike the main protagonist, it's guaranteed not to send you to sleep! Nice choice Herb!
        First time I've read it. About halfway thru, enjoying it and getting ready to order Vol 2. Would add 3 and 4 but at $65 a pop have to space them out

herb
        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Currently half-way through re-reading "Immortality" by Milan Kundera. To me, this is superior to the much praised "Unbearable Lightness of Being". I am finding myself falling in love with his work all over again.
          ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

• Finished The Last Watch. Not sure where to go from here, though I do have Gloriana waiting for a first time read...
            Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• Go for Glory DP!
              Im about to pick up The Vengeance of Rome!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Vengeance of Rome, eh? Yours eyes have uncrossed then?
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Almost Gov!!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Opened Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed for the first time in ages - it grows on one ... I think it's one of the better "soft" SF I've read. I love the way the actual menace is so well hidden in plain view, and in the second book how it springs back to full life in a deadly flowering.

Also started Jack Kerouac's On the Road - I'm a long-time fan of Allen Ginsburg's, but have never followed through with the rest of the Beat generation; but I'd read a biography of Ginsburg's, and thought, better late than never. On the Road reminds me of Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory.

Also started reading Great Weird Tales - The Inmost Light by Arthur Machen. You finish the story, and wonder about how it could happen ... then shiver and turn off the light ...

On the non-fiction front, I'm working my way through The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition, Arnold Schoenberg's Fundamentals of Musical Composition, and Knud Jeppesen's Counterpoint: the Polyphonic Vocal Style of the Sixteenth Century. I'm still a complete idiot ...

`
                    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                    And incense the power of man with God
                    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                    by Peter Cape

Comment

• Just finished Lords and Ladies by El Pratchett. Still good, but has the Unseen University crew in it leavened by large quantities of Granny Weatherwax.

Also browsing through "Whaling and Old salem" which is suprisingly readable.

Des
                      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Originally posted by In_Loos_Ptokai View Post
                        Opened Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed for the first time in ages - it grows on one ... I think it's one of the better "soft" SF I've read. I love the way the actual menace is so well hidden in plain view, and in the second book how it springs back to full life in a deadly flowering.

Also started Jack Kerouac's On the Road - I'm a long-time fan of Allen Ginsburg's, but have never followed through with the rest of the Beat generation; but I'd read a biography of Ginsburg's, and thought, better late than never. On the Road reminds me of Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory.

Also started reading Great Weird Tales - The Inmost Light by Arthur Machen. You finish the story, and wonder about how it could happen ... then shiver and turn off the light ...

On the non-fiction front, I'm working my way through The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition, Arnold Schoenberg's Fundamentals of Musical Composition, and Knud Jeppesen's Counterpoint: the Polyphonic Vocal Style of the Sixteenth Century. I'm still a complete idiot ...

`
                        Reminds me of the book Arnold Rimmer is' reading in "Red Dwarf: Back to Earth" It was called "Astronavigation for Morons."
                        Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

• Golem 100 by Alfred Bester.
                          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by In_Loos_Ptokai View Post
                            Opened Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed for the first time in ages - it grows on one ... I think it's one of the better "soft" SF I've read. I love the way the actual menace is so well hidden in plain view, and in the second book how it springs back to full life in a deadly flowering.

`
                            Have a copy of Golden Witchbreed around somewhere. Forgot all about it. It's ancient, got it when I belonged to the SFBC back in my college days and haven't read it. Started it but it wasn't a book that grabbed me right away and so I put it down to move to other things and never picked it back up. May have to try it again now that you bring it up. I've run into various books over the years that I didn't care for right away. Usually bought them because I liked other works by the author. Some I've picked up later and once I've worked through the first couple chapters I found that thyey were pretty good after all. Will have to try this one again if I can find it. Thanks, maybe. Will depend on how it works out <G>

herb
                            herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Golden Witchbreed was alright: no better, no worse. I'm always a little disappointed by Mary Gentle: some great ideas but the practice lets her down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                                Golden Witchbreed was alright: no better, no worse. I'm always a little disappointed by Mary Gentle: some great ideas but the practice lets her down.
                                The only thing of hers that I've read is the recent one, 1610, and I loved it. I bought a copy for a friend who also loved it.

I can see what you mean though it was a bit long but on thinking back on it I can't see how it could have been otherwise.

I'll keep an eye out for Golden Witchbreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X