Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    You're in for a treat there Kevin!
    Im still on Jerusalem Commands
    It's sure starting out hot TF.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Rereading "Winds of Limbo."

Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• WoL was the first of Mike's books I read, Des. It was a few years before I read anything else by him. Couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

Of course, I know better now.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Reading along in the Hitopadesa.
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Just finished the last of the Morresseys and it was intersting to see how the stories used third person perspective in a variety of different ways. I'm not sure how much he wrote before or between writing these, but it seemed he was developing his technique over the course of them.

Next up is A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Sorry, Rothgo.

You never know: I might hate it!
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
              Next up is A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Sorry, Rothgo.
              YouTube
              Last edited by Rothgo; 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                  Rereading "Winds of Limbo."

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                  WoL was the first of Mike's books I read, Des. It was a few years before I read anything else by him. Couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

Of course, I know better now.
                  The Winds of Limbo (aka The Fireclown) is one of Mike's early 'copied' novels* being based on Benjamin Disraeli's Coningsby, which perhaps explains all the "political shenanigans" within.

FWIW, here's my review of TWoL from when I re-read it three years ago (almost to the day):

*The other being The Ice Schooner, based on Conrad's The Rescue.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Speaking of classic SF, I've moved on to Fritz Leiber's Gather, Darkness! Ah, yes, the "epic struggle between science and magic"...

Comment

• Neuromancer (again, at least the twelfth time, what a masterpiece).

A Game of Thrones ? I love it, myself, and I'm not known for my adoration of housebrick-sized sagas. As sharp as early Zelazny. If you don't dig Tryrion Lannister, you'll never admire any truly conflicted anti-hero...which considering that most of you lot love Elric, shouldn't be an issue.
                      2006: 100 Must Read Science Fiction Novels (5th printing 2009/Bulgarian Edition (!) due 2011).

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

sigpic

Comment

• Good review that Dave!
                        Interesting thought on the Hawkmoons,i never thought of the sci-fi element before.
                        Been reading a book called Why Do People Hate America by Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies whilst under mild sedation over the last couple of days and i dont know who im more angry at the subject or the authors!
                        Back on the Kernel soon i hope!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                          ...under mild sedation over the last couple of days ...
                          As opposed to your usual heavy sedation?

Comment

• Absolutely Gov,you have my card well marked!!
                            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I'm currently reading The Black Corridor by Mike. Perhaps the most undeniably "science fiction" book I've read by him. I like the experimental prose segments as a way of expressing space travel quite a lot.
                              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• Finally opened up Gaiman's Complete Sandman, Vol. 1. Definitely not an easy book to read with a weak arm but we're finding ways.

herb
                                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Working...
                                X