Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TF: I loved "The Black Corridor" as well. I will read it again when I have regained some sanity.(1cc.. Proditol...)
    "Darkest" doesn't even begin to describe the mindcrime I just endured! However.. I keep having these dreams...(Ahhh! reassuring dreams...) bothersome... yet : (so lovely and comforting filled with the sensation of sable....)
    I think I need something a bit more on the "light" side. I think I will read the second installment of the geodyssey series: "Shame of Man" by Piers Anthony.
    I was going to read some of the Aldous Huxley I just picked up, however, having read: "The Doors of Perception" and "Heaven and Hell" I just don't think I can handle him at this moment.
    My Wife suggested C.S. Lewis and I looked at her and said: "I said something 'light!'" LOL
    *sighs*
    She came back at me with some: Pearl S. Buck... "The Good Earth"...
    She rocks!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      Yeah its one of his darkest i thought VA,i read it for the first time a few months back and loved it!
      Just finished the book about Harry patch,what an amazing guy!!
      Am away to start Underworld by Don De Lillo
      Underworld is a great read. I read Falling Man by the same author a few days ago, it wasnt bad. I also liked White Noise but havent really liked the rest of his that I've read.
      Currently reading:

Comment

Originally posted by Muroc View Post
        "The Subtle Knife" - Philip Pullman. Second volume of the "His Dark Materials" set. Supposed to be for readers 9-12 but some of the concepts and plot lines are pretty heavy stuff. Definitely a great read though.
        I must be going around the bend ... ;) I read "His Dark Materials" as "His Dark Marmalade" ... now I'm going to be going crazy wondering what sort of person could say such a thing ... "A Bear Named Paddington", most probably, Paddington his Autobiography, discussing his protesting for the right of arming bears amongst other things, most lickly ...

For my part, I picked up Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White", and am enjoying it.
        sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
        And incense the power of man with God
        But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
        And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
        by Peter Cape

Comment

Originally posted by In_Loos_Ptokai View Post
          Originally posted by Muroc View Post
          "The Subtle Knife" - Philip Pullman. Second volume of the "His Dark Materials" set. Supposed to be for readers 9-12 but some of the concepts and plot lines are pretty heavy stuff. Definitely a great read though.
          I must be going around the bend ... ;) I read "His Dark Materials" as "His Dark Marmalade" ... now I'm going to be going crazy wondering what sort of person could say such a thing ... "A Bear Named Paddington", most probably, Paddington his Autobiography, discussing his protesting for the right of arming bears amongst other things, most lickly ...

For my part, I picked up Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White", and am enjoying it.
          Probably a Freudian slip - "Marmalade" & "Knives"

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

I'm currently reading Small Favor by Joim Butcher, A friend of mine got me a signed copy for christmas.
            Mutant Ill-Tempered Sea Bass Player

Comment

Finished 'Orbitsville' and enjoyed it. Could have been done very differently but the human angle makes it a very different story than if it had had a hard sf edge. I'll be keeping an eye out for the other two.

Moved onto 'Hiero's Journey' by Sterling Lanier. Read it before, but that was at least twenty years ago. There is another one to go with it, as well. More Post-Apocalyptic action!
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                Moved onto 'Hiero's Journey' by Sterling Lanier. Read it before, but that was at least twenty years ago. There is another one to go with it, as well. More Post-Apocalyptic action!
                Yeah, The Unforsaken Hiero. Read 'em both a couple a'years back. Very good.

There wasn't a third book, was there? The second doesn't quite wrap everything up, I thought, and it seemed like there might have been more, but I've never seen a third.

Finishing up The Avatar and just started Myth-Fortunes by Robert Aspirin (RIP) and Jody Lynn Nye.
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Just starting Profiles of the Future by Arthur C Clarke.
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
                    Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                    Yeah, The Unforsaken Hiero. Read 'em both a couple a'years back. Very good.
                    That's the one, DF. I'm sure I read that one too.

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
                    There wasn't a third book, was there? The second doesn't quite wrap everything up, I thought, and it seemed like there might have been more, but I've never seen a third.
                    Couldn't find any info on a third book on Wikipedia or the Fantastic fiction site but did find mention of an omnibus ('Hiero Desteen') on the ISFDB. Nothing else though.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Just started the final "His Dark Materials" novel and noticed one of the chapters is called "Lyra And Her Death".... arrggghhhhh... you can't kill Lyra....

I was instantly tempted to jump to that chapter to see if he did indeed kill off the main heroin but I controlled myself. Haven't go to that chapter yet....

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

Everything else put on hold as im away to start Fatal Revenant by Stephen Donaldson.
                        I know most people here are a bit snooty about Donaldson but thats your loss i personally cant wait to get my teeth into the next long awaited instalment of Tommy boy!!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I'm reading Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said which is odd because I thought I'd read practically every PKD book twenty years ago, but am finding I missed some of the best!
                          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

A series of chains and barbed hooks shot out of my book and lodged into my flesh.
                            Breakfast In The Ruins is both dark and addictive.
                            I'm finding that putting the book down doesn't release you from the story...eerie feeling it is.

Comment

Finished Barrytown Trilogy. Great read with the last novel being especially timely, just now. Thanks again for the recommendation Gov! Back to MD by Thomas Disch. I'm liking this evil Santa and mean-ass nun bit. Poor little kid.
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

I am not even sure what I am doing nowadays, I'm certainly not enjoying my day to day at work perhaps my latest book choice will blot out the pain

Finally getting around to trying, "Cowboys For Christ" - Robin Hardy

Comment

Working...
                                X