Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very cool TF.

I am glad you are enjoying the Belgariad as well.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Yeah VA,im finding them well addictive!
      Brilliant stuff!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Finished Berlin Game and loved every line of it. Brilliant book. Moved straight on to Mexico Set, the second of the trilogy.

Also (re)reading the Warrior of Mars trilogy for the Wikiverse, and loving every line of that, as well. Me and Michael C(K)a(i)ne, eh?
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Seperated at birth Gov!
          Not a lot of people know that
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Just started on The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius after finshing The Cornelius Quartet this afternoon.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• "Beloved" by Toni Morrison

Comment

• The Metatemporal Detective! Loving it!

das

Comment

• Nearly finished Enchanters End Game by David Eddings.
                  Next up is Sacrament by Clive Barker

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• "On Liberty" John Stuart Mill
                    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
                      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                      Bakunin

Comment

• I finished The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius.

I have to admit that reading The Cornelius Quartet and the above book were a bit of a chore for me. Very different than anything else I have read by our favorite author. I think I melted my brain (what little of it there actually is...)
                        I was confused most of the time while reading them. I had a hard time finding continuity and I figure it would probably take me another read through(or 2) in order to understand them better.

I have now started on the Von Bek stories with: The Warhound and the World's Pain.

I have gotten to chapter 3 so far and I am enjoying it very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vazkar Asquinol View Post
                          I have to admit that reading The Cornelius Quartet and [The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius] were a bit of a chore for me. Very different than anything else I have read by our favorite author. I think I melted my brain (what little of it there actually is...)
                          I was confused most of the time while reading them. I had a hard time finding continuity and I figure it would probably take me another read through(or 2) in order to understand them better.
                          I think it probably helps not to read them one after the other like a regular quartet but rather intersperse them with other books - perhaps by other writers as well - and then approach them as single works as you would any other book rather than a sequence. I'm not saying I understood it any better reading it in that manner but I do think, having read it, The English Assassin is an absolute masterpiece.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• *nods*
                            I think that is sound advice David. I am most certain I burned myself out reading them straight through.
                            I will most likely also read them in a different order next time to see if that helps any. Kinda like watching episodes of The Prisoner in different orders to gain perspective.

Comment

• Thats how i read them VA!
                              I started with The English Assassin.
                              For me the initial confusion is what drew me back to the JC books again and again.
                              I wanted to find out what i was missing,especially concerning characters like Catherine,Miss Brunner and Bishop Beesley and the differing relationships between all the characters.
                              On second reading a bit more will be revealed!!
                              The Adventures of Una and Catherine in the 20th Century and The Entropy Tango are two others in t5he series i'd heartily recommend!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Thanks for the encouragment TF. I also thank you for those recommendations. I will certainly add those to my list of purchases!
                                Last edited by Vazkar Asquinol; 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X