Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have that one on my never-ending list Kevin!
    I read The Plague a wee while back and was pretty much blown away by it.
    Have to nudge it up the list a bit now you've reminded me of it.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• You know, TF, the guy is really very readable for a philosopher!
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• in the middle of:

'The Condition of Musak'

errr.

What was I talking about?
        "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Reading a Trek novel The Great Starship Race by Diane Carey (ehh, so-so)

and just started Terry Brooks' Armageddon's Children, the first of the Shannara prequel trilogy.

Got the first two and #3 comes out July 28.

Also realized that these prequels are continuations (sort of) of his 'Word and Void' trilogy (pre-prequels) of which I only have the first book.

Be hoofin' to Borders soon . . .
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Good stuff DF!
            The Word and the Void is my favourite TB series.
            Will need to get round to buying the new Ohmsford stuff.
            Just away to open The Magicians Gambit by David Eddings
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Recently finished re-reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series and I'm now re-reading the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (Book 5 - The Fires of Heaven at the moment). You can't read series like these just the once, far too much to take in.... at least for my minuscule brain.

Comment

• I just picked up a collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to check him out but what I've seen so far is amazing... so much so that I almost wonder if reading it will make me as mad as the characters

Comment

• Never read any Robert Jordan Bardac,what kind of stuff does he do?
                  What would you recommend.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Len Deighton's "City of Gold"
                    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                      Len Deighton's "City of Gold"
                      I'm on my fifth Len Deighton book (Berlin Game) and I've loved every one so far. I can see myself tracking down all his fiction.

Finally finished Buccaneers of America by Exquemelin and picked up The Jungle by Upton Sinclair again. It's every bit as heavy as I remember it, and the light-hearted, jocular tone sometimes taken only serves to make it worse. Still not sure if I'll ever get to the end of it.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                        Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                        I'm on my fifth Len Deighton book (Berlin Game) and I've loved every one so far. I can see myself tracking down all his fiction.
                        I've been a Deighton fan alamost as long as I've been an MM fan. The "Game/Set/Match" trilogy was very good and very evocative for those of us who spent time in Berlin during "Iron Curtain" days.

The follow-up "Hook/Line/Sinker"

I'm surprised you haven't read that much Deighton, what with Mr Caine as yer avatar. He starred in "Funeral in Berlin" and "The Ipcress File" to my certain knowledge.

Des
                        Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                          Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                          I'm on my fifth Len Deighton book (Berlin Game) and I've loved every one so far. I can see myself tracking down all his fiction
                          A wee bit off topic, but while watching Bullet to Beijing the other night, I noticed the soundtrack was composed by Wakeman.
                          Kevin McCabe
                          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Never read any Robert Jordan Bardac,what kind of stuff does he do?
                            What would you recommend.
                            Robert Jordan was the author of the Wheel of Time series of books.
                            Some of the books are upwards of 1000 pages, most are in the 700-900 page size.
                            Personally, I quite enjoyed the series until the last few books when Jordan was dieing and the stories suffered. It can be a tedious series to read.
                            There is another author that is planning on finishing the series though as you can see on the link I provided.

If you want to read a VEEEEERY long series of books, these are for you.

I have them all(up to and including: Knife of Dreams) and have read them all through 3 times so far. I pick up more and more every time I go through them.

Sometimes I have waaaay too much time on my hands.
                            "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                              I'm surprised you haven't read that much Deighton, what with Mr Caine as yer avatar. He starred in "Funeral in Berlin" and "The Ipcress File" to my certain knowledge.

Des
                              I've been a fan of those films for a long time, but only read the books in the past year. Quite a bit to catch up on!

The avatar is a still from one of the films and the first quote in my sig comes from one of them as well. I forget which one!
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Cheers for the links and info VA!
                                Im going to try the first couple if i can get a hold of them.
                                I've just started on Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X