Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished Beyond Armaggeddon by Our Fearless Leader,am away to open part2 England Invaded!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I am half-way done with Tales of Suspense by Poe.
      Then I will start the Paridis series by Tanith Lee.
      `Old heroes never die; they reappear in sequels.` - M. Moorcock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Hardy View Post
        Originally posted by Liquidshadows View Post
        2. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was the ONLY book I can think of that was genuinely better as a movie than a book. As revolutionary as Mr. Dick was he never did learn how to tell a good story. Besides, I'm a sucker for a hard-boiled detective and that was far and away the best performance Harrison Ford ever gave.

3.Slippery Jim DiGriz is awesome and I should reread those books; I know I've still got them somewhere.
        I have to agree regards So Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Bladerunner. The book was a little too far out for me. As far as the film, I still quote lines from it after watching it 20+ years ago.
        "My mother? Let me tell you about my mother."

I made a point of re-reading the Stainless Steel Rat books. The omnibus of the first three is best. Other parts of the series are good, but sometimes Harrison seems to be going over the same ground. "He" is one of the best villains ever!
        "It's too bad she won't live... but then again who does"

My mom was nice enough to go through the books that I still have at my parents place and send me the Stainless Steal Rat books so I'll be revisiting them soon. Lately I've been on a Ken Follet kick though; World Without End, Hornet Flight and now On Wings of Eagles.

Comment

• I set down the Kool Aid and picked up The Scar (which has been sitting on my shelf long enough for the pages to turn yellow). I heard Mr. Mieville do a reading last night and I may understand a bit more about his use of the bleak. I stress may. He is a pretty complex cat and I'm going to have to study this stuff in fair detail.

At any rate, he is a hell of a nice guy and I take back and publicly apologize for my use of porcelain related adjectives, metaphors, and metonyms. I'm reserving comment on the darkness, though. After all, Mike conquered it once and for all in Mother London.
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Just finished Stormbringer. Geez...read the last 20 pages or so pacing through my house, unable to sit down. I'm totally drained...totally.

das

Comment

• Now is a good time to read the first JC novel! But, make sure you don't operate heavy equipment.
              Kevin McCabe
              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                Now is a good time to read the first JC novel! But, make sure you don't operate heavy equipment.
                Would I want to got there - or to Corum? Corum was suggested to me, although...I really still want to read more of Elric (still a few missing from the Del Rey books I have...not sure I'll be patient enough to wait their publication). I really am NOT ready to be done with Elric...kinda need more of the fella right now (I just got Elric: Making of a Sorcerer GN, but that will be a quick read).

das

Comment

• My vote is for JC, for reasons I won't disclose. I will say one word: Gneetlbatson. It will, however, be an extremely disorienting experience.
                  Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Im with the new CM convert!()
                    Jerry is the Eternal Champions Eternal Champion!!
                    And you also get to meet the rest of the time centre team including the inscrutable Una.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                      My vote is for JC, for reasons I won't disclose. I will say one word: Gneetlbatson. It will, however, be an extremely disorienting experience.
                      I think you might mean Gnatbeelson, Kevin?

You can read the first JC story Mike wrote in Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn, Duchess ( ), it's called Phase 1. It's one of the easier to understand of the Cornelius stories. Corum would get my vote, though.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Yeah Gov,the Corum books would be another fine choice.
                        Imo much better than the Elrics!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                          Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                          My vote is for JC, for reasons I won't disclose. I will say one word: Gneetlbatson. It will, however, be an extremely disorienting experience.
                          I think you might mean Gnatbeelson, Kevin?

You can read the first JC story Mike wrote in Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn, Duchess ( ), it's called Phase 1. It's one of the easier to understand of the Cornelius stories. Corum would get my vote, though.
                          Okay - you see my custom user title up there??

'Easier to understand' is where I'm at right now - my brain already feels like it's gonna start oozing out of my ears as it is!

das

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Yeah Gov,the Corum books would be another fine choice.
                            Imo much better than the Elrics!!
                            Depends on what I'm looking for, though. I read Elric 'cause I was really in the mood for a sickly, albeit sexy, albino with a crazyarse sword. I love me some moody, miserable, self-destructive fictional men...with long hair.

Of course, you guys probably just don't get that part of it...so...I'll move on. What 'time periods' are Corum and JC set in?

das

Comment

• The Governor is right, I seem to have mixed up the letters of someone's name. As to your question, DN, I think the answer might be exactly the same time period as my favorite emperor. (quantum mechanics always makes my head hurt). Ah, well, it's back to Miss Coldwine for me.
                              Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Cool,each to ones own!!
                                Corum is in the same time frame as Eric and JC is mainly all over the 20th century.
                                But then again JC is everywhere at all times as you will find out as time goes on Das.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X