Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naw, it's all good Thingfish. I still have a healthy disdain for those lagging bass novels of his. It's a pity the poor bass, a fair sportsfish, gets saddled up with a bad name! Seriously, though, this new book has .... some hope in it. I don't mean there's hope for the book. I mean that hope is an element for a change.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Currently Reading:

City of God by Augustine (book 3)
      The Evil in Mirror Lake
      Scion: Demigod
      Marvel Universe RPG
      The Iytean Menace (Doctor Who RPG)
      Doctor Who: Short Trips: Seven Deadly Sins

And that`s about it. A small number for me; I am trying to cut back on how many books I read at once.
      (Just finished Cairene Purse by Mike.)
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• In the interim since I last posted, I finished Armed and Magical (and it's very good, if anyone cares), and have since been reading a whole stack of stuff from a Lisa Unger novel to the short stories in the end of the 1990s White Wolf "Song of the Black Sword" compilation, to a manuscript I'm helping a friend with, to a mystery novel I just picked up at the thrift store last weekend (something called Water Witch by an author named Deborah LeBlanc). And if that weren't enough, my sil has made me promise to give Twilight a go. (ack!) Go ahead, ask which one I enjoy most! I bet you can guess.

Comment

• Lonely Planet City Guide to Tokyo

4 more sleeps!
          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
          Bakunin

Comment

• Originally posted by Groakes View Post
            Lonely Planet City Guide to Tokyo

4 more sleeps!
            Jealous! I might get to Korea / China / Singapore / Malaysia this next trip, but I miss Japan a lot. Get out to Nara on the Tokkaido line if you can: very cool!

Des
            Last edited by UncleDes; 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM. Reason: Forgot Malaysia, lah
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
              Originally posted by Groakes View Post
              Lonely Planet City Guide to Tokyo

4 more sleeps!
              Jealous! I might get to Korea / China / Singapore / Malaysia this next trip, but I miss Japan a lot. Get out to Nara on the Tokkaido line if you can: very cool!

Des
              Nara is definately on my itinerary. Will be spending quite some time in Kyoto and Kobe (don't ask) so Nara is only a hop, skip and a railway station away.

Have you been to the Japanese Deerpark?
              It's a large type artist ranch
              This is where Y Mishima wrote Ritual in the Dark

Whoops! Wrong song....
              Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
              Bakunin

Comment

• Have tons of fun Groakes!

The electric Kool Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe (they're filming it and I haven't read it in decades)
                Kevin McCabe
                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• I'm about to finish Barry Malzberg's Overlay
                  I got it for $2 2nd-hand: it's a 1975 printing and it looks like I'm the first person to read it. Oh and I'm loving it.

Up next I'm about to try my first Mary Gentle novel
                  1610: a Sundial in a Grave.
                  looks interesting!

I'm also reading a bunch of short story anthologies on the side:

The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, vol. 2
                  I'm up to Mike's story and am saving it for Sunday.

The Complete Short Stories of Ambrose Bierce
                  also taking my time with this one

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, vol. 15
                  some surprisingly good ones here, although the Gene Wolfe one was a bit disappointing.

Comment

• Recently read Swallow by Rider Haggard, The Real Cool Killers by Chester Himes, Elissa: the Doom of Zimbabwe by Rider Haggard, and I just started on Lost Echoes by Joe Lansdale.
                    Dave Hardy
                    http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

• Now started ' Mistress of Mistresses ' by E.R. Eddison, some archaic language but is looking good so far!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• That Solaris anthology is a pretty good collection Chris, I enjoyed that. Started me reading more SF again.

What are those Rider Haggard books like, Dave? I recently read She and Ayesha and enjoyed them immensely.

Just finished Elric: Duke Elric, and the title story was very informative. I obviously didn't get everything when I read the Multiverse comic. Reading TSotSoF again has made me want to read the second Hawkmoon series!

Now reading The Judgement of Eve by Edgar Pangborn. I've read most of the other related stories and this one draws you straight in, just like those.
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                          What are those Rider Haggard books like, Dave? I recently read She and Ayesha and enjoyed them immensely.
                          When Haggard was on form he was ripping-good. Nada the Lily is part Tarzan, part Stalin's Inner Circle with an epic scope. Umslopogaas is a worthy ancestor of Conan, Fafhrd & Elric among other Sword & Sorcery heroes.

One does have to deal with Haggard's late-Victorian liberal-imperialism, but that comes with the territory. His villainous half-breeds in Swallow and Elissa are a bit too predictable. The romaniticism is sometimes a bit contrived, though these are still decent page-turners. I'd consider those perhaps lesser works, as compared with say, Nada or People of the Mist where Haggard toys around with some of his Lost City verities (can you really be a "good-guy" if your plan is getting a hold of some ancient treasure the natives have piled up?). She & King Solomon's Mines are very good.

He also wrote some very good short-stories and novellas that aren't Lost City yarns but focus on hunting and travelling in S. Africa (Three Lions, Allen's Wife, Maiwa). Swallow fits in with that style too. They are sort of Bushveldt Westerns.
                          Dave Hardy
                          http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

• "City of Saints and Madmen" by "Jeff Vandermeer"...aka... ???. About 1/3 into it and having a hard time working out what the fuck is going on.

Help?

Des
                            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Thanks Dave. I'll probably end up picking up whatever I come across, though.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Just began re-reading Soldier of the Mist. Love that Gene Wolfe
                                When they had advanced together to meet on common
                                ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                                and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                                each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                                mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                                killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Working...
                                X