Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished the Bob Shaw. Bit of a disappointing end, it could have been done a bit better I feel. Still, overall a good read. Next up is Duke Elric.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• The Lost City of Z

quite possibly, one of the most fascinating non-fiction books of all time !!!

I had never known about the cities in South America, I always thought it was a bunch of hoopla.
      http://www.ewaldbros.com

Comment

• Well, I knew there were a bunch Mayn or Inca or Aztec cities down there (I never can remember which culture matches up with Mexico v. Central America v. south America). Is this Z city something different?
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Just getting started on Sharps and Flats by Maskelyne.
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
            Well, I knew there were a bunch Mayn or Inca or Aztec cities down there (I never can remember which culture matches up with Mexico v. Central America v. south America).
            Shame on you Kevin.

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
            Is this Z city something different?
            Lost City of Z. Sounds interesting.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• The Journey by H.G. Adler

Comment

• Just finished Starswarm by Brian Aldiss and loved it!!
                Just opened a book that was lying around called The Stone by Nigel Tranter,a much maligned scottish author who i always thought was a Sir Walter Scott wannabe but im finding myself getting into this one.
                As the title implies its about those students who stole the Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey in London to bring it back to Scotland.
                Not bad.
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                  Well, I knew there were a bunch Mayn or Inca or Aztec cities down there (I never can remember which culture matches up with Mexico v. Central America v. south America).
                  Shame on you Kevin.

Is this Z city something different?
                  Lost City of Z. Sounds interesting.
                  OK, Gov, I'll fix the situation immediately with a trip to Wiki. That Lost City of Z does sound interesting.
                  Kevin McCabe
                  The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• It is a fantastic book. While I love the flights of fancy that come from great fiction, a non-fiction book that keeps me astounded is something else!

The very end is a real awakening...and in a good way, too.
                    http://www.ewaldbros.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                      OK, Gov, I'll fix the situation immediately with a trip to Wiki. That Lost City of Z does sound interesting.
                      Good man.

Comment

• I'm re-reading Lord Foul's Bane. Love that series.

Just finished Animals in Translation
                        When they had advanced together to meet on common
                        ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                        and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                        each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                        mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                        killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

• Lucky man VW!!
                          I also love that series.
                          Finished with Tranter with whom i was pleasantly surprised and am away to open Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by flutegirlrockz View Post
                            Originally posted by flutegirlrockz View Post
                            The Complete Traveler In Black
                            The Claw Of The Consulator
                            The Eternal Champion
                            Star Trek Invasion: The Final Fury
                            I just finished The Comptete Traveler In Black and I've started Wizard And Glass by Steven King. I'm still reading the other books.
                            I've just started reading B Is For Beer by Tom Robbins. Still reading the other books

Comment

• Good for you FGR. Robbins is a local lad. A hippie who settled up in La Conner back in the days when it was a truly alternative community (its more of a tourist's art town now. More's the pity. I still remember other La Conner characters like the leader of the Alligator Theatre Troupe. When they were broke, he would come down to Seattle with this big ladder and this cute mutt. Broadie, Dog of the Future did a few cool tricks (climbed the ladder, leaped through the Hoola Hoop of Flame) and the Professor would pass the hat saying "Thank You, Thank You, but really, applause are but the echoes of platitudes. Pony up now, there's a good crowd." He even managed to catch the Mayor off guard at a Fat Tuesday celebration. Had him twirling this pencil with a propeller on top, then pointed out the handy-dandy multi-use (roach) clip on the end. All of this on TV. And, he was tame compared to Robbins. It was a different and better time in the Jet City. The people declared through proposition that the enforcement of marijuana laws as law enforcement's lowest priority.

For myself, I'm just finishing off The City and The City by Mieville. I (gasp) think it is a very good read.
                              Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Careful now Kevin!!
                                Just got through the Huxley but it was pretty staid stuff compared to his later stuff.
                                Away to start Beyond Armageddon,a collection of short stories selected and introduced by Our Fearless Leader.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X