Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Liquidshadows View Post
    2. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was the ONLY book I can think of that was genuinely better as a movie than a book. As revolutionary as Mr. Dick was he never did learn how to tell a good story. Besides, I'm a sucker for a hard-boiled detective and that was far and away the best performance Harrison Ford ever gave.

3.Slippery Jim DiGriz is awesome and I should reread those books; I know I've still got them somewhere.
    I have to agree regards So Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Bladerunner. The book was a little too far out for me. As far as the film, I still quote lines from it after watching it 20+ years ago.
    "My mother? Let me tell you about my mother."

I made a point of re-reading the Stainless Steel Rat books. The omnibus of the first three is best. Other parts of the series are good, but sometimes Harrison seems to be going over the same ground. "He" is one of the best villains ever!
    Dave Hardy
    http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

• Just starting Bulgakov's The Fateful Eggs, a.k.a. The Fatal Eggs.
      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Just lately I've read a selection of old ERB: Tarzan the Terrible, Tarzan the Untamed, and The Rider.
        I've also read Imaro: The Trail of Bohu. Good Sword & Sorcery, I like Charles Saunders' books.
        And I have had a feast of Barrington Bayley: The Forest of Peldain, The Fall of Chronopolis, and (currently reading) The Grand Wheel.

If there's anybody on this board who hasn't read Bayley's books (they are mostly out of print), do whatever you gotta to find 'em, but find 'em & READ 'em. Bayley and MM are the two BEST SF WRITERS EVER, I promise.
        Dave Hardy

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jolanthus Trel View Post
          Originally posted by flutegirlrockz View Post
          Star Trek Invasion: The Final Fury
          Is that one of the Romulan\Reman books?

I'm reading the Complete Chronicles of Conan. a nice sized brick to be carrying around in my bag to and from work.
          No it's a Voyager book. The 4th in a series the first 3 being Original, TNG and DS9.

Comment

• Just started The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I'm reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Probably not the SF book to try to convert your non-science fiction reading friends and loved ones, but for nearly 1,000 pages of sprawling future history in a relatively hard science sort of way (nevermind that the Detroit automakers somehow exist hundreds of years from now, the economy was better when he wrote it...) it's fun for the acknowledged geek.
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• Finally got my Star Trek: Vanguard #4 from Borders today.

And also started Citizen Phaid by Mick Farren.
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• i just finished the grapes of wrath. i keep falling back on the classics. like old friends you can count on.

Comment

• Originally posted by buttertup View Post
                    i just finished the grapes of wrath. i keep falling back on the classics. like old friends you can count on.
                    OOOh!
                    That book gave me fits!

I am still working on Gloriana...
                    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Aside from the Lisa Shearin novel, I'm currently re-reading ... well, the three shorts in Song of the Black Sword that used to comprise Weird of the White Wolf. (sorry, not sure how else to put that). :)

Comment

• Finished the Armada book and very good it was, too. The use of first person accounts was very well done.

Next up, I will read 'The Iron Dream'!
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Just away to give The Algebraist by Iain Banks another go!
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                            Finished the Armada book and very good it was, too. The use of first person accounts was very well done.

Read that one long ago. It's a marvelously awful book. Spinrad was basically running a cruel parody of lame SF/Fantasy. It's purposefully dreadful, yet gripping. I love Spinrad's demolition of fascist aesthetics in fantasy, yet I can't help but find the whole truncheon-weilding hero of Helder as great fun. Dunno what that says about me as a reader!

I wish I hadn't lost my copy as it's really a classic and a must-read.
                            Dave Hardy

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Hardy View Post
                              Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                              Finished the Armada book and very good it was, too. The use of first person accounts was very well done.

Read that one long ago. It's a marvelously awful book. Spinrad was basically running a cruel parody of lame SF/Fantasy. It's purposefully dreadful, yet gripping. I love Spinrad's demolition of fascist aesthetics in fantasy, yet I can't help but find the whole truncheon-weilding hero of Helder as great fun. Dunno what that says about me as a reader!

I wish I hadn't lost my copy as it's really a classic and a must-read.
                              Yeah, I read it years ago, too. Had to buy it again, as well.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• "Hell's Angels, A Strange and Terrible Story" by one Hunter S. Thompson.
                                Kevin McCabe
                                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                                X