Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    And that's Snow Crash finished then. A reasonable plot idea with a lot of fat. An OK read all-in-all but, had I not been lent it by a friend, I'd have never made it past the first paragraph, so poor was its writing style. It did get better by chapter three or so.
    I actually enjoyed the frantic style at the beginning, but yeah, the quality of the writing did get better as he settled into it.

BUT

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Just starting an old fashioned sci-fi book(my favourites!)called A Fall of Moondust by A.C Clarke
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
        Now moved on to 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter M Miller. First read it years ago and remember virtually nothing of it, so long overdue for re-read.

I'm getting right back in to post-apocalyptic stories, I've read a good few in the past year, still have one or two waiting to be read, and even more I want to get hold of. Again, mostly.

Why, oh why did I get rid of them in the first place?
        You may want to check out John Birmingham's "Without Warning" which has just been published. A good rollicking end of the world story...
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

Finally polished off "The Day Watch" and heading for "The Twilight Watch". Unrelatedly, had a dream with MM in it...
          Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Do tell more DP!!!
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Groakes View Post
              Originally posted by Me
              I'm getting right back in to post-apocalyptic stories, I've read a good few in the past year, still have one or two waiting to be read, and even more I want to get hold of. Again, mostly.

Why, oh why did I get rid of them in the first place?
              You may want to check out John Birmingham's "Without Warning" which has just been published. A good rollicking end of the world story...
              I'll keep an eye out for it, Groakes, thanks for the tip.
              Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                Do tell more DP!!!
                The Man was up and walking about and not looking too bad. And "Sonic Attack" was clearly audible, but not the version from Space Ritual, the one that came later and I think immediately precedes "Rocky Paths".

Unfortunately it was just a cameo, but I'm sure he's got places to be and books to write.
                Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Just finished Herbert Godfrey's "Time Machine". Still pretty good after all these years!

Des
                  Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I've got a definitive (or somesuch) version of that, Des, published by Penguin. I may just move it up my reading pile now you've reminded me.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'm currently about half way through Olympos by Dan Simmons.
                      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Vineland.

Half way through Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. Finished reading his "Against The Day" recently. Interesting how some of the themes from Vineland have carried over. Frenesi, one of the main Characters, is a descendant of two in ATD.

Comment

Just finished re-reading Watchmen. Starting "A Star Called Henry" by Roddy Doyle (brought to my attention by our very own Gov )
                          Kevin McCabe
                          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Just starting Neil Gaimans 'The Graveyard Book'
                            Looks good!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Concurrently reading Elric at the End of Time and The Sea Hunters II. [email protected] is a pb and easier to carry than the hardback Sea Hunters. Previously I read The Bounty by Caroline Alexander and The Prophecy Machine by Neal Barrett Jr. Neal Barrett rocks!
                              Dave Hardy
                              http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Just finished The Voices of Heaven by Frederick Pohl.

Still reading The Avatar by Poul Anderson and just starting The Weapon Shops of Isher by A.E. van Vogt.
                                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Working...
                                X