Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the middle of reading Larry Niven's classic, The Mote in God's Eye.

But I stopped halfway through and read one of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels. I must have finished it in 45 minutes - I know, shoot me now

lol
    my sci-fi blog!

Comment

• I loved The Mote in Gods Eye but i read it about 20 years ago so its due a re read soon!
      Finished Solxhenitsyn and was blown away by the guys style and attention to detail.The only other one of his i had read was The First Circle and now im hungry for more.
      Am away to start The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland,a novel about the pagan arts back in 14th century Norfolk.
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I just finished reading the "Legend of Drizzt Do'Urden" series of books over the past 2 weeks and then yesterday I read "The Skrayling Tree" to fill out the Dreamquest Trilogy.

I just started on "The Golden Compass"
        "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• re-reading the fall of Kelvin Walker having thought of it lately. London again...
          A: Yes.

> Q: Are you sure?

>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying?

Comment

• Finally got round to picking up the Albert Argyle trilogy by JTS again and finished it off. Very good insight into a certain type of character, very well written. Now moved onto Falstaff by Robert Nye. Another re-read, but so long since, it's like a new book.

Making great strides with the Drake book. Interesting how significant the capture of the Cacafuego's treasure was. Also interesting to see how Drake was utilised as a national hero through times of crisis and war in English history. There is a lot of inference, assumption and speculation in the text but I think this is forced on the author by a dearth of firsthand accounts. Still enjoyable though.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by xifer View Post
              re-reading the fall of Kelvin Walker having thought of it lately. London again...
              A splendid book! Particularly the last line!

Comment

• Choice of Weapons, sir?

Originally posted by SoloRider View Post
                In the middle of reading Larry Niven's classic, The Mote in God's Eye.

But I stopped halfway through and read one of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels. I must have finished it in 45 minutes - I know, shoot me now

lol
                I've got sizes ranging from peashooter to 150mm howitzer with tactical nuclear shells - the Pentagon's having a firesale at the moment real bargains!

Choose your weapons!

On a less serious note, I've finished "The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica" and am now onto Storm Constantine's "Stalking Tender Prey." Shemyaza's cool; I don't know that I like Daniel; I like Lily.
                sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                And incense the power of man with God
                But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                by Peter Cape

Comment

• Having been terribly sick recently, and with little to do but hack and read (and sometimes read hack), I have whittled down the number of books I am in the middle of.

I am reading currently:

Scion: Demigod
                  The Evil in Mirror Lake
                  Doctor Who: Human Nature

And that is it. Which is a record-setting low number of books for me, as my standard is to be in the middle of 10 books, and at the first of the year I was in the middle of 20.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                    Having been terribly sick recently...
                    Sorry to hear that J-Sun - we'd noticed your absence. Hope you are on the up at last!

Comment

• Just finished PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Really amazing book - one of those "idea" novels with distilled prose - like Orwell's 1984 or Animal Farm that show how much you can do with relatively few words.
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                        Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                        Having been terribly sick recently...
                        Sorry to hear that J-Sun - we'd noticed your absence. Hope you are on the up at last!
                        I'll second that J
                        No doubt once you are fully recovered you will be back to your book -devouring self again.
                        Im in the middle of Mick Farrens Jim Morrisons Adventures in the Afterlife.
                        A superb read!!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                          ...Im in the middle of Mick Farrens Jim Morrisons Adventures in the Afterlife.
                          A superb read!!
                          Oooh! Hadn't hear of this one, just looked it up, and I shall now order it! Looks like a superb read indeed.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                          - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• I think you will enjoy it Lucid.
                            A great read!!
                            Just started The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The Wife finished it so I am now reading Gloriana for the first time!

I am loving it so far!
                              "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Into the middle of everything else I am reading the second Corum trilogy. I promised Elwher ages back that I would re-read it and 'do a job on it' for the Wikiverse, and I finally got the kick up the arse I needed.
                                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                                X