Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
    Just finished Blood. What a mindblower, I'm going to have to re-read MM's Multiverse and maybe The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Starting Fabulous Harbors.
    Outstanding! Jack is probably my favorite eternal champion. I read the Second Ether before I read MM's Multiverse, but it turns out the Jack K in my head looks a whole lot like Simonson's. Sam--a little less so.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
      Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      Having just read The LSD Dossier(which was excellent)
      Well, just you be sure to let Mike know that, tf. I agree with you, it's one of my favourite Moorcock novels - and my favourite Nick Allard novel - even though Mike himself doesn't have a very high opinion of it (or at least he didn't before it was put online; I don't know if he's read it since then).
      Will do Brother M
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Thanks for the tips, Doc. This really was a great book. Took me a while to catch on to the interface between the pulps and the narrative, but it paid off in the end.
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Kevin, if you get through the Second Ether series and find yourself wanting more, you might want to give Mad Scientist/Carter Kaplan's Tally Ho Cornelius! a go for further adventures of the Chaos Engineers, although in a slightly different vein.

Now read on...

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Doc. This really was a great book. Took me a while to catch on to the interface between the pulps and the narrative, but it paid off in the end.
            I agree. At first, the only thing I could figure was that Mike included the Corsair stories to show some of Sam's quirks. Then I got it. That aspect gets even more important in The War Amongst the Angels.

I also like Rose a great deal in this series.

I also have to agree with johneffay... Carter's take on the Corsairs of the Second Ether extends Mike's ideas without feeling toothlessly derivative. It is a lot of fun, as well as a genuinely thought-provoking read.

Keep us posted!

Comment

• Just rattled through Warlord in the air this afternoon,am away to open Land Leviathan tonight!!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Half way or so Fabulous Harbors. Thanks for the pointer on MS work, Doc and John. I'll be looking that up!
                Kevin McCabe
                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Just finished Elric: The Sleeping Sorceress and (dare I say it?) you can tell Elric of Melniboné was written to fill in a back story. That's not to detract from the story itself, which races along and keeps you turning the pages (as did The Sleeping Sorceress itself.) Nevertheless, the feeling remains after reading it that if Mike had written the series from start to finish, he would have had things begin very differently to end up where it did. It was strange feeling to realise that.

Back to the Haggard now with Ayesha: The Return of She. The omnibus itself is published by an Indian company and there are just enough typos in She to keep me wondering whether I was getting it as it was meant to be. The second story hasn't started out well in that respect; the introduction by the 'Editor' was mixed up with only the first and last pages in the right places! Fingers crossed for the rest of the text.

Spinrad's 'Iron Dream' is lined up next.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• So Gov, the part I was taking about

Cornelius?
                    Kevin McCabe

Comment

So Gov, the part I was taking about

Cornelius?
                      Oh yeah, I forgot, Kevin. Yep, that's how I understood it too. I do like those little bits like that.

You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Maybe Jerry and Catherine?
                        Kevin McCabe

Comment

So Gov, the part I was taking about

Cornelius?
                          And such a Cornelius family theme-- playing games of identity...

Comment

• My thoughts exactly, Doc. Though maybe its Harlequin?
                            Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Well, there it is, Kevin-- Who IS Harlequin at any particular moment...

I also have to think,

Comment

• Well, Doc, I'll have to have another look (no mean feat, as I packed up the library today - painting/flooring next couple of weeks). I need to see if

Kevin McCabe

Comment

Working...
                                X