Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
    Thanks Dave, that means I have both versions to use as comparisons.
    Afraid not. Unless things are different on your side of the Pond, The Nomad of Time is the unrevised anthology, the revised anthology is A Nomad of the Time Streams.

If you like Bastable, you really should try and get the revised one. Whilst Mike's revisions are not usually that major, The Steel Tzar has loads of material added and is a great improvement on the original imho

Comment

• A Nomad Of The Time Sreams it'll be then.
      Thanks for your graciousity once again Sir John.

Comment

• [quote=johneffay;156586]
        Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post

If you like Bastable, you really should try and get the revised one. Whilst Mike's revisions are not usually that major, The Steel Tzar has loads of material added and is a great improvement on the original imho
        Not really adding anything, but I agree. The revised edition has far more substance and feels far more complete than the original.

Comment

• The White Wolf omnibus has a nice set of illustrations "from the sketchbook of Captain Oswald Bastable", which makes it by far the preferred edition imo.

As we know, you can only get the revised Tsar in the omnibus edition. Or can you?

If you look at the first picture in this post and the third shelf down you'll see, sandwiched between the revised Gloriana and Lunching with the Anti-Christ an 'uniquely bound' copy of the revised The Steel Tsar, which I 'liberated' from a spare copy of the Millennium ANotTS.

"The horror. The horror."
          \
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• You demonstrate unusual commitment to establishing literary purity, David.

Comment

• Well, now that the experts have weighed in, I am happy to say that I have finished The Steel Tsar, that it was the revised version from A Nomad of the Time Streams, that it was pure dumb luck on my part in making the selection, and that the whole thing was one hell of a good read thanks to Our Fearless Leader!!! Next up, Fabulous Harbors.
              Kevin McCabe
              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• My re-read of the Bastable trilogy on hold as im dedicating my next batch of reading time to The LSD Dossier.
                I've never read a whole book on screen before but im sure this book will be a good way to shed my virginity!
                Then it'll be on to Os and Una!!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Re-read the Watchman (Absolute version) as a reminder before the movie - which I shall flock to like the lemming I am. What a stormer that book is. Still splendid after all these years!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    The White Wolf omnibus has a nice set of illustrations "from the sketchbook of Captain Oswald Bastable", which makes it by far the preferred edition imo.
                    It's got pictures! I turned down a hardback White Wolf in favour of the Millennium because I prefer the the cover on the latter. Nobody told me the White Wolf had pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                      I turned down a hardback White Wolf in favour of the Millennium because I prefer the the cover on the latter.
                      Should have gone to SpecSavers.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how anyone can prefer this cover to this cover

Mark Reeve's covers for the Orion omnibus series are - for this reader at least - by far the poorest of the set.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• It's all a question of taste, David:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                          Well, now that the experts have weighed in, I am happy to say that I have finished The Steel Tsar, that it was the revised version from A Nomad of the Time Streams, that it was pure dumb luck on my part in making the selection, and that the whole thing was one hell of a good read thanks to Our Fearless Leader!!! Next up, Fabulous Harbors.
                          I really, really like Fabulous Harbors. If you have the time, I would be presumptuous enough to suggest jumping right into The War Amongst the Angels immediately after you finish FH. There is a particular rhythm to the two of them together...

Comment

• Hmmmm... The Orion covers, in general, don't appeal to me the way the WW covers do. However, the WW covers and bindings are ludicrously cheap.

And sorry to rub in in, but the pictures are quite cool...

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc View Post
                              Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                              Well, now that the experts have weighed in, I am happy to say that I have finished The Steel Tsar, that it was the revised version from A Nomad of the Time Streams, that it was pure dumb luck on my part in making the selection, and that the whole thing was one hell of a good read thanks to Our Fearless Leader!!! Next up, Fabulous Harbors.
                              I really, really like Fabulous Harbors. If you have the time, I would be presumptuous enough to suggest jumping right into The War Amongst the Angels immediately after you finish FH. There is a particular rhythm to the two of them together...
                              Thanks Doc, will do! I started The War Between The Angels once and put it down until I had time to get and read FH first.
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Ive completed Return Of The Fireclown.
                                (Who was it you were really flailling Mike?????)
                                I've yet to decide which MM book is next.

Comment

Working...
                                X