Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What book are you reading at the moment? Part 2

I just started Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Letham. Really good. Recently finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, and am looking forward to finally getting to Blink.
    McN

"I learned: the first lesson of my life: nobody can face the world with his eyes open all the time." Salman Rushdie, 'Midnight's Children'

I'm in the middle of "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill, in which an aging rocker with a sense of the macabre buys a haunted suit off the internet for his collection, and finds out it's REALLY haunted, with some nasty surprises and unintended consequences. Pretty good so far... I like to mix up my genres every couple of books to keep it interesting. I just finished Mike's Elric:Making of a Sorcerer graphic novel before this. It was, as I expected, excellent, as many of you here already know. I would like to find a copy of the Weird Tales with "Black Petals" in it to read soon. I'm usually about 30-40 books queued up to read, but there is always room for more!

Comment

That Joe Hill book sounds good Champ Et,i will have to have a look for it.
      Im getting into The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov.
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I don't think that's an Asimov I've read- but you can't go too far wrong with anything he wrote, really. Let us know if it's good!

Comment

Finally getting round to The Sleeping Sorceress, which I've had for a while.
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. 'Bout Thermopalayae, and probably the best rendition of it I've read.

Ah, I love Mike's stuff, but it's really hard to find his books in South Africa ...
            And I've read so little of the books... Oh well...

Au revoir, Happy 2009!

Sincerely,
            The Doctor

edit: Woot! I'm no longer a Moonbeam Traveller ^^
            Last edited by "TheDoctor"; 01-01-2009, 11:09 AM. Reason: No longer a Moonbeam Traveller..
            I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

Greetings Doc. Yup, I read Gates of Fire and thought it was very good. Great detail on Spartan society.
              Kevin McCabe
              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Still reading The End of All Songs as part of my Mammoth Moorcock Marathon, but also starting Watchmen for the SF Group Read as well as dipping into London Orbital by Sir Seaton Begg's faithful sidekick, 'Taffy' Sinclair.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Just finished The End of Eternity by Asimov and it was a really good read.
                  There was more emphasis on time travel which the good doctor rarely covers-highly recommended
                  Next up is All the Sounds of Fear by Harlan Ellison
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                    Getting right into The Malacia Tapestry by Brian Aldiss.
                    this is probably my favorite aldiss book, i love how shallow the main characters are!
                    Currently reading:

Comment

True Shane i really loved the eerieness of Malacia as well.
                      Everything you need from a fictional city is there.
                      Still opn the Ellison

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Yup, Kevin, espicially as history is geberally biased towards Athens.
                        I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

Having finnished off all five of Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence yesterday (in a timeframe that would appall thingfish), I've now got Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash staring me in the face. Perhaps later: Marrillion are still on the stereo.

Comment

And that's Snow Crash finished then. A reasonable plot idea with a lot of fat. An OK read all-in-all but, had I not been lent it by a friend, I'd have never made it past the first paragraph, so poor was its writing style. It did get better by chapter three or so.

Comment

Now moved on to 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter M Miller. First read it years ago and remember virtually nothing of it, so long overdue for re-read.

I'm getting right back in to post-apocalyptic stories, I've read a good few in the past year, still have one or two waiting to be read, and even more I want to get hold of. Again, mostly.

Why, oh why did I get rid of them in the first place?
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X