Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Gene Wolfe - Urth Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Wolfe - Urth Series

I think it has been said before but anything by Gene Wolfe is absolutely wonderful. The Urth Series is simply awesome.

Thanos

I've obtained a copy of this series based on recommendations from this site, and look forward to reading it. Thanks for the suggestion and reinforcement.
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Great, be sure to post a review of it here so others know what you think.

Thanos

Comment

Try his Soldier in the Mist series too. He is one of my favorites.
        When they had advanced together to meet on common
        ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
        and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
        each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
        mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
        killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Hello

I too love this series - I scoured the 2nd hand bookshops for ages to get the old Arrow paper backs with the cover paintings by Bruce Pennington.

A strange thing - I think it's in the quality of Wolfe's writing which invokes a sense of nostalgia - but when I first read the opening of The Shadow, the description of the citadel, Nessus, the River Gyoll, I felt as if I recognised the place from somewhere, as if I too could remember it. Maybe it twanged some strings deep in my memory about growing up near a great river or something...

The whole story is stunning & I can't think lf anything to compare it with. It's deeply atmospheric & often very poignant. There is a fascinating relationship between Severian & his alien friends who are travelling backwards in time, so that when he meets them they say goodbye to him.

I could go on. It's a true classic! If you haven't read it I still think that it's the best of Wolfe's works.

BTW has anyone read his recent novel, The Knight? I've only seen it in slighly expensive hard back form so far.

Best wishes

Hedgekettle.

Comment

Finished reading the Urth series a while ago. I was dissapointed overall. I found the transition between the first and second books to be poorly done. Severian and his companions are attacked? at the end of the first book at the gate leaving Nessus. Dorcas is whipped in the face, Severian performs what I believe he calls the "two apricots" move on her attacker, and the first book ends. None of what happens there is very clearly written. The next book begins with everyone split up, and no real explanation of what happened. I found this irritating and never really got over it throughout the rest of the series. Imaginative use of words and overall interesting ideas, though.
            \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

correction: The Book Of The New Sun series.... :oops:

Comment

I reread that series a while ago and I still find it amazing. It's one of few series that not only can be read more than once but actually seems to demand it. I had changed so much since the last time I read it (six or seven years ago) and there are so many depths to it that it was a completely different experience this time, although with a hint of nostalgic recognition.

I have also read Free Live Free by Gene Wolfe, which was ok.
                You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

Gene Wolfe is an excellent novelist. (I second the vote for Soldier in the Mist.)
                  But don't overlook his short stories.

One excellent book is The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
                  (not a typo!).

LSN

Comment

everyone says wolfe rocks, Im gonna need to pick some of his stuff up.

Comment

I read the series twice. For me it stands along with anything. Wolfe not only creates this sense of nostalgia, but in his use of Latin and Greek roots to create neologisms, as well as his use of archaic forms, he creates a world that we only see through Severian's eyes.

I always looked at it as "Dickens meets Moorcock". That is how I would describe it to people who had never read it.

Comment

I found the transition between the first and second books to be poorly done.
                        I found that too. I was going alone alright until that point, no real impression had been made, and then it just gets completely scrambled. I can't remember if I finished the second book or not. I don't think I did. I have vague memories of hte main character becoming emperor of whatever realm he lived in. It's rare for me not to finish something.

Comment

I'm currently reading the first book and I'm quite enjoying it. I can certainly understand Suilebhain's "Dickens meets Moorcock" comment.

Comment

BTW has anyone read his recent novel, The Knight? I've only seen it in slighly expensive hard back form so far.

If you're in the States, I know that the trade paperback at least is out, though that is still rather expensive.

everyone says wolfe rocks, Im gonna need to pick some of his stuff up.
                            Same here. I've resolved to (finally) read Wolfe after years of hearing about what a great author he is. I don't think I'll be reading any of his books for a few months though, since right now I'm a more-or-less broke college student who has bought way too many books this semester (including some Moorcock). Quality independent bookstores will be the end of me.

Comment

Just realised I had read one of his books, Urth of the New Sun. I was very impressed, very fluid prose.

Comment

Working...
                              X