Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Historical and Alternate history novels: your favourite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't read any of the books in the poll and am thinking I probably should at some point.

Not sure if this historical fiction could count as alt history, but I'll go with: Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn. It's an account of the life of Brian Boru. The story is predictably violent and bloody, but she weaves an amazing tale set in 10th C Ireland.

Comment

Only just now some digging through some old boxes yielded up a book i had thought lost; a dark vision of the Arthurian legend : The Great Captains by Henry Treece. The copy I'm holding now is the 1980 Savoy Books edition with an introduction by Michael Moorcock. So, this has been a fairly good day by my standards!
      Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

The very first alternative history novel I ever read was Keith Laumer's "Worlds of the Imperium" back in... maybe 1968. It was a whole new thing for me, and I liked it a lot... but there simply wasn't much of it around back then.

I found Andre Norton's "The Crossroads of Time" a bit later, and then Roger Zelazny's "The Guns of Avalon", just to put a different spin on things. And after that, it seemed like it became a more popular subject, until now it's commonplace.

I still get a chuckle when I see that Len Deighton's "SS-GB" and Robert Harris' "Fatherland" are usually shelved in mainstream fiction instead of SF, though...

Comment

Working...
        X