Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which other science fiction-fantasy saga do you like? (Multiple Choice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently enjoyed Jude Fisher's "Rose of the World" trilogy. I loved C.J. Cherryh's "Gate of Ivrel" series, Fred Pohl's "Gateway" and all of Larry Niven's "Ringworld" novels, and the whole "Man-Kzin Wars" series. I haven't found the sequel to Jack McDevitt's brilliant "Chindi," but I'm looking forward to that as well. I read the first of George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" series, but found it a bit diluted from his early work, such as "The Dying of the Light" or the "Wild Cards" series. All of Zelzany's ORIGINAL "Amber" books. The second series was awful and obviously the last two novels were entirely written by Jane Lindskold. She lost the thread somewhere.
    Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

I'd forgotten about the 'Gateway' series, whitewolf. I think the first one was far and away the best one, and the quality declined in order of publication but they still kept you reading to the end and you weren't sorry you had. The collection of short stories was better and it was fun learning about some of the missions which were mentioned in the first books' side panels.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf359 View Post
        I loved C.J. Cherryh's "Gate of Ivrel" series, Fred Pohl's "Gateway" and all of Larry Niven's "Ringworld" novels, and the whole "Man-Kzin Wars" series. I haven't found the sequel to Jack McDevitt's brilliant "Chindi," but I'm looking forward to that as well.
        Some of my favourites too - there are several sequels to Chindi, Omega, Odyssey and Cauldron iirc and wasn't Chindi Book 3 after The Engines of God and Deepsix?

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
        I'd forgotten about the 'Gateway' series, whitewolf. I think the first one was far and away the best one, and the quality declined in order of publication but they still kept you reading to the end and you weren't sorry you had. The collection of short stories was better and it was fun learning about some of the missions which were mentioned in the first books' side panels.
        I liked Gateway as well - I have the last one 'The Boy Who Would Live Forever' on my shelves but I haven't read it yet.
        Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwher View Post
          I liked Gateway as well - I have the last one 'The Boy Who Would Live Forever' on my shelves but I haven't read it yet.
          I didn't know about that one! I shall have to find it.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Philip José Farmer's World of Tiers is a series I've loved since I first read Maker of Universes when I was sixteen (a long time ago).

Comment

Voted for Leiber and Asimov but I also love The Book of the New Sun by Wolfe and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Donaldson. Wolfe's Soldier of the Mist books are great too.

Oh and the first few Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison are fun. Ah I guess I could go on and on...
              When they had advanced together to meet on common
              ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
              and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
              each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
              mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
              killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, accompanied by the Howard Conan stories for me.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Leigh Bracketts Solar System stories. A reoccurring character only appears in three of them but they are all set on the same planets and regions and cities, often at different points in their history.

Comment

Wm. S. Burroughs' "The Nova Trilogy" and "Cities of the Red Night Trilogy". I'm unable to rank one series above the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                      Philip José Farmer's World of Tiers is a series I've loved since I first read Maker of Universes when I was sixteen (a long time ago).
                      Huzzah!

Some one mentions the late and great Philip Jose Farmer. I preferred Riverworld series and the Feast Unknown trilogy. I did think that Le Guin's Earthsea books are a brilliant series too. I think The Other Wind was my book of 2006 or 2007?

David Brin's Uplift series was very good as well.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Another vote for Farmer's Riverworld. It was among the start of my book collecting days as I read the first two in pb ans was so hooked on the story I grabbed the hbs as soon as they hit the shelves not wanting to wait for the paperbacks. As this was in my college days the cost of the hardbacks took a big bite of my budget for reading material but always felt it was worth it. The only problem is now trying to acquire hb copies of the first two books.

herb
                        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I voted for Foundation, Conan and Fafhrd/Grey Mouser.

I would also add Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat, Zelazny's Amber, Herbert's Dune, Dickson's Dorsai and probably others that haven't popped into my head at the moment.
                          Marv (Finarvyn)
                          Eternal Champion fan since the 1970's
                          Discovered D&D in 1975

Comment

Working...
                          X