Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which other science fiction-fantasy saga do you like? (Multiple Choice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted for Leiber and Howard, but I'll add Larry Niven's Ring World and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I'm also a sucker for Glenn Cook's Garret P.I. novels, but I wouldn't call that a saga.

Comment

Norton's Witch World series, both Kline's Venusian and Martian series, Davidson's Karchee series, Harrison's Viriconium series, does Howard's Solomon Kane fit in the box? Not an easy choice for me.
      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Leiber, Dune (although I hated Children of the Dune... couldn't go halfway through it...) and Earthsea for me.
        I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

I've voted for 'Conan' and 'Other' to be honest.

I preferred Asimov's 'I Robot' series. For fantasy, Le Guin's, 'Earthsea', also Sir Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series. James Blish's 'Cities in Flight', were pretty brilliant, I remember. They would make a great TV series. E. E. 'Doc' Smith's 'Lensmen' books, where would George Lucas have been without them?

I went through a phase of Edgar Rice Burroughs, a long time back. 'Tarzan' and 'John Carter of Mars', also the ones set in the Hollow Earth, 'Pellucidar'. Might as well include Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Professor Challenger', while we're at it. Also the screenplays of the 'Professor Quatermass' series.

Harry Harrison's 'Stainless Steel Rat' books, too.

Comment

Apart from Ursula Le Guin's 'Earthsea' books, two other children's series that really stood out were, John Christopher's 'The Tripods' and Peter Dickinson's 'The Changes'.

Very good, indeed.

Comment

KEW's Garden of Evil

Originally posted by Arbas View Post
              Karl Edward Wagners Kane series

David Gemmels Drenai series

Joe Abercrombies The First Law trilogy

I read Dark Crusade a few years ago, but it keft me a bit cold. Then I read Death Angel's Shadow. My reaction was WOW! now I am really getting into KEW's Kane stories. I loved Bloodstone & Darkness Weaves had me on the edge of my seat.
              Dave Hardy
              http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

I really like China Mieville's work though as a couple of others have posted in the thread, I did have a hard time getting through "The Iron Council" ... though I loved "The Scar" and "Perdido Street Station" Their is sooooo much that Mieville can/could do with the world of Bas Lag.

All the original "Amber" books by Zelazny are great. Definitely right up there with Elric for me.

I have a love/hate relationship with Stephen King's "Dark Tower" books. A few of them are excellent .... others ....not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsailor View Post
                  All the original "Amber" books by Zelazny are great. Definitely right up there with Elric for me.

I have a love/hate relationship with Stephen King's "Dark Tower" books. A few of them are excellent .... others ....not so much.
                  Much the same here. How can you put a Poll like this up without Zelazny?

I also have the same love/hate relationship with the "Dark Tower" series. On one hand, it is definitely the finest work King has ever produced, but on the other hand, King never was much of a "Literary Master" in the first place (IMO). I think he is so popular simply because of his vivid imagination, not because of his literary skills...

Comment

Originally posted by seanpmc1 View Post
                    On one hand, it is definitely the finest work King has ever produced, but on the other hand, King never was much of a "Literary Master" in the first place (IMO).
                    Damns with faint praise

Originally posted by seanpmc1 View Post
                    I think he is so popular simply because of his vivid imagination, not because of his literary skills...
                    I've not read a lot, because I don't like him, but I got the impression that his books are more like soap operas with a bit of horror thrown in and that's why they are popular.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                      his books are more like soap operas with a bit of horror thrown in and that's why they are popular.

As far as I'm concerned, thats a pretty good description of his normal writing style. The Dark Tower series though, is totally different than the crap he usually cranks out. Its almost unrecognizable as his work, IMO.

It took him many years to write this series though, so maybe its so different because he actually took his time and for once, actually tried to produce real literature. I think he did, although some will undoubtably argue the point...

Comment

The only King books i have read and enjoyed were Talisman and Black House.
                        They were more like old fashioned horrors unlike others of his i have read.
                        Never read the Dark Tower stuff though but now i may just get round to it!!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

H. Rider Haggard!!! The Haggard Rider hisself!!!

She and Ayesha!

The entire Set In Africa series, from King Solomon's Mines to the last in the series.

I read them almost addictively when I was in my early adolescence, and I think they're part of the reason I'm currently addicted to SF/Fantasy.
                          sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                          And incense the power of man with God
                          But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                          And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                          by Peter Cape

Comment

I've really enjoyed Robert Silverberg's Majipoor series... And I do like Tamora Pierce's Alanna series (yeah, I know it's for children, but it's pretty good); and I also enjoyed Phillip Pullman's HDM series. I'm currently reading one by a girl named Lisa Shearin--sorry to say, that's for my writing requirements for my *cough* job. Right now, the jury is out as far as a judgement one way or the other on that one, though I'm a little miffed by something in her book. Has anyone read it, to know what I'm about to say?

*nodsnods* She's got something very Stormbringer-like in it. I'm not sure what to think of that.
                            Last edited by Laure; 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM. Reason: reprashing

Comment

Originally posted by In_Loos_Ptokai View Post
                              She and Ayesha!

The entire Set In Africa series, from King Solomon's Mines to the last in the series.

I read them almost addictively when I was in my early adolescence, and I think they're part of the reason I'm currently addicted to SF/Fantasy.
                              Just finished Nada the Lily a while back and started on Swallow. Nada should be on the list for fans of hard-boiled Sword & sorcery. It's sort of The Inner Circle (the Konchalovsky movie, that is) meets Tarzan. Mind blowing.
                              Dave Hardy
                              http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Conan, Amber, Lieber and Simon Green's Nightside series. I also enjoyed Chalker's Well World series and Varley's Titan series when I was younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X