Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which other science fiction-fantasy saga do you like? (Multiple Choice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
    Whilst I agree with tf, Asimov also wrote another two on top of the later two: they are prequels and bloody awful.

Mieville - I've just had an unfortunate experience re-reading The Scar. Initially, I read a library copy but, as the whole world except Kevin knows that it's a really top book, I bought my own copy to relive the pleasure. Everything was going swimmingly until page 532 which was followed by page 168: it turned out that a duplicate section had been bound in and I was missing something like 120 pages
    The Gods have sent you a personal telegram John. Time to say Uncle! (gotta love a horrible in-joke pun )
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
      Whilst I agree with tf, Asimov also wrote another two on top of the later two: they are prequels and bloody awful.
      Right John,never knew about those prequels but i know what ye mean.
      Can anyone point to a prequel thats not been pants?
      There almost always about buckage!!
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
        Right John,never knew about those prequels but i know what ye mean.
        Can anyone point to a prequel thats not been pants?
        There almost always about buckage!!
        Actually, yes. Alastair Reynolds The Prefect is set in advance of the other Revelation Space books and it even contains events that led to some of what happened in those books, and it's bloody awesome! Mind, he wrote it in roughly the same timeframe in his own life as the other books, so that might be the secret. It's the coming back to something you haven't touched decades later and doing a prequel formula that often leads to disaster, I think.
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Well done DA
          Always good to see a trend bucked but its still a rare occurence!!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well, I do hope Mieville's next Bas Lag book will be set some time before Iron Council too!

I think an author with a strong sense of their own alternate history ought to be able to jump around the timeline as much as they see fit. Again, it's just the forcing of a direct connection to a previously published work down that timeline, ala Star Wars, that can be painful. So I guess we're in agreement that something that can be specifically marketed as a "prequel" is likely going to be bad.
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I'm an absolute Robert E. Howard fanatic. Barrington Bayley is my favorite SF writer (along with Mr. Moorcock!). Hard-philosophical, wide-screen space opera SF! Not a series though...

I got into Leigh Brackett and C.L. Moore thanks to the introduction to the White Wolf edition of The Eternal Champion.

I've gotten to be a fan of Charles Saunders' Imaro and Dossouye stories. Afro-centric Sword & Sorcery, very cool.
              Dave Hardy
              http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Karl Edward Wagners Kane series

David Gemmels Drenai series

Joe Abercrombies The First Law trilogy

Comment

Greg Bears Eon cycle

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Tolkien, Leiber, R.E.Howard and Glen Cook's Black Company series.

I would like to enjoy Vance, but he pales in comparison to Clark Ashton Smith so much it isn't funny.
                    There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.

--Aldous Huxley

Comment

The question is so open... Let me see, does Gormenghast count as a saga? If so that's my #1 - no contest. His Dark Materials, LotRings, China Mieville is hit and miss but just for The Scar he can go in there too I suppose. What about Dan Simmons Hyperion books - they are amazing. Dune's okay (well better than Foundation anyway IMO). There's too many...
                      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                        Dune's okay (well better than Foundation anyway IMO).
                        I'll disagree with that.

The Foundation series is way better than the Dune series.

I've read Foundation, up through Foundation and Earth, and enjoyed the books.

It took me two tries to get through Dune.

Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were good.

I bogged down in the middle of and abandoned God Emperor of Dune.

I've still got it, so I'll try it again someday.
                        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Picking one of those two series is tough.
                          Dr A's Foundation books just edge it for me mainly because i was always fascinated by the 'The Mule' character.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

That's a hard call, but I think I'm going to have to go with Foundation.

Comment

I would second the Earthsea books and Deryni series and add Andre Norton's Witch World - whilst individual novels were sometimes a bit ropey the whole thing evokes a whole sense of 'otherness' - the nearest someone else came to that was C J Cherryh with the Morgaine cycle and to a certain degree with the Fortress books aswell.

Look, all ladies!
                              Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

It was Howard's Conan stories that got me into the whole book reading thing. I loved to read but as a kid my money usually went on comics. I discovered Conan through them and at about the same time the price of comics started to jump. I then discovered that I could get a book of Conan stories for $.60 while part of a story in a comic cost me a quarter. The art was great but, to me at the time, not worth the extra coin. Little did I know how much that "cost saving" move was going to cost me. From Howard's fantasy it was a short jump to Sf and after a number of years into collecting.

As for series I enjoy other than Conan, Leiber's Fafhrd and the Mouser, Saberhagen's Swords, Norton's Witch World, Drake's Lord of the Isles and Zelazny's Amber among others in fantasy.

In Sf, Dickson's Dorsai, Drake's Slammers and Northworld, Cherryh's Faded Sun, McCaffrey's Pern, Herbert's Dune, Frank, not Brian, off the top of my head. Tying to remember all I have enjoyed over the years gets kind of tough

herb
                                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Working...
                                X