Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which other science fiction-fantasy saga do you like? (Multiple Choice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
    !!?? The Cugel the Clever books are some of the funniest I've ever read. Ironic, inventive, wonderful. Dancers is pretty good, too, and I've never heard of Hengis Napthorn: must check it out.

Des
    Hengis Hapthorn is an investigator by a new Canadian author called Matt Hughes. He lives in a time, just prior to the "Dying Earth" time (sorry, pal, we have different tastes) when magic is soon to take over on the Universe banning Rationalism. His stories are witty, inventive,ironic and wonderful.
    Last edited by Dorian-Hawkmoon; 08-13-2008, 11:25 PM.
    Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
    Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
    Dorian Hawkmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
      I would have been hard put to choose between Howard and Leiber. And, I'm fond of Constantine's creativity and willingness to deal with strong themes. So, while I'm not really sure that the term "saga" is right, chose other and specify Iain M. Banks' Culture books.
      I consider Storm Constantine's Wraeththu one of the most original and beautiful Fantasy series, at par with China Mieville and Matthew Hughes. IMHO those three are the Second revolution in Fantasy (The first being that brought about by Michael Moorcock himself, of course).

Dorian Hawkmoon

Comment

I like Wraeththu a lot. I'll check out your man Hughes. I think Mieville is worse than a Saharan sandstorm on a night without a moon.
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

I like Wraeththu a lot. I'll check out your man Hughes. I think Mieville is worse than a Saharan sandstorm on a night without a moon.
          Agreewith you on Mieville, but certainly he's original.

Dorian Hawkmoon

Comment

I would have been hard put to choose between Howard and Leiber. And, I'm fond of Constantine's creativity and willingness to deal with strong themes. So, while I'm not really sure that the term "saga" is right, chose other and specify Iain M. Banks' Culture books.
            Actually Kevin, this particular poll was set up so you don't have to choose. I selected about half of what's in it, including "Other". Despite the dated flaws of Asimov's foundation, I still think it's a brilliant series, and Leiber and Howard both get my vote event though I read those books ages ago.

In fact, pretty much all of the choices I made in the poll itself were series I read long ago. The ones I listed in my Other post were ones I've read more recently.
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I think Mieville is worse than a Saharan sandstorm on a night without a moon.
              You are, of course, entitled to your incorrect opinion...

Des
              Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air View Post
                Actually Kevin, this particular poll was set up so you don't have to choose. I selected about half of what's in it, including "Other". Despite the dated flaws of Asimov's foundation, I still think it's a brilliant series, and Leiber and Howard both get my vote event though I read those books ages ago.

In fact, pretty much all of the choices I made in the poll itself were series I read long ago. The ones I listed in my Other post were ones I've read more recently.
                I agree on Foundation, though its been thirty or so years since I read it (and Inever did read any of the ones past the original books). In fact, Seldon's line: "Violence is the last resort of the incompetent," is one of my favorites in literature.
                Kevin McCabe
                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

You are, of course, entitled to your incorrect opinion...

Des
                  Well, Dorian-Hawkmoon agrees with me, so there!
                  Kevin McCabe

Comment

Yay Hay!!
                    Its that matching vest and pants in my back garden moment again you two!!
                    If you ever get round to reading the Foundation trilogy again Kevin i would recommend giving the later two a look,i enjoyed them a lot.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well, Dorian-Hawkmoon agrees with me, so there!
                      Curses! Foiled by a small, statistically insignificant, unrepresentative self-selected sample of humanity!!

Muttley!! DOOOO SOMETHING!!!!!

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Curses! Foiled by a small, statistically insignificant, unrepresentative self-selected sample of humanity!!

Muttley!! DOOOO SOMETHING!!!!!

It is not without irony that I note the spokesmen you choose are on par with the author you defend.
                        Kevin McCabe

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                          Yay Hay!!
                          Its that matching vest and pants in my back garden moment again you two!!
                          If you ever get round to reading the Foundation trilogy again Kevin i would recommend giving the later two a look,i enjoyed them a lot.
                          Well, we'll see, TF. My stack (like everyone's) is really, really high! Then again, whats five more?
                          Kevin McCabe

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            Whilst I agree with tf, Asimov also wrote another two on top of the later two: they are prequels and bloody awful.

Mieville - I've just had an unfortunate experience re-reading The Scar. Initially, I read a library copy but, as the whole world except Kevin knows that it's a really top book, I bought my own copy to relive the pleasure. Everything was going swimmingly until page 532 which was followed by page 168: it turned out that a duplicate section had been bound in and I was missing something like 120 pages

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                              Mieville - I've just had an unfortunate experience re-reading The Scar. Initially, I read a library copy but, as the whole world except Kevin knows that it's a really top book, I bought my own copy to relive the pleasure. Everything was going swimmingly until page 532 which was followed by page 168: it turned out that a duplicate section had been bound in and I was missing something like 120 pages
                              I should put that rarity on eBay and use part of the money you get to buy a new copy.

May help to alleviate your frustration!

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I'll go fer 'Foundation,' 'Fafhrd & Mouser,' 'Conan,' & 'Demon Princes' (all great), but I voted 'other.'

Like:

Thieves' World, ed. Robert Aspirin (RIP)
                                Berserker series & Books of Swords series-Fred Saberhagen (RIP)
                                Elije(sp?) Bailey 'Robot Novels'-Isaac Asimov (RIP) (kinda tie in with the 'Foundation' series)
                                Any Jack Vance series--'Dying Earth,' 'Durdane,' 'Planet of Adventure' www.jackvance.com
                                'Pip & Flinx' & 'Commonwealth' & 'Spellsinger' series'-Alan Dean Foster
                                'Deryni' series-Katherine Kurtz--(hmmmm, only one female author in this predominate 'boys club'--gotta work on that!)

And an unsettling trend of dead authors, too. The Great Ones don't live forever . . .
                                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Working...
                                X