Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which other science fiction-fantasy saga do you like? (Multiple Choice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which other science fiction-fantasy saga do you like? (Multiple Choice)

Other than Moorcock's Eternal Champion, which other science-fiction or fantasy saga do you like?
    Asimov's Foundation
    12.70%
    Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser
    23.02%
    Howard's Conan
    19.84%
    Tad William's Otherland
    2.38%
    Peter F Hamilton's Night Dawn Trilogy
    2.38%
    Tad william's Memory Sorrow and Thorn
    3.17%
    Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle
    2.38%
    Storm Constantine's Wraeththu
    1.59%
    Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" series
    1.59%
    Jack Vance's "Demon Princes"
    6.35%
    Kage Baker's "Company" series
    1.59%
    Other (specify)
    23.02%
    Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
    Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
    Dorian Hawkmoon

Cat's Paw with an attached thread of gold to ground out thrown death spells. How cool is that?! F&Gm all the way!
    Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

I've got Howard's Conan saga sitting on a shelf waiting to be read one day, but then I've not read any of the other options on the list so I can't vote for those either.

Does The Lord of the Rings count as a saga? If so, I'd vote for that. Or Harry Harrison's The Stainless Steel Rat novels (well, first five books at least) if we're doing SF.

Trying to think what other series I've read. Eddings' The Belegariad? Enjoyed it 20-odd years ago but wouldn't say it was a favourite. Gibson's Sprawl novels? Didn't finish reading Count Zero. Pratchett's Discworld novels are probably a contender now I think about it. Oh, I suppose I could vote for the BBC's Eighth Doctor Adventures (EDAs) novels 'starring' Paul McGann. I quite liked those (never finished reading them though and missed buying the last couple of years worth. So it goes.)

PS. I moved the poll from the Polls forum since it's explicitly not Moorcock-related in theme.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Raymond E. Fiest's Riftwar saga.
        Chicken Little is alive and well. He works at CNN.

Comment

I'l second LoTR; Stainless and the Discworld and then add Zelazny's Amber, Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising; various comic format series and of course Roger Hargreave's The Mister Men! (Perhaps the latter isn't 'classic fantasy', but what else would you call 'em?)

Comment

Why the poor choice for Vance? Demon Princes was weak and uneven.

"Planet of Adventure", the Araminta Station novels and ahem.. the Dying Earth series... are all far superior.

Rice-Burroughs' John Carter of Mars also merits inclusion.

Des
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Aldiss' Helliconia trilogy,Brins Uplift series and Banks' Culture series amongst many others for me!!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                Why the poor choice for Vance? Demon Princes was weak and uneven.

"Planet of Adventure", the Araminta Station novels and ahem.. the Dying Earth series... are all far superior.

Rice-Burroughs' John Carter of Mars also merits inclusion.

Des
                As for Vance, I suppose's a question of taste. I simply loved The Demon Princes books, Alastor, The Last Castle (how decadently Melnibonean!), The Dragon Masters and, yes, the Chateau d'If. I simply didn't care for the Dying Earth, it DISAPPEARS before Moorcock's Dancers at the end of Time, or the Matthew Hughes's series of Hengis Hapthorn.
                Rice- Burroughs was great, greater stll was Leigh Brackett (another favourite of mine)
                Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
                Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
                Dorian Hawkmoon

Comment

I like Frank Herbert's Dune (Hate The Preuqels), Douglas Adams The Hitchhikers Guid To The Galaxy, Jack Vance's Lyoness Asimov's Foundation and Robot series, Howard's Conan and Gene Wolf's Book Of The New Sun.
                  Last edited by flutegirlrockz; 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian-Hawkmoon View Post
                    I simply didn't care for the Dying Earth, it DISAPPEARS before Moorcock's Dancers at the end of Time, or the Matthew Hughes's series of Hengis Hapthorn.
                    !!?? The Cugel the Clever books are some of the funniest I've ever read. Ironic, inventive, wonderful. Dancers is pretty good, too, and I've never heard of Hengis Napthorn: must check it out.

Des
                    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Howard's Conan
                      Ian M Banks' "Culture" series
                      Gibbson's "Virtual Light" series

Comment

Zelazny's Amber (and not the new sequels)
                        Herbert's Dune (and not the new sequels)
                        LeGuin's Earthsea

Those are probably the top 3.

I haven't read much of Howard's Conan, but his Solomon Kane stories were incredible.
                        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I'll be reading the Coming of Conan the Cimmerian during this year. Along with many other books!

Comment

Too many to list really.

I'm reading Silverberg's Majipoor books. I love Mieville's Bas Lag. C.J. Cherryh's Alliance/Union books are among my favorites (I don't know if a future history exactly counts as a "saga"). Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space series is awesome. David Brin's Uplift series is great. Gregory Benford's Galactic Center cycle is also amazing. Kathleen Ann Goonan's Nanotech Quartet is brilliant and far underrated.

Those are off the top of my head...
                            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I would have been hard put to choose between Howard and Leiber. And, I'm fond of Constantine's creativity and willingness to deal with strong themes. So, while I'm not really sure that the term "saga" is right, chose other and specify Iain M. Banks' Culture books.
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                              X