Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Through a Scanner Dorkily: Sci-Fi Blunders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I seem to recall in Asimov's "Big Sun of Mercury" that they believed Mercury had one side continuously facing the sun...
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
      What did you think of Babylon 5?

      Des
      Love Babylon 5, have the DVDs tho I didn't get into it until I saw it in rerun a few years back and have never delved into the written canon. It was written for people who think and, for the most part, avoided cute which a lot of Sf shows have trouble doing. It had its flaws, usually caused by actors deciding to leave the show but the usually found a way to keep the continuity problems to a minimum. IMHO the best Sf series out there.

      herb
      herb

      Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

      http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl


      http://www.wolfshead.net/books

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
        Love Babylon 5, have the DVDs tho I didn't get into it until I saw it in rerun a few years back and have never delved into the written canon. It was written for people who think and, for the most part, avoided cute which a lot of Sf shows have trouble doing. It had its flaws, usually caused by actors deciding to leave the show but the usually found a way to keep the continuity problems to a minimum. IMHO the best Sf series out there.

        herb
        Agreed! Des
        Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

        Hawkwind tabs

        Comment


        • #19
          Des,

          One of the things I regret is that I came to B5 too late. I always liked the idea that JMS would get on the Net and actually answer questions about the show. After watching it there are a ton I would love to have asked but alas by then the run was done and he has moved on to other things. A site like this would be nice <G>

          herb
          herb

          Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

          http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl


          http://www.wolfshead.net/books

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Groakes View Post
            I seem to recall in Asimov's "Big Sun of Mercury" that they believed Mercury had one side continuously facing the sun...
            I think I remember that too, Groakes.

            Venus was always seemed a great place in the old SF stories. I always wanted to visit the one in Heinlein's 'Between Planets'. All steamy jungles and swamps. Stanley Weinbaum wrote of a similar version. Titan in 'The Sirens of Titan' is a temperate paradise (with a great view) - somewhat different from the reality!
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

            -:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

            Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

            :-: Onsite Offerings :-:


            "I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
              Des
              Sorry to re-start an old thread, but after reading through, this hit like a nail in the head.

              Well, except for Dick and (yeah, the SF is debatable, to some) Vonnegut.
              Last edited by Wanderlust; 07-18-2010, 11:58 AM.
              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

              ~Henry David Thoreau

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                Titan in 'The Sirens of Titan' is a temperate paradise (with a great view) - somewhat different from the reality!
                Hey Guv', thanks for bringing me back to this one. I believe a re-read is in order.

                “Rented a tent, a tent, a tent. Rented a tent, a tent, a tent.”
                Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

                ~Henry David Thoreau

                Comment

                Working...
                X