Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thingfish
    replied
    Through the letter box today came a long awaited copy of The Coming of the Terraphiles by a certain Michael Moorcock.
    Not familiar with the chap but im sure if he digs in and keeps at it he'll do ok!!

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    And of course, the ultimate combo of black rabbit and Art Garfunkle!

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    As far as Watership is concerned I'm afraid I have to say I'm with Mike on this one.* I read the novel a few years ago to my daughter but I'm afraid I found it entirely unconvincing, especially in Adams' characterisation of the rabbits and in places his prose comes close to being practically unreadable. To be fair, the plot's not bad (after all, it's based on The Odyssey!) but on the whole, to me, it's a dreadful, dreadful novel - though ironically I do find the film quite watchable. Go figure.

*See Wizardry & Wild Romance

Leave a comment:

• Chris Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    I loved Watership Down when i read it as well as his other one about the dogs that escape from the experimentation lab.
    My favourite animal fiction though is the series about the mole society by William Horwood(iirc).
    Couldnt put those down.
    Perhaps you might be interested in Bunnies & Burrows?

Chris - Still can't put my hand on that copy, might be out in the garage library. Might look later.
    No comment on the whole B&B thing...doh... but I'm guessing it was Tales From Watership Down you were thinking of, Pebble? Looks worth a read and solves the imminent b'day prezzie problem. Thanks for the pointer

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Took the kids into town today to spend their Christmas money and took the opportunity to visit a couple of a charity shops and the local second hand book stall. Found the revised Gloriana Flamingo p/b for £1.50 in very good condition, which will serve nicely for a reading copy and picked up The Mammoth Book Of Apocalyptic SF for less than half price. Decided to visit the proper bookstores on another day when I don't have two bored lads with me!

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied

Now THERES a risky euphemism if ever i heard one Pebble!

Leave a comment:

• Wolfshead
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Like David, I recently bought a copy of I Am Legend online, though I hadn't yet seen the movie. Since ordering it, I took the time to watch the movie. Now I am debating whether I will bother with the book. To me, the movie was sorely disappointing. Before it was over, I threw my support in with the zombies, saying things like, "Get 'im! Get 'im!"

At the risk of being a spoiler

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    I got a few lovelies for Christmas:

HP Lovecraft: Necronomicon (imposing commemorative hb edition from Gollancz)

Todd Hignite: The Art of Jaime Hernandez (lovely coffee-table profile of the Love and Rockets writer/artist)

McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories

Love Stories
    (Everyman's Library - includes spiky stuff from Roald Dahl and Dorothy Parker)
    (Two anthologies from my wife, who wants me to write more short stories)

Chris Ware: Lint (aka Acme Novelty Library No.20)

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    I loved Watership Down when i read it as well as his other one about the dogs that escape from the experimentation lab.
    My favourite animal fiction though is the series about the mole society by William Horwood(iirc).
    Couldnt put those down.

Chris - Still can't put my hand on that copy, might be out in the garage library. Might look later.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Northern View Post
    Last thing I bought was Watership Down as a gift for Jane, who loves the book but I knew hadn't a copy right then. Don't doubt I'll read it myself; I remember it fondly.
    I found a companion to Watership Down about the myths of the rabbits, unfortunately, I can't put my hand on it at the moment. I did hear Richard Adams on the radio explaining how he started from the Iliad as the starting point of WD.
    Thanks for the info, Pebble; I had no idea but will for sure seek it out.

It was The Plague Dogs, Thingfish. Shardik was also nicely written, more about the people than the bear they danced around.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Couldnt put those down.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Northern View Post
    Last thing I bought was Watership Down as a gift for Jane, who loves the book but I knew hadn't a copy right then. Don't doubt I'll read it myself; I remember it fondly.
    I found a companion to Watership Down about the myths of the rabbits, unfortunately, I can't put my hand on it at the moment. I did hear Richard Adams on the radio explaining how he started from the Iliad as the starting point of WD.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    Winging its way down my chimney this year were Cities of the red Night by Bill Burroughs and Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd and(oh joy of joys!)The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer which was my bible in my late teens/early 20s but havent seen for years!

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Under the 2010 Christmas tree: The Complete Harlem Heroes by Tom Tully, Dave Gibbons and Massimo Belardinelli, and Swords & Dark Magic, ed. Strahan & Anders. Just starting Mike's Elric story 'Red Pearls' now.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Northern
    replied
    Whole slew of books in this thread that I read and loved, so big buying spree coming up for all the good stuff mentioned that I haven't read yet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X