Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read 'The Ipcress File' a while back, Kevin, and absolutely loved it, so I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get round to it.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• I remember, Gov. In fact, that is why I've been looking for it (plus I really liked Caine in the movies). But, its been a long time coming. The libraries don't even have Deighton's old stuff. On the other hand, having it show up at the local used bookstore on the same night as a book by Bayley is pretty cool.
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• A tidy wee haul there Kevin.
        That LeGuin i have not read before but she has became one of my favourite authors over the last few months-Enjoy!!
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I think they're her first books TF. Part of the five book cycle that includes Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed. She's another author I discovered thirty years ago (like Mike) and came back to read in my (cough, cough) mature form.
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Ah the Hainish books Kevin!!
            These are two i need to get hold of then as i have read City of Illusions which was the book that really got me looking for her work.
            Cheers
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
              I remember, Gov. In fact, that is why I've been looking for it (plus I really liked Caine in the movies). But, its been a long time coming. The libraries don't even have Deighton's old stuff. On the other hand, having it show up at the local used bookstore on the same night as a book by Bayley is pretty cool.
              Aw, Kevin I didn't think you'd remember!

The only Bayley I've read is 'Knights of the Limits' which my mother picked up for me when I was 12 or 13. Didn't understand a lot of what was going on but the title story has left an impression to this day. I'll have to track it down again.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• <i>There's no reason why a paperback shouldn't last as long as a hardcover if it's treated right. I mean, yes, if you're gonna stick it in your back pocket, read it in the bath or lend it out to your mates of course it's going to end up looking the worse for wear, but I've got paperbacks I bought 25 years ago that still look like new because basically I've looked after them.
                </i>

David, while treatment does have a lot to do with it a lot depends on the book. I haven't bought softcovers in years except for special edition types that aren't usually issued in hardcover so today's pb may be a better design but when I was younger very few paperbacks were printed on acid free paper so that many of my older books have really browned. Another problem I had was bindings. A lot of the older ones just seem to fall apart after a number of years, mainly seemed to be dryed out. There were some publishers that really put out a quality product back then tho.

Some of the first books I started reading were Conan. Before all the other pastiches came out there was basically 12 books at the time, mainly by Howard, Carter and DeCamp. I collected all 12 tho from different publishers. 2 or 3 of the books were a bit more exspensive than the rest and were from an English house I think. They were a beautiful book for a pb, very smooth and supple feeling. In the 35 years since, while most of my copies have fallen apart due to age alone these books still sit on the shelf like new. I actually searched the stores to find the other books by that printer when I was younger after I got my first one they felt that good even when I got them.

Main point tho wasn't paying the price, which I probably will do eventually but the fact that there are no new copies of that book out there while all the other ones are still available. If they are reprinting the others why not that one? If not, why have people bought the last book in a series without the preceding ones? Seems strange as all hell to me.

herb
                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                  Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                  I remember, Gov. In fact, that is why I've been looking for it (plus I really liked Caine in the movies). But, its been a long time coming. The libraries don't even have Deighton's old stuff. On the other hand, having it show up at the local used bookstore on the same night as a book by Bayley is pretty cool.
                  Aw, Kevin I didn't think you'd remember!

The only Bayley I've read is 'Knights of the Limits' which my mother picked up for me when I was 12 or 13. Didn't understand a lot of what was going on but the title story has left an impression to this day. I'll have to track it down again.
                  Well, Mike is very high on the guy. He even says Bayley's space opera is good because its partly metaphysical (I gather Mike saying space anything is good is a bit like me admitting that China has some redeeming value). Anyway, I have a long weekend coming up for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to read Ipcress, Collision Course, and Camp Concentration (Disch) and, if I'm very lucky, getting a start on the new Del Rey. Speaking of memory, I'm still trying to find Comus. No luck yet.
                  Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                    Main point tho wasn't paying the price, which I probably will do eventually but the fact that there are no new copies of that book out there while all the other ones are still available. If they are reprinting the others why not that one? If not, why have people bought the last book in a series without the preceding ones? Seems strange as all hell to me.
                    Simple economics - maybe the print run (number of books printed) for the last book was cut, so there were fewer of them around? From a publishers' perspective, nobody would just buy the last book of a series, so if the first two of the series didn't sell out: there would still be a lot of them available new.

Make sense? No-one dictates that print runs have to be of the same number of books!

Des
                    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Just got The Sleeping Sorceress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                        Just got The Sleeping Sorceress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Well, put her down Kev'; you don't know where she's been!
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Just to turn this thread on it's head, can I take the opportunity to say that I'm selling off the rest of my PKD collection on eBay this week? I'm also listing some other sf stuff including the Illuminatus! trilogy, The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut), Frankenstein Unbound (Aldiss), A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller) and - a non-sf one - Get Carter (novel & screenplay). So if anyone would like to bid on any of them...

I also plan to list Last and First Men (Stapledon), Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury) and some other stuff later this week.

My current auctions. (ending Nov 29)
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                            Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                            Just got The Sleeping Sorceress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Well, put her down Kev'; you don't know where she's been!
                            My Brother, if she looks anything like Picacio portrays her, I don't CARE where she's been!!!!
                            Kevin McCabe

Comment

• I got my copy of 'Reasons To Be Cheerful: The Life and Work of Barney Bubbles' today, and my cursory glance through some of the pages, images and writings confirms to me this is a wonderful tribute

Comment

• Just got a Ted Sturgeon omnimbus with 'Venus Plus X', 'The Dreaming Jewels' and 'The Cosmic Rape'. Promises to be a pretty good read... especially after what I went through to get it, I was almost trampled by all walks of life at a 25-50 cent sale for charity. I also picked up a leatherbound hardback of Oscar Wilde and some Agatha Christie which I've never read.

Comment

Working...
                                X