Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Tuesday i picked up a copy of Mikes Great Rock n Roll Swindle.
    From the same suop i also bought Senor Nice by Howard Marks.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I know you're going to enjoy both of thise, tf. I'm finding Senor Nice very hard to put down of a night.

I was recently given a copy of 'The Space Machine' by Christopher Priest (another follow up to 'The Time Machine'), by a friend who forgot he already had a copy when he picked it up. I can't wait to read that one either!
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• That sounds good Gov,im going to start on Senor Nice soon.
        I've seen Space Machine but never got round to purchasing.
        Waiting for Quest for Tanelorn to arrive.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• MM

Just picked up a "Nomad of Time" omnibus of the three Oswald Bastable books that I don't have.

$1.00.

Money well spent and a bazzing read, plus I now have my rather splendid MM signed bookplates to put in whatever books I so desire.

Des
          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Excellent deal Des!!
            I love the Bastable books.
            Whats a bookplate?

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
              Whats a bookplate?
              It's what you eat your books off, of course.

Bookplate on Wikipedia.

Welcome back, Des.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Thanks for the well wishes. We're getting there. Trying to get a bunch of berry plants in the ground right now but the stroke slowed me down and now the rain is. Rehab keeping me busy. Just got in Drake's final Lord of the Isles book, The Gods Return, but putting off reading it until hand is a bit stronger. Hardbacks are a beyotch for a one armed man. Was able to somewhat operate a post hole digger the other day so hopefully the time is not too far off.

herb
                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Just picked up Mikes 'The Blood Red Game' today!!
                  First time i've ever seen this book let alone read it so am looking forward to getting into it.
                  No wee label on it though so it looks like i'll have to stick to the crockery .
                  So where do you get these plates/labels then?

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Tf, you do know that 'The Blood Red Game' is also known as 'The Sundered Worlds', don't you? (Just in case you've read it already.)

As to bookplates: Des won one of the 'Original Cover Price' auctions Reinart ran to raise fund for the site. As well as the book they were bidding on, the winners got signed bookplates from Mike. These can be placed in the book of their choice, not necessarily the one they bought/won.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Cheers Gov.
                      No i didnt know that but its ok as i have never had a copy of The Sundered worlds either.
                      I see,when i saw Daves wiki link i had in my mind wee sticky labels or something more mundane but that is a different kettle of parsnips!
                      The guy who owns the book shop i got TBRG from told me he has a small pile of Mikes books which he is going to bring in for me during the week so heres hoping for a gem or two.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                        Just picked up a "Nomad of Time" omnibus of the three Oswald Bastable books that I don't have.

$1.00.

Money well spent and a bazzing read, plus I now have my rather splendid MM signed bookplates to put in whatever books I so desire.

Des
                        I love that book!
                        "The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so." - don Juan

Comment

• Ouch. I am not much of a buyer of paperbacks anymore, usually buying collectible copies of hardcover editions of books I like. I also do not usually a buyer of new books, most of the stuff I look for is older. However I received a B&N giftcard during my recent illness so I figured I woud use it to buy the B5 trilogies which are softcover since it wasn't like spending my own money. Well I went to order them and got most of them but the 3rd book of the Centauri Prime series, wasn't available. Went searching for it elsewhere. Cheapest pb out there is $36. WTF? Everyother book is avaiable as a new copy from a bookstore yet that one is so scarce they are getting that kind of money for a softcover? Most copies are over $50. I have no problem paying that money for a hard cover but paperback I balk at because they very rarely hold up. Gat to find a copy tho because I'm gonna hate to be left hanging but have about 6 books to go before I need to find it.

herb
                          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Pretty scary prices youre being asked to pay there Herb.
                            The guy in the shop came good and he gave me The Black Corridor,The Shores of Death,The English Assassin(hardback) and Gloriana all for the princely sum of £5.
                            The reason i get stuff so cheap is either my natural wit and charm or the fagt that i have handed in hundreds of books for peanuts through the years.
                            I reckon its the latter!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                              I have no problem paying that money for a hard cover but paperback I balk at because they very rarely hold up.
                              There's no reason why a paperback shouldn't last as long as a hardcover if it's treated right. I mean, yes, if you're gonna stick it in your back pocket, read it in the bath or lend it out to your mates of course it's going to end up looking the worse for wear, but I've got paperbacks I bought 25 years ago that still look like new because basically I've looked after them.

Nice result on that £5 haul, tf. I'm slightly envious that you managed to bag a TEA hardcover though.
                              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Yesterday was a good day. LeGuin's Rocannon's World and her Planet of Exile, Deighton's Ipcress File, and Barrington Bayley's Collision Course for $4.02. 'Course, I've been looking for that Ipcress File for some months now.
                                Kevin McCabe
                                The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                                X